PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun in Las Vegas?

Yung Apprentice
10-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Is there any good Wing Chun schools in Las Vegas? If so, has anyone trained in the schools, or sparred against students from the schools? Are the sifus credible?

hunt1
10-25-2002, 06:23 AM
There are 2 that I am aware of.
Steven Leung was a student of Duncan Leung. From e-mails I know he knows his WC and how to use it. He had a very good rep when he was in New York.

Blaine Collins from the William Chueng line. Have heard many very good things about him through the years.

Chum Kil
10-25-2002, 07:04 AM
I second Blaine Collins, he's very good friends with my Sifu, they trained together for many years.

Mr. Bao
10-25-2002, 07:25 AM
I would recommend that you study with Steven Leung he studied with Duncan Leung and my teacher Alan Lee. I haven't met him personally but I heard good things with him. So do your research and judge what wing chun works for you. Keep an open mind and check out all your resources.

Personally, the wing chun that Sibak Duncan Leung and Sifu Alan Lee teaches and practices is pretty hard core and plenty of physical contact. Good luck with your research.

Bao

aelward
10-25-2002, 10:47 AM
We have a branch in Las Vegas as well, check it out if you have a chance:

www.lomankamwingchun.com

The instructor, Bradley Temple is a good friend of mine. He also says there is a Yip Ching-affiliated school on the Strip.

yenhoi
10-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Havent met Steven Leung but have visited his school, looks pretty good :D

Yung Apprentice
10-25-2002, 06:40 PM
Does anyone have an address for any of the schools for Blaine Collins, Yip Ching, or Steven Leung, or at least a school name? They are not listed in the phone book. Does anyone know the differences from the different lineages of schools out here?

Mr. Bao
10-25-2002, 06:50 PM
YA:

You have three so far:

William Cheung's traditional wing chun method which is very different from our modified version of wing chun. That is Collin Sifu's branch.

Yip Ching is Yip Man's second son. He is the son of the grandmaster so his wing chun must be correct. That is Temple Sifu's branch.

Duncan Leung a private student of Yip Man. He doesn't have all the pictures with the old man Yip Man but people thinks he is pretty hard core. This is Leung Steven Sifu's branch. I must always mention that Leung Steven also learned from my teacher Alan Lee.

My suggestion is to look up William Cheung, Yip Ching, and Duncan Leung on the net. I am sure you will find the proper information on these teacher.

Bao

Atleastimnotyou
10-25-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Bao

Yip Ching is Yip Man's second son. He is the son of the grandmaster so his wing chun must be correct.

oh is that how it works? Wing Chun is genetic?

Mr. Bao
10-25-2002, 07:25 PM
Some people go and study for the genetic reasoning. Like Yip Man's love juice carried all of his wing chun knowledge. LoL. Or that Yip Man must have taught wing chun everyday to his sons. My dad is a CPA, I hate math and yes he taught me math. But I still suck in math and i am not a CPA. LOL.

Bao

Yung Apprentice
10-25-2002, 09:34 PM
I got a number for Blaine Collins's school. I also read somewhere on the net that he is no longer part of WWCKFA? What is that. I didn't find much about Steven Leung. Other than he has some videos for sale. Does he even teach out here? I also found a school called Vegas Wing Chun Academy, and another school ran by some guy named William O' Connell. But didn't find much on him. Does anyone know anything about this guy?

aelward
10-26-2002, 12:52 AM
Bradley Temple is a student of Lo Man Kam, NOT Yip Ching. He just said that there was a Yip Ching school on the strip. So there are at least four schools in Vegas.

Yung Apprentice
10-26-2002, 03:22 AM
I would be interested in learning where that school is located too.

Yung Apprentice
10-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Does anyone have any information on the Yip Ching school out here, or Steven Leung, as far as a number or an address? Also, has anyone heard of a William O'Connell who also teaches here?

Watchman
10-26-2002, 05:51 PM
Yung:

You can get the contact info for the Vegas Ip Ching school by emailing info@wckfc.com.

I don't have the address with me, but the school is on the far south end of Las Vegas Blvd.

