PDA

View Full Version : Second Hand Smoke

logic
10-27-2002, 09:02 PM
Disrespectfull is the word that comes to mind.
But I must look at the situation in a neutral point of view.
without taking sides
Me dictating how people should live by NOT smoking and thrusting my point of view down there throughts would not be fare.

So lets look at it in a ray of reality

honest

smoking causes cancer
smoking causes shortness of breath

simply put, putting smoke in your lungs other than air is not scripted in our D.N.A.

Neutral

(Devils Advocate)
People have a right to choose (to smoke)
none smokers shouldn't have to deal with second hand smoke.
it is true that there are smoking sections in public sanctions.
Respecting the rights of the smokers is reflected on how we want our rights to be respected!

Clarity

Bottom line---Does smoke harm cellular growth---yes it does!

Bottom line---Does anyone deserve 28 Billion dollars for a smoking lawsuit?
My intelligents has just been insulted by the ruling of the California court. 28 billion to one person, there is no clarity in this decission.

For the record
I do HATE smoke!!!!

joedoe
10-27-2002, 09:03 PM
As an asthmatic, I agree. Smoke is bad mkay?

TaoBoy
10-27-2002, 09:05 PM
Inconsiderate smokers are really starting to p!ss me off!

prana
10-27-2002, 09:08 PM
that was a bizarre law suit !

But incidentally, I heard a true story about a "cure" for Asthma, though I would not dare to prescribe to anyone. Apparently it was well practised till about 30 years ago, and surely still practised in certain parts of China.

A man once picked up a very young mice and swallowed it whole. There ya go, bon apetit.

Smokers ! :mad: hehehe

Budokan
10-28-2002, 12:48 AM
If cigarette smoke smelled nice (like fresh roses after an afternoon shower, or a freshly powdered baby's bottom, or newly mowed hay) then there'd be less complaints about this, I bet. But it stinks. Really, really stinks. And there's the rub.

I smoke an occasional cigar after dinner, maybe once or twice a month. But I'm not boorish enough to do it in someone else's face. That's just rude.

dezhen2001
10-28-2002, 05:32 AM
what bothers me more is that ppl just smoke and blow it out all over the place, right in your faces when ur walking past or whatever... it really makes u cough and choke.

clubs and bars are the worst... at least in SF they have a no smoking policy which sounds good - it would be impossible here in the UK. Once you get inside theres just a cloud of smoke and u cant see clearly - it can hurt ur eyes and stuff. even incense or whatever is not as THICK in the air as smoke is imo

also the health effects it can have arereal bad, especially if u have asthma or whatever...

prana: that cure sounds like it could work! :eek: lol

dawood

buksing_king
10-28-2002, 06:31 AM
who are you argueing against ?

In my opinion all the smokers arn't listening or caring

BTW I'm not a smoker i am just wondering why you people are having a full on arguement with no-one:eek::confused:

Budokan
10-28-2002, 09:05 AM
You finally understand the foundation of the problem, Einstein. The smokers DON'T CARE. They see other people gripe and moan about their filthy habit, flip 'em the nicotine-stained bird, and go on with destroying their lungs and the healthy lungs around them.

You're right. They don't care. But then neither does any other drug user with a monkey on his back. He wants his fix. Period.

guohuen
10-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Besides second hand smoke, my pet peeve is people that throw cigarette butts on the ground.

Cipher
10-28-2002, 10:58 AM
What I hate too is when you are in a public building that is smoke free and some lights one up.

Not all smokers are like this though but there are plenty of them that are.

dezhen2001
10-28-2002, 12:11 PM
thats what i dislike as well, even some people on buses (coaches), trains etc. you can easily smell it even though they are trying to be 'sneeky'... :D

dawood

Hai_To
10-28-2002, 12:39 PM
The thing is, you cannot legislate smoking out of existence.

I don't mind people smoking. However, I don't like them doing it near me. Personally, I find smoking to be repulsive. It is a very unwholesome habit. Nevertheless, people are going to continue doing it.

