PDA

View Full Version : The Forbidden Fist of Bak Mei Kung Fu

FIRE HAWK
04-21-2001, 08:41 AM
The Forbidden Fist of Bak Mei Kungfu
Grandmaster "Fishmonger" Qiang and his Son, Zhong Luo

By Ching Hing Wah

The most notorious villain of kungfu is Bak Mei. Blamed for the greatest tragedy of kungfu history, legend tells us that Bak Mei was a Wu Dang priest who betrayed the southern Shaolin Temple to Manchu tyrants during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911.) The temple was destroyed, the library burned and the monks killed. Actually, Bak Mei is a nickname that means "white eyebrow." Due to the legendary Bak Mei's nefarious legacy, white eyebrows are now the hallmark of evildoers in countless kungfu movies.

Despite this stigma, Bak Mei kungfu master Zhong Luo remains passionate about his family's art. The son of Bak Mei Grandmaster Mai Yu Qiang, Luo comments on Bak Mei's infamy. "During the Qing, before the war started, all the Shaolin temples collected people from all the different kungfu circles, and created their own tournaments. Basically they created their own little world. So the government got intimidated by all these different martial artists who stuck together - getting bigger and bigger - hundreds of thousands - getting too big. The truth is that during the Qing dynasty, 90 % of the army, the bodyguards and those who worked for the government and the emperor, were all Bak Mei style. They don't realize that the reason those guys got hired was because they could really fight."

"Unfortunately, a lot of people think Bak Mei is a traitor because they killed all the monks and burned all the temples - thousands dead. After that, the Bak Mei style disappeared for almost a whole century. The people were saying 'Anybody who does Bak Mei, deserves to die.' Their houses got burned down, their wives got killed, their children disappeared. People got revenge almost the whole century." Bak Mei practitioners who fought to preserve their kungfu faced bitter hardships until very recently.

The Fighting Fishmonger
Today, Bak Mei Grandmaster Mai Yu Qiang is one of the most respected kungfu names in China. But like Bak Mei, Mai Yu Qiang is only a nickname. His real name is Luo Rong Qiang, born in 1938 in Futshan (Buddha Mountain,) Canton. His father, a Hung Gar master, passed away when he was only six, so Grandmaster Luo studied Hung Gar, Praying Mantis and other assorted styles with his eight uncles, each a kungfu master in his own right. In 1957, he began studying Long Ying (dragon form) the first of the two styles that he would eventually master, under Master Jun Gen. Then in 1960, he began his tutelage in Bak Mei, which his great grandfather had brought into his family fighting arts, under Master Lao Siu Leung.

During that time, the Luos were very poor like most of China. Grandmaster Luo cut fish at the wholesale market while his wife cooked for the employees of a big factory. Earning only a few dollars a month made raising two sons and a daughter very difficult, especially since Zhong Luo's brother was a sickly child and required expensive treatments. So in order to make ends meet, Luo resorted to illegal no-holds-barred fights.

Luo organized underground open challenge matches at the market. What's more, he jumped into the ring whenever he could. His son, Zhong Luo, remembers the stories. "If you win, all those wholesale store owners gave a 100 lbs. of rice or a couple chickens or a couple fish, whatever. Those markets were huge, bigger then three Home Depots! All these people from different cities came to pick up fish or rice wholesale, driving little 3-wheel bicycles to market, then to their shops to sell. Every morning, my dad went to market to pick up fish to sell. On and off, he was fighting there about 2 years - sometimes every weekend, sometimes every month, depending on how much injury he got. After that he would teach people to go fight too, and he had a lot of students."

It was there that Grandmaster Luo earned his nickname Mai Yu Qiang (Fishmonger Qiang.) Selling fish for over half a century, he even won competitions for cutting fish. He is so skilled with a filet knife that he can gut a fish in six seconds flat. His son still keeps some of his father's fish cutting awards. Even today, the Chinese press always calls him Mai Yu Qiang, seldom his real name.

But reputation can be double-edged. During the Cultural Revolution of the 60's, the kungfu world suffered as did all of China. By 1972, the Red Guard caught Grandmaster Luo and threw him in prison for disturbing the peace, teaching people how to fight, and having connections to organized crime through his fight organizing. Many of his friends and fellow masters committed suicide in jail. Master Luo remembers being a little boy and visiting his father in prison in 1973. But incarceration did not break their spirit. In fact, Grandmaster Luo covertly taught his fellow prisoners so that when he was released in 1974, he had even more students - ex-cons - to help him teach.

