PDA

View Full Version : How much time per week is needed?

Akuma
10-26-2002, 07:36 PM
I'm just wondering how many hours per week do you think is needed if one wants to learn a martial art and become good at it?

At the moment I'm coming in twice per week. The amount of time spent is just 3.5 hours. I don't think it's enough and I want to come in one more time. If I do that it'll be 5.5 hours per week instead...but is that enough?

How much time do you all spend training your martial art per week?

btw- I'm trying to learn Wing Chun

edit: and when I say good, I mean, becoming good enough to defend oneself.

Jzf_K
10-26-2002, 07:53 PM
Depends on who your fighting:) I spend about 2.5 hrs 4 times a wk, or around 10 hrs a wk, about half of that fighting.

Edit: The fighting part, combined with fundamentals is what'l help you defend yourself. (that and pepper spray)

Budokan
10-26-2002, 07:53 PM
3 to 4 contact hours a week with your instructor isn't bad. But it's going to be the solo training time you put in that'll make you a better martial artist. Keep training and don't give up. The improvement will come as a result of that.

Akuma
10-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Budokan
3 to 4 contact hours a week with your instructor isn't bad. But it's going to be the solo training time you put in that'll make you a better martial artist. Keep training and don't give up. The improvement will come as a result of that.

so you mean solo training as in the training I do at home by myself?

cha kuen
10-26-2002, 08:17 PM
Akuma,

3 times a week is good to start. Sonner or later you will start to fall in love with kung fu and it will bug you if you don't practice everyday!

Work your horse till it burns. Also your posture and alignment is very very important in order to be connected and eventually get power from the ground to use your "GING" or "FAJING"

SevenStar
10-26-2002, 11:18 PM
How much you do will vary from person to person due to their schedules and determination. I put in about 15 hrs a week. How much it takes to make you good will also vary from person to person as different people learn at different rates. You've got a good start so far, keep it up!

Neurotic
10-26-2002, 11:58 PM
and when I say good, I mean, becoming good enough to defend oneself.

This is the hard part, because good enough to defend yourself against what exactly?

So many differing opponents, differing situations.

I train every day, but then again, maybe not as long as I could (should) every day.

Its all very subjective.

Just make sure that when you do train, it is quality, over quantity.

Neurotic

Akuma
10-27-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Neurotic

This is the hard part, because good enough to defend yourself against what exactly?
Neurotic

In typical situations that people encounter. Or, most common situations where self defense is necessary.

I'm not talking about fighting 10 people at the same time because I don't think that's very possible for most people but I'd like to be in a situation where I could maybe take one or two ppl down and manage to run away..I don't know..It's hard for me to quantify/qualify :(

I have no desire to become Batman, but I'd like to be able to hold my own, lol..., if what I said even makes sense.

Akuma
10-27-2002, 01:55 AM
Also I'd like to thank those that have replied to the thread, I've found the responses most informative and encouraging, cheers :)

Neurotic
10-27-2002, 04:10 AM
I think when it boils down to it - there is never an 'enough'.

Kung Fu is all about bettering oneself... whether physically, or mentally.

Can you ever reach your ultimate pinacle?

All you can really do is try your best.

There no hard and fast rules in this, it is all exceptionally grey.

There are no neccessary right or wrongs, no nevers, no always and certainly no enoughs.

We have a running joke on another forum I use that 'never' actually translates as 'almost always do not, but sometimes you can'.

So when do you stop?

When you decide to. - Thats your call. Noone else can really decide it for you.

Obviously, not the answer you wanted.

Neurotic

Former castleva
10-27-2002, 04:11 AM
IŽd say try to keep up with training in a way that is most comfortable for you,of course not training because youŽd be just slightly feeling not like it does not always count.
Regular,decent training for a decent amount of time I think is better than training like a top athlete and running out of gas in a small amount of time and quitting.

Daredevil
10-27-2002, 06:36 AM
There's a few things to consider. One of the first is deciding on what level you want to train at. I'd assume most aim for mastery, however.

