PDA

View Full Version : Favortism?

Vegita
10-25-2002, 03:35 PM
I have a question about Sifus. What would you do if your sifu played favortism to a single student due to her brown nosing? from little things like spending more time with her during the class time to choosing her to "advance" faster. i.e. giving her a sash even though she's only been there 1/2 as long as some people, and 1/2 as good as well ( know her "level" from chi-sao as well as 2nd opinions from other advanced students) So the question is should something be said? if the Sifu is doing this, doesn't this give an indication he doesn't care even if something is said? What would you do if this was going on in your class?

cobra
10-25-2002, 03:55 PM
You should trust your sifu, since he is the expert, to make those decisions, you may find out later on that he is justified in his actions. Either way, he is the sifu and does not answer to you. The best policy is to worry about your own training. If someone else is being passed on too early it will be to their own detriment. What matters to me is my WT and whether it works or not. After all, all the rankings and sashes in the world will not matter if your "stuff" doesn't work.

Vegita
10-25-2002, 04:10 PM
I agree with you 100%, and that is what several of us has done (we're measuring in years not months), however, it keeps getting worse and the class is not going forward as a result. (read: the class does not advance due to her lack of practice and Sifu not wanting to going over her head)

wtinfo
10-25-2002, 04:15 PM
I think you already know the answer.

If something is holding you back it's time to move on or get around it in another way if that's possible.

Grendel
10-25-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Vegita
I have a question about Sifus. What would you do if your sifu played favortism to a single student due to her brown nosing? from little things like spending more time with her during the class time to choosing her to "advance" faster. i.e. giving her a sash even though she's only been there 1/2 as long as some people, and 1/2 as good as well ( know her "level" from chi-sao as well as 2nd opinions from other advanced students) So the question is should something be said? if the Sifu is doing this, doesn't this give an indication he doesn't care even if something is said? What would you do if this was going on in your class?

That hussy! Stomp your feet and hiss. :D

Mr. Bao
10-25-2002, 06:34 PM
That is why in traditional chinese martial arts there isn't a rank system like in Japanese systems. Yip Man never had a color belt or sash rank system. Rank was built upon family status but that alone does not necessary equal level knowledge or skill.

Therefore, formally wing chun students of Yip Man recognized who was their senior and junior, but skill never was based on rank. But people would assume naturally that seniors have a better understanding of the system. People have misinterpeted what Yip Man said, "the one who attained the skill first is senior," as a loop hole to not respect their seniors. But if you understand it correctly it should mean that seniors don't always have the skill by seniority and that juniors may have better skills than seniors. What Yip Man said above should humble seniors and give hope to juniors. Not give a loop hole for not having mo duk and being disrespectful.

In the end, no one person can truly measure your kung fu or test it like some exam. Can your teacher see your heart and know what you would do outside his/her kwoon?

Bao

anerlich
10-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Whether or not a school has ranks or belts is entirely incidental to the subject at hand. Having or not having ranks says nothing about whether the teacher is good or bad, and has little if any bearing on the situation discussed.

The problem here (assuming the poster has no undisclosed issues of his own) is that the teacher is giving preferential treatment to one student over others, and possibly her sex has something to do with that.

Sounds like you either have to discuss it with your Sifu and act on the result, or cut your losses and go elsewhere, because you are unlikely to prosper in a situation where you are resentful of your Sifu and fellow students, be that resentment justified or not.

Ohhh... is he bonking her or not? :p

EnterTheWhip
10-26-2002, 12:27 PM
He's obviously interested in getting in her pants. Whether you're male or female, you don't want to be learning from such a sifu. So quit.

AztecaPreist
10-26-2002, 12:42 PM
The main thing that I have learned through life is that, you lead your life. You lead your own destiny. The same is tru for Kung Fu life. You can ony do your Kung Fu your Sifu can only do his Kung Fu and so on. What you make of what your Sifu gives you is your own path. If you choose to let jealousy corrupt your path the the only one that it is affecting is you. Favoritism happens in all walks of lifes journey. It is but an opsticle for us to get by. So I say choose the most efficient path.
Marty R.

EnterTheWhip
10-26-2002, 01:26 PM
The issue is not favoritism.

cobra
10-26-2002, 06:04 PM
If you don't feel like you are progressing, then I would seriously think about going elsewhere. At this point is where you should confront your sifu in private about this issue and give him the courtesy of being able to explain his actions and possibly change something before you leave. This conversation may be all you need to make up your mind for sure. Just make sure that it is motivated by lack of progress rather than jelousy. You may also want to think on this for a while, I know in the past I have thought the same thing was going on and things that I know now that I didn't know then changed my whole perspective on the issue. Good luck in making the right decision. Of course, depending on your location you may not have many choices.

Broolyssj5
10-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Hey Vegita,
I hear you on your point and some of the other guys made good points as well...and now (of course) it's time to add my 2 cents if I may.
I don't think it's right that your sifu is acting the way he is because even if the student is brown nosing or has a nice rack the sifu should be wise enough to understand that it's not right.
Now I understand the argument will be worry about yourself but when a student is really into WC/VT and eat, sleeps and craps it 24-7-365 he or she isn't looking for a prize but to have a student who isn't up to par but getting all the praise of being the next Bruce Lee well then it stings like a slap in the face no matter how old, expirenced or wise you are, it still stings!

Vegita
10-28-2002, 10:23 AM
Everyone has good points here, I'm still not quite made up in my mind as to what to do, how about all the Sifus on this forum? what do the Sifus think about favoring one student over another just because they- pretend to listen more/go above and beyond i.e. giving gifts/laugh harder at jokes/etc... Are you (sifus) even aware when someone is doing this? after all we are only human, and who doesn't like to be put on a pedestal?

fa_jing
10-28-2002, 10:45 AM
IMNSHO, if you have the money private or semi-private classes are generally better than group classes. In group classes you are almost always going to have these kinds of issues. If you have the money for private lessons and some training partners on the side, that's what I recommend.