In 1976, the next political event to influence today's kungfu, China's Open Door Policy, occurred. All across the nation, public kungfu schools opened their doors. Grandmaster Luo's school began in his hometown in Canton, the nucleus of southern kungfu. It was a traditional kungfu school with no fees, just lucky red envelopes for the master during the holidays and the commitment to help out when necessary. Eventually, the school became well equipped with 30 sandbags for striking and dozens of rock buckets for finger jabbing training. Over 100 students were attending each night. By 1980, it was the biggest school in Futshan.

Recently, Grandmaster Luo received two of the highest honors for a kungfu master. During the celebrations for 50th anniversary of China last year, he was invited to Beijing to organize a phenomenal 80 lion performance. Luo is one of China's top martial drummers with over 20 years experience. His drum was amplified to lead all 80 lions in one of the grandest lion dance performances ever held. Furthermore, in Hong Kong, he was invited to play at the opening ceremony for the new airport and the longest bridge in the world. On that historic occasion, there were no lions, just the grandmaster and his drum.

Bak Mei at E Mei
There is more to the Bak Mei legend than the popular Shaolin versus Wudang story. Shaolin and Wu Dang Temple descend from the venerated Mount Song and Mount Wu Dang respectively. But there is a third mountain famous for kungfu, Mount E Mei. Beyond the defeat of Shaolin, it was at E Mei Mountain where Bak Mei kungfu demonstrated its formidable power. There, early Bak Mei stylists studied kungfu from a Tibetan Lama when formalizing this style.

Master Luo retells the tale. "Every year, they (Bak Mei masters) beat everybody up in the E Mei mountain tournaments. The Lama Temple in E Mei is huge. It's the biggest temple on that mountain. Inside, there were 4 or 5 different masters and they all have different loyal students. Everyone wanted to run the temple. The temple had money and reputation. Every year people go there, throw some money at the temple, burn incense, buy this, buy that. The Temple made a lot of money and they never paid rent. So they created a tournament. Whoever wins got the most power, more land, whatever. So for almost 20 years, the Bak Mei guys go in and kick people's asses. They fought so many years and never lost. Soft styles, other styles, big circle styles, they all lose."

"Most styles focus on defense. In Bak Mei the defense is to attack. The block is the punch. The defense is to go off and attack, way different from most other styles. It's aggressive - a lot of striking and killing moves. After they won so many years, the Qing dynasty government wanted to kill all these martial artists, so they paid whoever they could. They hired a lot of Bak Mei style people to start a war with the kungfu circle. When the big war was going on, 90% got killed by the Bak Mei people, so the Bak Mei style got a huge reputation as a traitor style because they killed their own kungfu people. After that revolution died down, the Bak Mei style almost disappeared. That doesn't mean nobody was studying and training -- only that the people cannot tell others. If people knew you were training in this style, you would get killed. If someone's grandmaster got killed by your style, and you're Bak Mei, they come after you. So after 100 years, it comes back out."

tnwingtsun
04-21-2001, 09:16 PM
I read that in a magazine,forgot the name of it though,I belive his son has tatoos?
same guy??
BTW,I think you should have the title
as the forum's Southern Kung-Fu serch engine. ;)

RENEGADE_MONK
04-21-2001, 10:38 PM
Good Post Hawk thanx for the info~~

sui-fuw
04-22-2001, 12:05 AM
fire i won't take much of your time.you definatly caught my eye with this post.your pak-mei knows of our pak-mei,yet you havent heard of hak-ka pak mei.the tournaments that are held today in HK,when hak-ka enter forms of ti-pu,guw pu chui,you guys loose with your sipp batt moor.so i don't think you can back your words.[your reseach is from book not from hart].

TN,you 1 of andys student?good your k.f is crap too,just like limp gings,ask andy about my lineage and how powerful the hak-ka ging is.

limp ging.i have nothing against you.your web site is impressive[i don't know you]i understand you,that your trying to earn a living.but idon't have to agree with you do i?like i said your no threat.[i just thought you might of been].

fiercest tiger
04-22-2001, 12:58 AM
do you know sifu andy troung? he is bak mei and you are too right!! so why you disrespecting your style for. i dont get it man...

im no threat to you thats good, but form demos are just that, when you fight its completely different. you havent got time to set up a stance or do a impressive form. just react!

the thing is sui fuw is im not trying to compete against anyone here, i teach and i have fun doing it. my students learn something and they are happy.

i dont have anything against you too, but i dont know why the insults for, to other sifu's.