3 times a week won't cut it. You'll have to train everyday and the training you do on your own, away from your master, is key. That's where you really refine your basics and lay the foundation.

However, equally important (at least in the beginning) is not stressing it too much and doing it in accordance to how much you love it. The more you train the more you will train, if this stuff is what you really enjoy. So, if you don't manage to train everyday from the beginning, don't worry. You'll probably get there.

BUT it's important not get too lazy either, of course. You have to push yourself and constantly move in a better direction. More and more everyday.

Personally, I train from 1-3 hours every day and see my master on three days for 6,5 hours a week. Occasionally, depending on how I manage my saturdays, it's 4 times for 9.5 half hours a week.

Souljah
10-27-2002, 11:43 AM
Im in aagrrement with alot of the points.

I dont think that it is vital that you have to train EVERY SINGLE DAY but the amount of time you put in at present is not going to help you improve as much as you would like.

I practice everyother day in the park (forms, stances, footwork, staff-work and any moves I feel weak on) and workout on the days I dont train MA.

I find that training about 1-2 hours on those days (outside my club) is helping alot. Im not tiring myself out but yet not being lazy, trying to keep a balance of training.

I think if it adds up to about 10 hrs all told a week spent on MA which I find enough to keep my progress on track

chen zhen
10-27-2002, 11:58 AM
my club only has training lessons 2 times a week, 1 hour per time!!
I'm seriously considering changing kwoon...

Braden
10-27-2002, 12:17 PM
Train on your own for the solo stuff, and with a partner for the partner stuff. Contact hours is primarily for correction and learning, not training. Two hours a week for correction is fine if you're training for hours every day, surely.

Akuma
10-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Thanx again for the feed back folks. This is very good stuff :)

Budokan
10-27-2002, 01:30 PM
Yes, solo training is the training/workout you do on your own.

Shisio
10-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Personally I try to do 3 things, which I first started to apply to school when I was a kid, and now to MA.
1. Go to class
2. Do your homework
3. Have fun

Until I made a point of applying this ever so simple formula to my MA, I didn't experience very much growth.

*note- "do your homework"- i.e. train what you learn on your own time, no just at school*

TaoBoy
10-27-2002, 03:43 PM
Well written Shisio!

I say you should train as often as you can...and when you can't train you should be thinking about it...and when you find time you should be training solo...and if you can find a training partner, use them...and if you can cross-train, do it.

So much to do, so little time. :)

Martial Joe
10-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Atleast 2 hours a day.

joedoe
10-27-2002, 04:33 PM
The time you put in training at home is just as important as time spent with your sifu. The time you spend on your own is when you get to think about your art and make your own discoveries, and these are the most important things in your MA progression.

LEGEND
10-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Wing Chun??? Well if u want a crash course to defend yourself in the streets...
1.) Learn to use the BIL SAO=counter block to the typical HAYMAKER punch thrown by THUGs.
2.) Learn to chain punch=correct extension and power.
3.) Learn FORWARD FOOTWORK=they key of wing chun is to be fast as shiet! You need to make your opponent BACKPEDAL! If he stands his ground u're going to be in a BRAWL and unless u have descent trapping...u're screwed cause a brawl will end being a slug match and/or wrestling match.
4.) SWEEP!=wing chun takedowns are quick sweeps...not throws or wrestling type of takedowns( although i think these are more effective ).

So once again u're fight plan should be 1.) offense=u start the fight! 2.) chain punch while moving forward! 3.) Sweep your opponent when he's backpedaling or/and when u're close enuf! 4.) Finish him further with more punches and kicks if he's on the ground while u're standing.

On a defense level...he may throw the infamous haymaker...work on dat bil sao and proceed to step 1.) thru 4.)!!!

