PDA

View Full Version : Bob Sapp Highlight flick--proper use of Guard Position

Merryprankster
10-25-2002, 03:10 AM
Guys,

Check out the Bob Sapp highlight flick on Mcdojo.com. Just click on the big picture. Watch Nogueira's use of the guard. He's doing it the way it should be done.

Yes, I know he takes some shots, but there's almost nothing on them because of how Nogueira constantly messes with Sapp's center (although almost nothing from a guy like Sapp probably still packs a wallop.) You're going to get hit in that range and there's nothing you can do about it, really.

What I noticed most was how many of the punches Nogueira slipped. He was constantly slipping shots and looking to hook an arm. F-ing brilliant guard play from a master at MMA guardwork.

One other point. Remember how Seven, Ryu and some other guys here talk about how the speed disparity between a big and small guy is more than made up for by the strength of the big man and his usual ability to absorb more punishment? Take a look at Sapp's attempt to do a leaping guard pass. Almost made it! Admittedly, he's more than a normal physical specimen, and probably has some Vitamin S help, but the analogy can still be drawn between a fighter of 140 and one of 230.

Braden
10-25-2002, 10:31 AM
On The Streets (tm) would Sapp have bothered trying to pass and/or strike from inside the guard, or just relied on a drag and slam as he did earlier, only with the benefit of a curb or similar common fauna?

BTW, are you saying the hypothetical 140 lb fighter would have made the leaping guard pass for being so quick, or are you using the video evidence as an argument that the quickness of the light man is a myth. Sorry... just wasn't sure. :p

Merryprankster
10-25-2002, 10:45 AM
Just pointing out that large size doesn't=slow in all cases--and certainly not to the extent that some would like to think.

fa_jing
10-25-2002, 10:48 AM
Umm - As far as I could see, Nogueira looked pretty helpless. I was praying for the ref to stop the fight. So, who won?

Merryprankster
10-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Noguiera by armbar. Not quite helpless.

Ford Prefect
10-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Noguiera is a madman! He's subbed some really big and strong guys. I do think he'd be DOA at the hospital if he fought Sapp on the street. Imagine being guard slammed on pavement. No thanks.