Mr. Bao:

"Or that Yip Man must have taught wing chun everyday to his sons."

In Ip Ching's case, that was true. He lived with his father in Hong Kong for ten years. Before that, he started learning Wing Chun from his father in Foshan when he was 13 before Ip Man fled the communists.

Whether or not this makes his Wing Chun "correct" as far as his training under Ip Man is concerned is something you have to evaluate yourself.

old jong
10-26-2002, 05:54 PM
Hey Watchman!...It's been a while eh?...;)

Watchman
10-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Yes sir, it has. I see you're still keeping everyone in check.

old jong
10-26-2002, 06:12 PM
I bet that you have been watching in the background all this times. Are you back for good?....;)

Yung Apprentice
10-27-2002, 08:03 PM
Oh snaps! Watchman is back! Cool! A Watchman, last time I heard from you, you recomended another Wing Chun school here, do you remeber which one that was? Thanx, I will email them.:)

Mr. Bao
10-28-2002, 01:41 PM
Yung Apprentice,

What is the latest news of your wing chun journey? What sifus have you met and what did you think so far?

Bao

Yung Apprentice
10-28-2002, 04:31 PM
I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding school addresses. I'll I really have is one phone number, that when I called two days in a row, it was buisy. I would like to get all of the addresses, so that I may go and visit all off them, one after another. But I sent out two emails yesterday, one to Steven Leung, and one to the email that Watchman gave me to ask about the Yip Ching school.

Yung Apprentice
10-28-2002, 07:17 PM
I got a reply from the email of Wckfa.com and they gave me a number for the Yip Ching lineage school. It is taught by Sean Meyer who is certified.

Mr. Bao
10-31-2002, 10:01 PM
Has Steven Leung email you yet?

Good luck keep trying.

Yung Apprentice
11-01-2002, 02:42 AM
Nope. Oh well. I'll give the Yip Ching school a call tomorrow. I plan on visiting some schools on Monday.

Yung Apprentice
11-01-2002, 03:05 AM
Nevermind. Just checked my emails and he replied. He teaches only private lessons, and at your place. But my place is way to small, and I would like to go to a school, so that I can spar people.

TjD
11-01-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Bao
Some people go and study for the genetic reasoning. Like Yip Man's love juice carried all of his wing chun knowledge. LoL. Or that Yip Man must have taught wing chun everyday to his sons. My dad is a CPA, I hate math and yes he taught me math. But I still suck in math and i am not a CPA. LOL.

Bao

while this may be true in some cases, its not in this one. ip chings wing chun is top notch. i've had the opportunity to train with him and it was one of the most beneficial wing chun experiences ive had (not to mention going to dinner with him, my sifu and a few other students :D ). he's also an extremely good and modest person from what i've seen/heard

Mr. Bao
11-01-2002, 08:12 PM
TJD:

I haven't met Yip Ching but have met Yip Chun. I have heard bad things about both sons of Yip Man. I like Yip Chun which I've found to be a funny and kind person. His student terrence yip teaches in new york city. I didnn't agree with some of his ideas but that is my opinion. I hope to meet Yip Ching some day in the future. I have met some of Yip Man students such as Duncan Leung, William Cheung, Harkin Cheung, Yip Chun, and my sifu Lee Chee Kong.

Too many people here thinks too much of sons of famous martial artists or famous anything. Kung fu is hard work period. It has nothing to do with genetics. You can also apply this to any field of knowledge. People have to keep this in mind. I am glad Yip Ching was pleasant and you had a nice experience with him. I hope you will meet many more of Yip Man students.

mun hung
11-04-2002, 01:22 AM
First off.....Watchman! How the hell are ya? Good to see you back on the forum. It must be at least a year or two. Hope everything is well.

Yung Apprentice - in regards to Steve Leung, I would strongly suggest visiting him. Steve is a very dedicated, knowledgable and skillful Wing Chun man, not to mention a very cool guy. Private lessons with him would benefit you greatly.

IMHO - forget sparring for now. Finding the best possible SiFu should be the priority. Good luck.