To a society that prizes freedom of choice on a wide variety of issues, prohibiting smoking is an anathema. If a person wants to commit slow suicide, that is their choice, not ours. Also, I find these lawsuits to be, quite frankly, ridiculous. There have been warning labels on cigarette packs for decades. A person cannot say they didn't know the inherent risks of smoking or that the tobacco industry is at fault.

Though, to an extent, the tobacco industry is at fault. They manufacture a very unhealthy product that people want. However, the onus is on the smoker to face the fact they are responsible for their illness, not anyone else. Perhaps when people are willing to take on that responsibility, we can come to some sort of common sense resolution.

joedoe
10-28-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by buksing_king
who are you argueing against ?

In my opinion all the smokers arn't listening or caring

BTW I'm not a smoker i am just wondering why you people are having a full on arguement with no-one:eek::confused:

It's a forum - a place to air your opinions on the topics at hand.

KC Elbows
10-28-2002, 03:31 PM
Somewhere, there's an old kung fu master who stinks to death of tobacco who's lighting up in between forms.

There. Now we're on topic.

Aramus
10-28-2002, 03:47 PM
When smoke 'en with a woman...ugh.

Yep, smoking, I don't like it. If people smoke, fine, just not near me. I have many a relatives that smoke (some with heart conditions), but they are respectful in that they smoke outside if at my house and the butts always make it to an ashtray...I hate it when a smoker throws a butt on the ground...very disrespectful. But I would fight (legally) for someones right to smoke (just not near me).

Bjj should choke cigarettes out (on topic). Kung Fu should split the cigarette in two with a sword, etc. etc.

joedoe
10-28-2002, 03:52 PM
I am waiting for a smoker to make the comparison between deaths caused by smoking and deaths caused by drinking. The argument is inevitable :D

TaoBoy
10-28-2002, 04:03 PM
I always remember something my dad used to say (paraphrased):

"You are a smoker. I accept that. It's your vice. A by-product of your vice is smoke. It gets into my eyes, my hair, my lungs and my clothes. I find it distasteful. However, I accept this. Now, I'm a drinker. A by-product of drinking is urine. So, I'm sure you won't mind when I p!ss in your eyes, hair and on your face and clothes."

Aramus
10-28-2002, 04:07 PM
Well smoking is far better than drinking because...hmm
1) Smoking too much normally doesn't cause accidents ...unless there is too much smoke in the car...and if there is, for god sakes roll down a window.
2) I never smoke goggled a woman
3) Smoking doesn't need to be oxidized...sort of
4) You can take a smoke break at work, not a drink break
5) And speaking of which, smoke breaks are free breaks! Yea ha all you non-smokers
6) I never slurred my words due to smoking
7) never stumbled down the stairs because of my smoking (missing the stair b/c there was too much smoke...another story altogether).
8) Smoking is cool, look at Holly Wood, all the real bad asses smoke!
9) Drinking and smoking sometimes go together...sorry kinda lost my train of thought
10) Smoking only hurts me (and the people in the room and my finances, etc. etc.)

Ha! Debate started.

FatherDog
10-28-2002, 07:26 PM
My take:

The government doesn't have a right to say whether or not you can smoke. It's your own body and your own choice.

The government DOES have a right to say WHERE you can smoke, because secondary smoke is a health risk.

Your right to swing your arm ends where it contacts my face. Your right to smoke ends where it affects other people.

Serpent
10-28-2002, 07:41 PM
If you're that against smoking, then don't go to places where people smoke. If someone smokes in a no smoking area, smack 'em upside the head. Walking down the street!? Get OVER yourself!

KC Elbows
10-29-2002, 09:25 AM
Everybody stays down and no one gets hurt.

I'm ****ed, and since this thread is already off topic, I'm taking it over.

Why the **** do people get dogs they can't and won't take care of? I know a couple people who got a dog a few years back. Now, they never took this dog for walks, and it's a big dog that doesn't have much room. They didn't really pet the dog, they never cuddle with the dog, they rarely play with the dog, and, to top it off, THEY DON'T LIKE DOGS.

It's a mother and son, the son is grown, and they just wanted a dog to be his childhood companion and to watch the house.