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

FIRE HAWK
04-22-2001, 01:46 AM
I did not write the article Ching Hing Wah Did.And i dont practice Pak Mei and i have herd of Hakka pak mei.sui fuw i think that you might be the sifu from the Caacma Pak mei website i have reed his articles and he sounds like you could be him.
sui fui are you the sifu from the Caacma Pak Mei website.People go read the Pak Mei articles on the Caacma websites this guy sounds like he could be sui fui.http://www.pakmei.net/default.htm

FIRE HAWK
04-22-2001, 01:52 AM
http://www.pakmei.net/articles/ARTICLES%201.htm

FIRE HAWK
04-22-2001, 01:53 AM
http://www.pakmei.net/articles/PAK%20MEI%20%20ARTICLES%201.htm

fiercest tiger
04-22-2001, 02:26 AM
thanks firehawk. :D

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun
04-22-2001, 11:51 AM
you said....

"TN,you 1 of andys student?good your k.f is crap too,just like limp gings,ask andy about my lineage and how powerful the hak-ka ging is"

You talking to me sweetheart??,I posted my teachers on my profile and where I live.
Hak-ka ging maybe good but I haven't seen from you,just alot of trashing other ppl.

If you're not a punk stop sounding like one.
OK,I'll ask Andy how big your superman cape
is.
And BTW,My Sifu's first Sifu was Ng Nam King,his
other being Cheng Beng-fatt.

Other than that,FIREHAWK keep up the good work on finding info

;)

[This message was edited by tnwingtsun on 04-23-01 at 03:01 AM.]

sui-fuw
04-22-2001, 06:20 PM
TN thats bull,there is no way you can take that lineage[no way]you haven't seen sh*t from me? thats ok i'm not proving,if you can't accept,fine.

fire,miss-read your post my appologies.and no i'm not that guy,however thanks for info,cause i made the connection with MD.

F.T,andy nothing to do with me.you don't know why the insults to other ma's?
can you remeber the thread on the difference between hak-ka and cantonese pak mei?
1. we had fun
2. no mercy
3. those guys ran the show of bs
4. you wher great,but then it went to your head,listen i had respect for you,but never the less was werey.now no problem,i think i know your intentions for humanity.

so,we are indifference.k.f is in termoil,i don't want to be draged in.so what i'm trying to say you lot need to wake up and stop riding on some-one elses back[not just you F.T]there are to many poeple with" my line is from clc"or from "yip man" or"pak mei hands"etc when its all b/s

but then again i talk sh*t.

sui-fuw
04-22-2001, 06:31 PM
fire i looked at the web site and there another b/s no responssile club and they are white.no dis respect but you white are easy to con when it comes to the eastern arts.

Watchman
04-22-2001, 09:05 PM
That's very true. Those of us of caucasion extraction are easily conned concerning the Asian arts.

I wanted to earn 20 different multi-colored belts, win a bunch of cheap trophies, and open up a multi-national money scamming enterprise when I started kung fu, but only ended up becoming a good fighter. What a con!

"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." -- Confucius

meltdawn
04-22-2001, 09:49 PM
This guy denegrates more demographic groups than the South Park movie!

Say, SF, you usually refer to me as MD, so what does this mean?
" however thanks for info,cause i made the connection with MD."

Sui-Fuw's Top Ten Reasons Your Kung Fu is No Good

1. You are white. Whites get conned. Never mind the Fulan Gong - there are probably no hakka members anyway.

2. Your lineage is not good. Mike Tyson better find my teacher before people find out his boxing is no good.

3. You tell people who your teacher is. When you do that, the come kick his butt, then your teacher is no good. If nobody knows, nobody can prove it.

4. You are a female. Never mind the 500+ female entries in the Chinese National Skills Roster - they are men in drag.

5. You have sex. Once you have kids, your kung fu is no good, so you can't teach them anything. CLC and LYK did it via immaculate conception.

6. You aren't hakka. Only hakka know good kung fu. Doesn't matter if you can trace 17 generations thru CLC's village. You are not hakka.

