PDA

View Full Version : Sanshou vs the world

jungle-mania
10-27-2002, 07:41 AM
Do you think sanshou is a good way to represent kung fu against other ring sports?

Liokault
10-27-2002, 10:33 AM
Yes.

taijiquan_student
10-27-2002, 10:36 AM
No.

Martial Joe
10-27-2002, 11:52 AM
I say a wing chun guy goes in and tears **** up.

Xebsball
10-27-2002, 12:34 PM
In a short asnwer,

No.

fa_jing
10-27-2002, 02:03 PM
Maybe.

dre
10-27-2002, 02:27 PM
No.

nospam
10-27-2002, 02:33 PM
Nope. Gung Fu taint no sport, sport.

nospam.
:cool:

SevenStar
10-27-2002, 02:37 PM
True, but that doesn't mean that a kung fu student can't fight in sport format.

Leonidas
10-27-2002, 02:40 PM
In most cases San shou is just Taekwondo/Muay Thai kicks with punches from boxing and shuai chiao throws allowed so it's doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with kung fu except for the throws(which may even be judo) but could just mean set of rules.

You'll sometimes hear someone say San shou rules or Muay Thai rules or NHB rules.

Leonidas
10-27-2002, 02:42 PM
Oh yea.

No

SevenStar
10-27-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Leonidas
In most cases San shou is just Taekwondo/Muay Thai kicks with punches from boxing and shuai chiao throws allowed so it's doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with kung fu except for the throws(which may even be judo) but could just mean set of rules.

You'll sometimes hear someone say San shou rules or Muay Thai rules or NHB rules.

That's gonna vary from school to school. some coaches use cma techniques only. lkfmdc does this.

White Minority
10-27-2002, 08:20 PM
Many styles draw from other styles. Sambo borrows some throws from judo. But if you go to a sambo place you will find it's very different from judo and wrestling even though it has a lot of the same techniques.

BJJ comes directly from judo. But it is different.

Now. About san shou. It may have techs from other styles but it is not the same style. Otherwise BJJ would be judo, and sambo would be judo, and everything in the world would be judo and we would all be walking around wearing judo gi's.

Brad
10-27-2002, 08:38 PM
I don't know. San Shou is a good art to study. If people trained in San Shou do well consistently in competition then it shows that San Shou is good. It doesn't mean a Wing Chun guy or a Shaolin Changquan guy could do well. I'm not saying those are bad style, they're just the first names that poped into my head :D

A lot of people say San Shou isn't Chinese because they see techniques from others styles in the fights. Well, that's because many San Shou competitors are from non Chinese styles. Like Cung Le. He learned lots of Tae Kwon Do and was a college wrestling champ. San Shou competion is open to all different styles.

Nope. Gung Fu taint no sport, sport.
What about Shui Jiao(sp?)? Why isn't "Gung Fu" a sport? I agree it's more than just sport, but that doesn't mean there aren't sportive aspects to gungfu. Competition has been a part of CMA for a very very long time.

Brad
10-27-2002, 08:44 PM
A good quote someone posted on Raffi's message board:

"It's not the critic who counts.....but the man in the arena.."
Theodore Roosevelt

Merryprankster
10-28-2002, 02:56 AM
Ah, I can see this changing into San Shou: Style or format, before my very eyes!!! :D

jon
10-28-2002, 03:08 AM
"Ah, I can see this changing into San Shou: Style or format, before my very eyes!!!"

* Can i throw first stone? Please!!

Its a format...

Its a format that was first thought up, tried then tested and has its largest practioner base - In China.

There is nothing to stop you using basicaly anything you want in San Shau. As long as it fits within the rules;)
There is no penalty for gaurding like a boxer, or kicking like a Thai Boxer.
If a rule says " an undefended kick to the body or head will score 2 points " its hardly going to say as a clause "unless its a TKD kick".
Obviously as such San Shao is not representive of kung fu in any other way than its simply a chinese thought up concept.
Its just representive of its self.

This is like saying all kung fu *is*...
Its simply not possible, its just chinese martial arts.
San Shau is simply a sporting format.

MightyB
10-28-2002, 06:39 AM
You guys are such 'tards.

Try it you bunch-o-pus$ies.

To answer the original question-- YES.

FYO- I just friggin deleted my emails on it, but, check out the Liu Institute. The Art of War and K Super challenges are going on right now. Get your tickets or compete. Fight the world.

Did I mention it's an international event much like the original poster is asking about?

**** bunch-o-pus$ies answering like they've even fought in one...:p

Suntzu
10-28-2002, 06:56 AM
YES…… and yes I have fought in the K's…

bunch-o-pus$ies :D :D :D :rolleyes:

MightyB
10-28-2002, 06:58 AM
Dam n Straight Suntzu,

Dam n Straight:D

jungle-mania
10-28-2002, 07:07 AM
Since I was the one who pose the thread, I am the one with the dilemma. I had studied Hung Gar for about 4 years, before deciding to switch to another school which taught luo han quan and bai mei. The latter school ahd strong emphasis on sanshou and there was no fixed format in the way we learn to spar. That is where my dilemma comes in. The way sanshou are oriented, it is very hard not to take a kickboxing stance with a grappling mindset. However, I have to say that the sweeps we learn in our forms and the jammming techniques (like obilque kick to the shin) which is so pronounced in southern styles have help alot, but are no substitute for having wrestling and kickboxing skills.

Visit this site, http://members.tripod.com/~crane69/index6q.htm. i think it give some idea on how I am feel about mixing traditional and modern styles.

Anyway, anyone here from Singapore.

Suntzu
10-28-2002, 07:27 AM
the link didn’t work for me… but I did get a lovely lil ad for Toni Braxton… and that I thank u for…

for the life of me I'll never understand 'traditional' people getting all upest over what 'stance' they have to assume… I just don’t see what the big deal is there… if u want to protect the center line ala WC or so whatever, do it… or don’t… its not gonna stop the world from rotating... if circle walking works for u do that... as long as u can attack and defend successfully... go for it... if whatever fighting style u choose to adopt doesn't work figure out why and change it... you are not bound by some universal law that says u have to do X or Y and u cant do A or B... b'cuz when the beat down is coming it doesn't care who Sifu is and whats his lineage... take what u can use and work on that... and definitely spar against boxers... stp thinking about san shou in its parts and think about your self as a whole fighter... u dont have to be a boxer, a muy Thai fight and the GOOD GRAPPLER... u have to be u...

I think that lil pep talk was more for my benefit than anyone elses… but thanks for reading…

Braden
10-28-2002, 07:31 AM
Someone's gotta do a psych study on sanshou discussions. It's absolutely fascinating.

Q: Is sanshou a good way to represent chinese martial arts?

A: BJJ isn't the same as judo.

A: You guys are all pussies.

A: Traditional guys are silly for their fighting stances.

:confused:

Suntzu
10-28-2002, 07:35 AM
for the record it's not pus$ies... its 'bunch-o-pus$ies'... just so we are clear on that...:D

ShaolinTiger00
10-28-2002, 11:07 AM
Only in the CMA would the best test of basic skill, speed and heart be condemned.

btw: MP , - I may see you at Lloyd's on Wed. I'm going with Mauro to the vale tudo class. (If I can get a ride)

Merryprankster
10-28-2002, 11:21 AM
Rotten timing you tool! :D I just gave up boxing and the Vale Tudo classes to focus on gi work so I can win the Pan-Am's this year!

Tell Mauro to bring you Saturday.

******!