PDA

View Full Version : how much is needed?

TjD
10-27-2002, 01:46 PM
with all this going on about who knows what form and bla bla bla

how much do you really need to become a great wing chun player?

personally, i think you only need a few things:
1. a wooden dummy
2. many people to chi sau/chi gerk/spar with
3. siu lim tau and chum kiu

with siu lim tau to remind you to relax, and the wooden dummy to reinforce your structure, and chum kiu to teach you how to move, there is all you need to become great in wing chun. the many people to chi sau, etc. with gives you the testbed to perfect your siu lim tau, wooden dummy and chum kiu; which in turn improve your chi sau. an upward spiral of sorts.

who learned what pole form, what knife form, etc doesnt mean a **** thing, its who practiced the hardest (i know that practice thing is a reoccuring theme)

Martial Joe
10-27-2002, 03:49 PM
I think SLT CK and Chi Sau.

Mr. Bao
10-27-2002, 06:42 PM
"A great wing chun player" needs to know how to approach wing chun kung fu concepts and know how to apply it effectively and realistically.

I hate using Bruce Lee as an example, but he didn't complete the wing chun method, but he worked what he understood and became a good martial artist and not necessarily a great wing chun player".

I think in order to became a great wing chun player it is best if he or she knew all the forms and can create effective techniques from his/her forms. To know some of the forms isn't enough to call yourself a great wing chun player. The forms are like letters in the alphabets, if you only some of letters you aren't going to create a novel like "Catcher in the Rye". But rappers and some pop musical artists are adepted in using 2 vowels and two/ four letters words in a creative way tho.

It depends what you mean a great wing chun player. I would assume a great wing chun player would know wing chun completely. I may be mistake you knows for sure?

Bao

"To create is to touch the head of god. To actually live out your dream is heaven on earth"

wingchunalex
10-27-2002, 09:07 PM
I agree, i would throw in a few other drills other than chi sau, but only like 2 or 3.

Jeff Preston
10-28-2002, 11:17 PM
What would you put in to replace chi sau Alex? Who do you agree with? Do you not think there is a place for bil gee in your Wing Chun. Jeff

canglong
10-29-2002, 12:48 AM
4. A competent sifu

Ish
10-29-2002, 05:13 AM
i think your trying to simplify it too much, mabe all you need is the first 2 forms the dummy and chi sau but if thats all you start with your going to find it a lot harder to learn. there are loads of things that you do before chi sau that helps you.

i also think that the third form is very important.