Well, now the dog is old and has bad allergies that make her stink, so they don't pet her at all, because then their hands would smell, and of course they don't play with her, and she's miserable. She's not miserable because she's got allergies, she's miserable because no one really cares about her in that house.

Real conversation I had with the owner yesterday:

ME: You bought the dog, it's your responsibility to take care of her.

HER: I take care of her.

ME: In the five years I've known you, I've never once seen you pet her.

HER: I pet her. Anyways, she smells.

ME: Tough.

HER: Okay Mr. Perfect.

ME: No, I'm mister "If I don't start seeing you make some sacrifices for your dog, I'm calling you in".

HER: I sacrificed my home for her.

ME: That's not a sacrifice, that comes with the territory. You buy a dog in this area, you've got to have them in your home part of the time, that doesn't mean you also don't have to show them affection and not ignore them for three years at a pop. I've never heard you do much but yell at the dog and complain about it.

HER: Well, she seems to love me just fine.

ME: It's a dog. They're the most loving creatures on earth. She'd probably love you if you beat her. That a dog loves you doesn't necessarily say anything about you, other than that you've got to earn it.

HER: Well, I'm not gonna do it just because you told me to.

ME: Well, seeing as how I always somehow end up taking care of your dog, you better start.

God, people **** me off sometimes. At least she doesn't throw the dog in a cage while she's at work. Someone needs to throw *******s who do that in a cage for four hours twice daily and see how well they behave.

I'm sick of people buying dogs because their children want them, and never educating themselves and their kids on how to take care of dogs. It's like entertaining our children is the highest priority in the world, not teaching our children about responsibility and common decency. Hey kids, let's go to Disneyland and learn absolutely nothing about anything. Wouldn't that be fun?

:mad:

guohuen
10-29-2002, 10:04 AM
Just think. These people also raise children. Can you say social services.

Lisa
10-29-2002, 10:08 AM
I hate people who don't take care of their dogs too. I worked at the SPCA for a while. You'd be surprised at how many stray dogs come in there who have been trained. A lot of them can sit on command. Some of them knew several tricks. So obviously someone was taking care of them at some point. They just decided they didn't want them anymore and set them loose. I could never do something like that.

KC Elbows
10-29-2002, 10:16 AM
Lisa,
She hinted one time about how she didn't want the dog anymore. I knew with a dog that age with those problems what that meant. I was so incredibly mad at her, so she felt it best to change her mind.

Ford Prefect
10-29-2002, 10:50 AM
I agree with Father Dog. The gov't shouldn't be able to keep you from doing anything to yourself in the privacy of your own home. However, you have no right to force people to inhale cancer causing agents because you're addicted to it. Smoking in public places will eventually be banned. Many cities have already done so.

KC Elbows
10-29-2002, 10:58 AM
Second hand smoke outdoors is a joke. No one's gotten cancer from smelling smoke outside. Some of those "public" places are outside, and that's rediculous. I can buy not having it in a restaurant or what have you, but outdoors is pretty frikkin safe, and frnakly, you're more likely to get cancer from car exhaust outdoors than people smoking.

However, this is about dogs and people. People who see pets as a good thing to buy for their or their kids entertainment are shallow and selfish jerks, and I'm more mad at them than the smokers right now, so this hijacking will continue until my demands are met.

KC Elbows
10-29-2002, 11:28 AM
My demands:

1) A simple set of Draconian laws that allows the public beating of bad pet owners.

2) The formation of the "KC Elbows fund" to rescue and retrain abused pets.

3) And end to MMA vs. TMA threads

4) Clarification as to what the heck Gene is saying on that Deadhead Shaolin thread in the bottom forum. Something about truckin, then I don't know.

5) A 500 word essay on the causes and problems of excess earwax from all the KFO members.

6) A "Got Qi" keychain, preferrably the one that is in the shape of a boxing glove.

7) A George Foreman Grill and a Juicer.

8) A brief historical dissertation on the roots of the expression "of course"

9) A "no nitpicking" clause added to Braden's contract.

Until then, I will not budge from my stance, and will take myself and this entire thread down in a blaze of animal cruelty hating flame, whatever the heck that means.