Yung Apprentice
11-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I am thinkin about it. But there are a couple other excellent teachers out here too, who have schools in which I may test my skills against other students, and in the long run may be a lot cheaper than private lessons. One problem I had with TKD, was not enough actual sparring. We would do some light contact and some point but, but not enough medium to full. So I never really got to try out my skills.

Sonic
11-26-2002, 05:22 AM
Yung Apprentice

I also live in Vegas. You can e-mail me at mr2mecca@lvcm.com and we can talk more about WC teachers in Vegas.:cool:

Phil Redmond
02-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Blaine Collins is responsible for William Cheung coming to the States. Het met Sifu Cheung in Australian while in the US Navy. William O' Connell is one of the very first students of TWC in the US. He's right after Blaine Collins.

Phil Redmond
02-29-2004, 07:04 AM
I have to agree that Steve Leung is a really good WC practitioner. He was my sihing at Duncan's school in NYC. We still stay in contact.

Sonic
02-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
Blaine Collins is responsible for William Cheung coming to the States. Het met Sifu Cheung in Australian while in the US Navy. William O' Connell is one of the very first students of TWC in the US. He's right after Blaine Collins. I don't think Collins Sifu teaches in the Las Vegas area any more.

Sonic
02-29-2004, 01:25 PM
I have to agree that Steve Leung is a really good WC practitioner. He was my sihing at Duncan's school in NYC. We still stay in contact. Just wondering, why do you prefer TWC over WC?

Phil Redmond
02-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Well, after 13 years under sifus in various WC lineages, (including at least 2 who learned from Yip Man), I prefered the forms, footwork and combat strategies etc., of TWC. I think Sifu Cheung says on the honor list on his site about me that I was a Sifu when I met him in 1983. After the first week of learning from him I decided to give up being a Sifu and to become his student and started from the beggining. I went back to NY and told my students that I was no longer a Sifu and that I was learning TWC from scratch. For the record he told me that wasn't neccesary that I give up my other WC training and start from the beginnng again. He said that what I learned in the past could be used effectively if I applied it correctly. He never tried to convert me. That made a good impression on me. I decided on my own that I would devote my training to TWC.

yuanfen
02-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Different stories- different folks. I understand and respect Phil's s
journey.. And I can understand and respect people chosing what they do.

For me- I already was fairly familiar with several MA styles, MA related sports and a fair amount of sportive and serious real world experience.

I picked WC in 1976 after considerable homework- was lucky( yuanfen factor) hada great version available in Tucson (Augustine Fong wing chun) a mile or so from where I lived at that time-was fascinated even as a beginner with the logic, depth, applicabilty and the versatility of the art and have never looked back or regretted it- even after exposure to other substyles or arts. Good WC has both a great set of concepts, principles and curriculum and a sure fire way of developing individuality. I continue to evolve in MA skills without switching arts.

joy chaudhuri

Sonic
02-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Well, after 13 years under sifus in various WC lineages, (including at least 2 who learned from Yip Man), I prefered the forms, footwork and combat strategies etc., of TWC. I think Sifu Cheung says on the honor list on his site about me that I was a Sifu when I met him in 1983. After the first week of learning from him I decided to give up being a Sifu and to become his student and started from the beggining. I went back to NY and told my students that I was no longer a Sifu and that I was learning TWC from scratch. For the record he told me that wasn't neccesary that I give up my other WC training and start from the beginnng again. He said that what I learned in the past could be used effectively if I applied it correctly. He never tried to convert me. That made a good impression on me. I decided on my own that I would devote my training to TWC. That's cool. I studied TWC under Collins Sifu untill he closed his school here in Vegas. I now study under Bradley Temple Sifu (Lo Man Kam Wing Chun). I prefer LMK WC over TWC because of the working knowledge that is tought to the student in this system. Both systems are very good, and both systems are and have been proven on the streets in Vegas.

kungfu cowboy
03-01-2004, 06:18 AM
I hear there is an Elvis impersonator that teaches wing chun and he is real kick acid!:p