PDA

View Full Version : Southern Mantis Books and posters

FIRE HAWK
10-26-2002, 12:28 PM
Does anybody knowhere i can get Southern Mantis books and posters ?

TaoBoy
10-27-2002, 03:59 PM
I never seen any SPM books. And I'm not happy about it. If you find any, I'd like to know about them.

Cheers,
Adam

Ao Qin
10-27-2002, 05:48 PM
Hi Firehawk,

If you are ever in the area, you should visit Master Gin Foon Mark in Minneapolis (probably better call ahead, get an invite). He is a gifted painter, and sells beautiful artwork (Kung fu and otherwise) - he has a stock of some pretty amazing paintings - in which the Mantis is subtly interwoven into the calligraphy and artwork.

I had the good fortune to visit his kwoon last December, and he was kind enough to give me a Dragon painting for my Sifu, and an awesome Tiger painting for myself (I call it the "Spirit of Gow Bo Toy")...

BearBear
10-31-2002, 12:38 AM
Paul Whitrod made many videos .. some he no longer sells or those editions... he has around 16 current videos (last time i knew) ranging from nei gong to toughening .. jongs... weapons etc.. of Chow Gar style Nan Tong Long. he also had some indepth books planned.

Henry poo yee has a book on jook lum style .. i never seen it but

and there are a few book and vcd in chinese around

Malcom sue had a number of vidoes in the 80's (Chow Gar style) but i doubt they are commerical available any more. he now teahces his own ging mo kune (chow gar based) system..

not 100% sure but i think a dit au style nan tonglong had a book/video out also .. a kwoon in england .. maybe was hk...

let me know what u find also

thanks

BearBear

Dercetuas
11-02-2002, 10:48 AM
"not 100% sure but i think a dit au style nan tonglong had a book/video out also .. a kwoon in england .. maybe was hk..."

Dit Ngau Hakka Tong Long (Iron Ox Praying Mantis)

Book, No Video, classes in England....

HuangKaiVun
11-03-2002, 10:07 AM
I spoke to Gin Foon Mark a few years ago about this.

He didn't really tell me about what was in his books and videos, but he seemed to feel good about what he had put there.

I will probably pick them all up eventually. I wholeheartedly second Ao Qin's recommendation of Master Mark.

By the way, Master Mark is a really nice and genuine master. He is extremely approachable, which is usually the case for men of his reknowned ability.

He's the guy I'D go to for this type of stuff.

David
11-05-2002, 01:06 PM
I have a number of mantis designs that I intend to make into t-shirts but don't hold your breath; I've already been sitting on them for 6 months without any action.

kshatriya
11-07-2002, 10:07 AM
There is an iron ox southern praying mantis book on offer, well 2 in fact if i am correct.

Unfortunately the iron ox uk web site of Eduardo Barrios-Muras at
www.ironoxprayingmantis.co.uk doesnt work. I did a search on amazon.co.uk and :
Iron-ox Praying Mantis Boxing
Eduardo Barrios-Muras
The author, Eduardo Barrios-Muras (Edward@ironoxprayingmantis.co.uk) , 26 September, 2000
An essence of Iron-Ox Praying Mantis Kung Fu basics.

So if you wish you can email him and purchase both his books. Sifu Paul whitrod's book is meant to be at the publishers and we hear great things about the book, either way it will be a fantastic and valuable source of information when it is released.

Good luck with training!