Cipher
10-29-2002, 12:03 PM
Since the thread is getting a little off topic I might as well throw this in. What really ****es me off is when I finally find an enpty bathroom at work and I start to do me duty and some dumb butt plops down in the the stall next to me, the worse part is when there are three stalls and they have to go in the one right next to me instead of the furthest one apart. I know this is a ridiculous rant but it makes me mad.

KC,

I like number (6)

Hai_To
10-29-2002, 12:29 PM
I agree with KC Elbows, especially demand #4. That Deadhead thread is ... odd.

Of course my agreement may be an example of Stockholm Syndrome.

wufupaul
10-29-2002, 03:52 PM
KC, get a list of people who don't take care of their dogs(Or any other pets), and I'll fly out to wherever they are and set em straight, :D I'll take care of the smokers, too, while I'm at it.

KC Elbows
10-29-2002, 04:05 PM
First things first.

Gene's on. Better read this, Gene, and capitulate on my demands of an explanation of that dead thread, and the boxing glove key chain. My cat really loved the one you sent me before, she played with it all of the time, but anyway...

:mad:

CAVE IN TO MY DEMANDS OR I WILL CONTINUE TO HOLD THIS THREAD HOSTAGE!

BTW, some of the hostages are starting to get hungry. Could you bring in some bacon sammiches? And a carton of pal malls if you could. Thank you.

LOL @ Hai to and his "Stockholm Syndrome"!:D

dezhen2001
10-29-2002, 04:13 PM
wow wufu - ur gonna be busy :D
long time no see, hope all is well buddy :cool:

dawood

dezhen2001
10-29-2002, 04:14 PM
hey got any halal food there as well Gene? i can't eat bacon :p
anyone wanna meet in the chat room? (http://www.fighterschat.com/chat.php) ?

dawood

wufupaul
10-29-2002, 04:57 PM
I can't get into that chat now, they must be working on it or something, bah!!

dezhen2001
10-29-2002, 05:27 PM
its working fine for me... :confused:
hey check ur PM...

dawood

Serpent
10-29-2002, 07:28 PM
Hey KC. If you're not careful Dubya will consider this thread-jack an act of terrorism and send his war chimps in.

Oh hang on... No, you're all right. There's no oil under this thread, so Bush won't even notice.

As for the dog thing, I stand shoulder to shoulder with you, KC (how tall are you?) I simply will not stand for people mistreating dogs. They are natures embodiment of unconditional love.

Meet KC's demands now or there'll be trouble!

Hell no, we won't go. Hell no, we won't go!

Sharky
10-30-2002, 09:14 AM
try working in a ****ing nightclub. i hate it :(

KC Elbows
10-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Serpent,
6'3", but, if need be, we can get a foot stool. And **** straight about how loving dogs are.

ewallace
10-30-2002, 09:47 AM
I think I will have s'mores for dinner tonight.

KC Elbows
10-30-2002, 09:55 AM
All right, s'mores for ewallace, some halal for Dezhen, bacon sammiches for the rest of us, or wufu will shoot one of the 4000 members we never see for every hour until you capitulate to our demands, starting with Flattop Monk.

GeneChing
10-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Surely you've all read my article on fighting pipes back in our Taoist special issue http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=235 .

If you don't like smoke, never go to China. We imported all sorts of cool stuff from China - kungfu, gunpowder, ketchup, etc. All they took from us was tobacco and corn syrup. Now there's international diplomacy.

And as for translating the deadhead thread on the TC forum KC, give it up, don't even try to understand. You've inspired me to write more tho, just to further befuddle you. Shaolin Deadheads unite!

dezhen2001
10-30-2002, 11:26 AM
KC: starting to sound good...

hello no we won't go!

sharky: how r ya mate? working in clubs really suck :(

dawood

KC Elbows
10-30-2002, 11:41 AM
That's not how you negotiate.

Geez, a crisis situation with a hippie at the helm on one side, and a deadhead working against him. There's no telling how it will end, but there will definitely not be enough sleeping bags.