7. Your father at the age of 12 did not see CLC. Mine did.

8. You don't have hakka ging. Only hakka under my hakka teacher can get hakka ging.

9. Your forms lose in competition, so you can't fight.

10. You can spell. Poeple who spell and read books obviously can't have good kung fu.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

sui-fuw
04-23-2001, 12:11 AM
yes most of that is true,through my eyes,some of it is that of what you wish,so that you can put me in a catagory.so sorry.whats up you don't feel safe cause you can't back it up?you already made your mind up about me,that i talk sh*t and my k.f is worst,so why post or react.i don't complain or whine like a mule to you about the way i'm bieng treated,by certain members,do i? cause they are entitled to their own opinion.MD

meltdawn
04-23-2001, 12:38 AM
WHY doesn't anyone answer my direct questions on this board????? (I'm sure that one won't get answered either.)

Say, SF, you usually refer to me as MD, so what does this mean?
" however thanks for info,cause i made the connection with MD."

sui-fuw
04-23-2001, 12:48 AM
medical doctor of course

BIU JI
04-23-2001, 12:51 AM
But after all you still don't reveal yourself or your sifu because you are just a TROLL with no credibility. Come on , put a photo of yourself on here and we can see for ourselves the immense power radiating from your arse because we all know your **** is awsome.

**** it you're going to show us all aren't you.So what gives you such an "indepth" knowledge of FT? Are you just naturally gifted or maybe because you are closer than you'd like us to think heh! Trolls like you get found pal and you will be found out , don't worry just keep talking, I like it when you do!

sui-fuw
04-23-2001, 01:08 AM
everything you say is true,there,problem solved.teach me now,show me.my k.f is crap please help me to understand.[i'm not joking]

is the couplet the only way to reach ging?or ttfc.i've heard there are many ways,is weights another one?please advise me as i want to learn.

handsome
04-23-2001, 01:49 AM
Fire hawk--i read the same article a few months back. That Zhong Luo was a litte immuture--Jeff and Mike had some exchange sparring with him about three years ago in Califoria, that's no big deal about this Bak Mei stuffs, both Jeff and Mike from Chris Chan's Wing Chun lineage, by the way Zhong Luo married to Chris Chan's student and mixed his Bak Mei with Wing Chun Dummy--that's the last thing Chan's student told me about this Bak Mei guy. Eddie Chong is another Bak Mei master from Califoria, he's also a Wing Chun Sifu.

tnwingtsun
04-23-2001, 02:59 AM
"TN thats bull,there is no way you can take that lineage[no way]"

Well I'm sorry you're jealous about my lineage,
My Sifu,Dr.YQ Wong was Ng Nam King's diciple
and studied under him to the day Ng Nam King died.
He also studied under Cheng beng fatt up to his death also.
He is very close to Chin(Suey Dor) of New York.
Suey Dor was on of CLC's diciples.

You sound so insecure and hostle towards
other Bai Mei people.

This is not the attitude I was taught
to project,its sad that you are your worst
enemy.

It is my hope that you will dispell with this bitterness that controls you before it
eats you up inside.

It is obvious that your kung-fu on a maturity
level is child like.

You say my lineage is wrong but you are afraid
to reveil your's.

If you are proud of your Sifu and your lineage
why hide it?,maybe its because you have no roots
or lineage and your just a lost cause.

I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt,
whos your Sifu??
I think you are an out cast,thats
why you hide and refuse to reveil yourself.

As a human being I feel sorry for your tormented
soul.

So Sad........... :o for you.

BIU JI
04-23-2001, 02:26 PM
You have to be one of the slowest twits to breaze the forum. You've accepted challenges before and still don't say who you are, where you train who's your sifu etc, ooo, the secret type are you . Well if you're in OZ we can arrange it but you're probably "conviently " in another country. Well which is it knob jockey?

As I've said before I'd love to give you a lesson pal, I want to see this "ging"you cr*p on about but I doubt you've got enough to blow your nose.

sui-fuw
04-25-2001, 01:10 AM
no suprise.can't teach me bui yan.can't answer cause you you can't achieve ging.i knew cause your si-fu cant.ultamate test and you failed with 1000 members as witneses.how do you feel?

tn,your analyse of me is quite up-lifting.i applaud with both hands.your k.f is not bad at all,at least your trying.

clc only taught 7 persons and 4 taught to earn money for him.cheng bing fatt,one of the sons knew 2 systems,one to earn money and the true one.which system is yours?let me guess...its the true one...
the money making one we call the DEAD SYSTEM.
the other,if your not hak-ka you won't know what its called.try to get that out of me.

the reason why i do not tell you my lineage is because 1. its not just mine
2.your not that good to get it out of me yet[but getting there]
i will tell but you've got to give me reason to.
you said "you should be proud of your lineage and not be afraid to tell of it"
to me you lot are trying to show off and prove how good your k.f is,by your past si-fus.then i come along and burst your bubbles.
who really cares who your si-fu is,the question remains is your k.f any good or can you teach it WELL.

