10-25-2002, 07:31 PM
Hi,

just thought this was interesting:

http://www.hoplology.com/articles_detail.asp?id=2

Regards,
Esteban

taijiquan_student
10-27-2002, 12:41 PM
It's interesting that this thread hasn't gotten any replies.

Great article. It deals with what I'm learning is one of, if not the most important part of taiji--mind-intent. In the beginning I learned all the basic form and structure stuff (which I'm still working on), but then my teacher started talking more and more about the mind, and about putting real intent into the movements. When intent comes into play, everything is really different that before, and much more powerful. This is something I'm currently trying to improve upon in my own practice.
Your mind-intent is present in everything about you--your taiji, the way you carry yourself, your attitude, etc. I really liked the article, partly because it talked about something my teacher recently mentioned: that martial arts are not for violence but for encouraging peace in society, and that wude (martial virtue) will take your practice to another level. Just so I don't get flamed, yes, taiji is a martial art created for fighting. What I mean is these arts are not for promoting violence in society.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Esteban
10-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Hi taijiquan_student,

well, I posted it, so I owe you a reply. My own, strictly personal view is that "why" one fights is more important than "who" or "how." I think "why" one fights is the difference between fighting and sport. Hey, I know what you mean. Taijiquan is definitely a "martial art." Now, that doesn't mean it was ever a battlefield art. Most cma, even those used by bannermen, bodyguards, and other professionals, weren't done by the Chinese legions. Anyway, I agree with what you say about "intent." i think the reason that "martial arts" --the way we talk about it-- can and should remain "friendly" is because there is no "real" bad intent. That's just my opinion, though. I also feel that it would be greater to say that one's family is safer because of one's martial arts or that one's neighborhood is safer or that someone has used his or her martial art for the benefit of someone --other than himself or family- than it is to conquer a hundred "enemies." As I said, it's just my opinion.
Respects,
Esteban

HuangKaiVun
10-27-2002, 09:16 PM
Comportment only goes so far.

Criminals, more than ever, are figuring out that a mean walk doesn't necessarily pack a mean punch.

This is why the ability to FIGHT is even more important than the ability to STRUT.

taijiquan_student
10-27-2002, 09:28 PM
That's true, but it's a well-known fact that you are more likely to be mugged or attacked if you walk down the street with your head down, shoulders slumped, etc. than if you seem aware of your surroundings and have a good posture (being a huge muscular guy helps too, but most internal martial artists don't have this). This of course doesn't mean you'll never be attacked or you don't need to know how to take care of yourself.

Esteban--This is kind of a nerdy, academic technicality, but: Taiji was a battlefield art (or at least the weapons part of it). Yang Lu Chan was the military trainer for the Bordered Yellow Banner in the Qing army. During this time the city was besieged several times. He probably would have taught them saber/broadsword skills since soldiers didn't carry jian (straight-swords) and empty-hand would make no sense.

Esteban
10-27-2002, 10:38 PM
Hi,

I guess you're right, comportment will get you only so far. It's a little like self control, ymmv. Maybe, "how you handle yourself" might make more sense. Fwiw, I grew up, live, and work in the South Bronx. Which, I'll tell you is nothing like Mogadishu or Kigali. Shucks, it ain't even as bad as Nassau after dark. But, in any case, I thought the idea behind "comportment" in the article was that one shouldn't make oneself a target. Comportment, self control, or "how you handle yourself" won't ever make you weaker or less capable. Oh well, I guess I just got the wrong idea from the article.

Taijiquan_student, it may be true that YLC trained soldiers, even elite ones. He was notably a spearman, and if you would consider that this meant he trained the troops in tcc spear, ok. I don't know. I was referring specifically to empty hand combat. If he taught them saber, I'd say that the battlefield techniques weren't anything like what we call taichi now. And, I'm not sure that YLC would have known a taiji jian. RAF posted some stuff recently on jian history. Anyway,

Respects,
Esteban