Akuma
10-28-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by LEGEND
Wing Chun??? Well if u want a crash course to defend yourself in the streets...
1.) Learn to use the BIL SAO=counter block to the typical HAYMAKER punch thrown by THUGs.
2.) Learn to chain punch=correct extension and power.
3.) Learn FORWARD FOOTWORK=they key of wing chun is to be fast as shiet! You need to make your opponent BACKPEDAL! If he stands his ground u're going to be in a BRAWL and unless u have descent trapping...u're screwed cause a brawl will end being a slug match and/or wrestling match.
4.) SWEEP!=wing chun takedowns are quick sweeps...not throws or wrestling type of takedowns( although i think these are more effective ).

So once again u're fight plan should be 1.) offense=u start the fight! 2.) chain punch while moving forward! 3.) Sweep your opponent when he's backpedaling or/and when u're close enuf! 4.) Finish him further with more punches and kicks if he's on the ground while u're standing.

On a defense level...he may throw the infamous haymaker...work on dat bil sao and proceed to step 1.) thru 4.)!!!

Cool man I'll try and practice all those things. Funny you should mention BIL SAO because that's what I've been concentrating my time on at home just recently. When I was last at the school they told me that my bilsao was too low and it needed to be higher, otherwise their 'round' punch could still get through...

But it's going good though :)

Akuma
10-28-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by joedoe
The time you put in training at home is just as important as time spent with your sifu. The time you spend on your own is when you get to think about your art and make your own discoveries, and these are the most important things in your MA progression.

Yeah I'm begining to think that you're right and it's something others have said also :)

I actually just assumed for some odd reason that people only trained at the kwoon/school and not at home.

Thing is, I don't want to burn myself out going to training everyday. I think I'd rather go just 2 or 3 times per week and then spend a few more hours at home doing it.

If I can get to the next level, I can spar..heheeh I can't wait.

Akuma
10-28-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Shisio
Personally I try to do 3 things, which I first started to apply to school when I was a kid, and now to MA.
1. Go to class
2. Do your homework
3. Have fun

Until I made a point of applying this ever so simple formula to my MA, I didn't experience very much growth.

*note- "do your homework"- i.e. train what you learn on your own time, no just at school*

That's some really good advice. I never thought about it that way but it sure does make sense to me :)

Cheers

Akuma
10-28-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
Well written Shisio!

I say you should train as often as you can...and when you can't train you should be thinking about it...and when you find time you should be training solo...and if you can find a training partner, use them...and if you can cross-train, do it.

So much to do, so little time. :)

Yeah you're right there is so many things to do and not enough time. I think I'm just trying to find a balance at the moment. Like, I don't really want or need to become hardcore Batman but the thing is, I like training because it's fun. I just can't put my finger on it. I mean yeah I'm doing it for self defence but at the same time it feels like I'm doing it more for fun.

The pad work is pretty good but I think I'll enjoy myself much when I start sparring :)

Odie-wan
10-28-2002, 09:24 AM
Akuma,
One way to keep the rust off and take a mental break is to find someplace to work a few forms during your lunch break at work. I'm lucky enough to have an office so I just close the door. I don't get a real "workout" but it keeps the movements and mental responses ingrained. Plus it's a good mental escape from work to keep my fresh.

Sean

jungle-mania
10-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Believe it or not, I think training is every moment of the day. Training goes beyond just hitting the bags or doing your forms or practising your self-defense move. You need to focus why you are doing it, when you can do it and what are the conditions you can apply your martial arts. Walking o the street and observing the way people walk, talk and gesture to one another trains you to be alert of people's behaviour and weaknesses. You must try to comprehend what are the factors to take in to account when you imagine someone on the street attacks you, so that you mentally build the scenario into your head. The hours you can train everyday depends on your work life, social life and family life. Your responsibilities in lfe can affect your training, hence you must learn to work around it. Like what bruce lee said, be adaptive or better still what Darwin said, adapt or die. It is mentally draining and can **** you off every once in a while if you follow what I say, but then isn't slef-discipline a major of martial art?