who's insecure now?remember i talk sh*t,i don't have to live up to anybodys expectations do i F.T.

fiercest tiger
04-25-2001, 02:26 AM
typical answer from a wanna be! are you embarrissed or what? im not living of anybody but myself, i dont have to use my sifus name and i dont if you read my school emblem ****head. im known in the chinese community well enough. you see you have built yourself into a corner, because you have talked bad to people and about there style. if you tell who your sifu and style will be getting a quick knock at the door and you will be in all sorts of trouble. hehehehehehahahahahahahahahahahahheheheheheheheheh ehehehehehehehehehe ****ing idiot!

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun
04-25-2001, 02:36 AM
"i will tell but you've got to give me reason to"

If you're in Amercia I will come to you and
show you my dead fist.
Thats an OPEN CHALLANGE to you.
I want to see how good your kung-fu is,
now you have a reason,
So accept or shut up,I will come to you.

[This message was edited by tnwingtsun on 04-25-01 at 05:42 PM.]

fiercest tiger
04-25-2001, 02:44 AM
:D

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun
04-25-2001, 03:08 AM
If I get him first I'll keep him alive after
I'm done with him,hell I'll even nurse him back to health,after I tap um,tie um,and stash um,
I'll fly him myself to ya,
SF,you crossed the line when you insulted FT's Sifu

fiercest tiger
04-25-2001, 04:00 AM
whats up my brother?

The guy has no morals and we will see when his sifu dies how it feels. yes ill be waiting for you here :D please please bring him to me.

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Kevin Barkman
04-25-2001, 05:02 AM
I have two things to say about the above....

meltdawn
04-25-2001, 05:59 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth.

BIU JI
04-25-2001, 06:30 AM
Exactly what was the test you fudge packer?!

By all means come around and I'll give you the answer in person you chicken sh!t. You're too pathetic to even laugh at, you're all fire on the key board aren't you knob jockey but I'm sure in person you'd crumble when put to the test, your type are the reason other martial Arts think kung fu is flowery, all talk and show with empty hands(except for you worm in it).

You do forms (badly) at teenage parties and blue light discos don't you!! I'd love to see your spindly little legs trying to hold you up while attempting some form a 12 yr old could do, I can picture you now (disgusting as it is), need some more training stick boy, haha. I crack myself up! Though you sound like some one we had on here not too long ago, wouldn't want to connected there either I tell you.

Though I do thank you for giving an avenue to relieve stress, other than that well,,,,

fiercest tiger
04-25-2001, 07:20 AM
explain?????? please

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

CLOUD ONE
04-26-2001, 02:46 AM
tn- are you having trouble with what you have been taught?
Can you clarify what relationship do you have with F.T sifu?
You must be an accomplished M.A.
First you study Pak Mei, then Wing Chun, now YKM.
Haven't you been taught a satisfactory system?
Well search no more F.T will gladly take you in, won't you F.T?
How's it going F.T?
Have you read the post on ''China survey tape''?
Why are you so interested in Sui Fuw's lineage?
I can tell you now you can't get through the door!!!!
How's it going SUI FUW?
It seems you have been busy. Well It looks like your not going to win any popularity contest here
:)

fiercest tiger
04-26-2001, 04:48 AM
the only door your getting is suw fuw backdoor!!

i supose he lets you in there every night. :p

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun
04-26-2001, 10:47 AM
enough said......

handsome
05-08-2001, 01:15 AM
hey guys--I've just recevied an email from HK, it said somethings about A FIGHT between wing chun and bak mei in Fatshan China. AS the story goes...
It happened about 8 days ago , Bak Mei Sifu Zhong Luo was in China...during one of the MA meetings, he openly said something about somebody...,then the person ( from local Fatshan Wing Chun Camp )
came out to chanllege him and broke some of his rips...at this moment , there're still lot tensions back in Futshan... It's just one of those old tradition kung fu fighting in real life.

GeneChing
12-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Man, I just wanted somewhere to post Taiwan's hottest Fishmonger and a Fishmonger search pulled up this gem.

Here's the original cover story from our DEC 2000 issue (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=130): The Forbidden Fist of Bak Mei Kungfu: Grandmaster "Fishmonger" Qiang & his Son Zhong Luo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=131) by Ching Hing Wah.

And here's Taiwan's hottest Fishmonger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=32&v=QKCtRJ4iMEQ