PDA

View Full Version : Legend of the Red Dragon

Jabb
10-27-2002, 11:57 AM
Any comments? I personally hated it, if you haven't seen it already, don't bother. Theres these parts where you see this "I can fly" -type of unrealistic kung fu and the plot sucks.

Don't flame me if you like the movie, I just personally like realistic fighting where I can see different styles and techniques in action.

Lisa
10-27-2002, 08:36 PM
I liked it. In kung fu movies, I can look past bad plots. It doesn't bother me if it isn't realistic either. That sort of thing certainly isn't for everyone, though.

Lisa

Silumkid
10-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Although I am sure I have seen this movie because I have seen pretty much everything that has Jet in it or has anything to do with him, I don't know which one this is because I always ignore cheap, Americanized, *******ized, re-edited "for the good of the Western audience", cash-in-on-Jet's-name pieces of crap.

I'm sure you would have enjoyed an import version much better.

Leto
10-29-2002, 08:40 AM
Legend of Red Dragon is supposed to be 'New Legend of Shaolin'. I haven't seen it in it's new incarnation, but I like the original, with subtitles. Mirimax has managed to ruin "Tai Chi Master" (aka twin warriors) for me, though, and that is one of my all time favorites. I'm sure the dubbing on 'red dragon' is just as bad.

Jabb, I guess you haven't watched many hong kong action movies, especially not those by Tsui Hark, or many with Jet Li. 'Wuxia', flying people, are a big part of Chinese fantasy tales, legendary martial artists and sorcerers who have developed 'super' powers. Hung Hei Kwun, (Jet Li's character in Legend of red Dragon), is a folk hero, legend, one of the escapees from the burning of shaolin. Of course he's got super powers, he learned at shaolin! And he was the 'founder' of Hung Gar kung fu. Fong Sai Yuk is another such legendary hero. Jet Li has made two movies where he portrays Fong Sai Yuk. And Wong Fei Hung, of course...has had literally hundreds of movies made about his legendary (mostly fictional) exploits. Jet Li has done him, too, in five movies at least. Those movies aren't so much about displaying various fighing styles, but about the grandiose story telling and dramatic action which accompanies these legendary figures.

I like realistic fighting movies, too, where you see different (real) styles pitted against one another, no wires, etc. I like them more than I like wuxia, really. Watching wuxia you just have to go into it with a different frame of mind, it isn't in the same category as movies like 'Fist of Legend' (which still did use wires in a couple places), the old Jackie Chan movies, and some of the Shaw Brothers stuff (like Shaolin Challenges Ninja, the ultimate style vs. style movie).
Two movies that are amongst my favorites for showing 'real' styles, and great 'realistic' fighting are "Prodigal Son", starring Yuen Biao, directed by Sammo Hung, and "Magnificent Butcher", starring Sammo Hung and directed by Yuen Wo Ping. "Prodigal Son" showcases Wing Chun (though maybe not quite the way it 'really' looks), and "Magnificent Butcher" shows Hung Gar (Sammo Hung portrays Butcher Wing, one of Wong Fei Hung's students)

Jabb
11-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Your right, maybe it's because I expected to see real fighting, not flying kung fu. Like; I liked Crouching tiger, Hidden Dragon because I knew what to anticipate, extrapowerskillflying-kung fu, and it was fun and entertaining.

Sho
11-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Yea! Red Bean's mother was so darn funny! :D

It wasn't a bad movie imho, but it lacked something. Maybe you should watch Jet Li's Shaolin Temple movies, Jabb. They're at least my favourite.