It's a give and take. You say "No on the dead code, but I'll send you a boxing glove keychain AND the punching bag one, if you free ten members by noon". Then I'd say, "Five members", and you'd say "Seven, and one of them can't be eWallace", then we'd settle.

This is quickly turning into a major crisis.

dezhen2001
10-30-2002, 12:14 PM
dont u want ewallace to make it out alive? :eek:
hey the keychain idea sounds cool though... wheres the halal food? :mad:

dawood

wufupaul
10-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Allright, 1 on the list...give me more!! I'm itchin' to whack dog abusers! :mad: I don't need guns, though...I got these guns right here!(Kisses bicep) :p
Dez: I'll bring some Halal lamb lamb meat from a store down the street..mmmhh...lamb meat..aauuuggghhh. :D

txwingchun
10-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Cipher
Since the thread is getting a little off topic I might as well throw this in. What really ****es me off is when I finally find an enpty bathroom at work and I start to do me duty and some dumb butt plops down in the the stall next to me, the worse part is when there are three stalls and they have to go in the one right next to me instead of the furthest one apart. I know this is a ridiculous rant but it makes me mad.

KC,

I like number (6)

I'm with you there or whats even worse **** buddies! you know the person that sits down in the stall next to you an strikes up a converstion:mad:

Serpent
10-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
Serpent,
6'3", but, if need be, we can get a foot stool. And **** straight about how loving dogs are.

Close enough, I'm 6'1".

Gene, you'd better start taking this seriously. Don't forget that the got qi? girls are members here now and that makes them our political hostages too!

Solidarity!

GeneChing
10-31-2002, 11:05 AM
Should we call in a federal arbitrator?

Hai_To
10-31-2002, 11:17 AM
Gene,

Are you sure you want to call the Feds in? You are a deadhead after all. ;)

KC Elbows
10-31-2002, 11:34 AM
Could we get a negotiator who's not a deadhead in here?:D

GeneChing
10-31-2002, 03:29 PM
...or didn't you know that. Maybe not so much with the Bush regime, but Tipper actually jammed with a few of the band members a while back. You'd be surprised who sports a Garcia tie.

We are everywhere.

Hai_To
10-31-2002, 04:00 PM
WE ARE THE DEADHEADS, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

GeneChing
10-31-2002, 04:21 PM
Star Trek could change it's captains, but there was only one Captain Trips. Now, seven years afer Jerry's gone on to jam with Janis, Jimi, John and Nesta, we deadheads are more like elves. If you see us dancing in circles, look for the mushroom ring, or just listen to the music play.

Hai_To
10-31-2002, 04:28 PM
Uh-oh, I think KC's hijacked thread has been hijacked.

Serpent
10-31-2002, 04:44 PM
Arrgghh! Gene's trying to confuse this hijacking with his stinking hippie deadhead tactics! It's like those Russians using opiated gas to kill the hostages before the terrorists had a chance to do it!

Stand firm, KC, we will regain control.

Gene, don't think it's that easy to topple this revolution!

GeneChing
10-31-2002, 05:54 PM
You guys knock yourselves out here. I'll get back to you when I return from Malee Khow's tournament in CT. By then, you'll all be too hungry to hold out.

Serpent
10-31-2002, 06:01 PM
Not true. We'll eat EWallace.

dezhen2001
10-31-2002, 06:02 PM
is ewallace halal? :D

dawood

Serpent
10-31-2002, 06:04 PM
He's a midget. Does that count?

dezhen2001
10-31-2002, 06:06 PM
god bless him... does now :D

dawood

logic
11-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Why you sons of Bi

You no good rotten Bas

I can't believe you guys just

Oh, what the hells the use of complaining anymore.----Nevermind :D :D :D ;) :cool:

logic
11-01-2002, 03:43 PM
My dog drinks beer:)

KC Elbows
11-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Hear that, Gene, there's a bear drinking dog who's gonna get it if you don't cave in to our demands.

Of course, this is still about standing up to people who don't take care of their pets. However, you can't make an omelot and all that. You know how it goes.:D

GeneChing
11-05-2002, 04:00 PM
I give you guys 4 days to stage this major protest here on this thread while I'm on assignment in CT. FOUR DAYS!!!

All you can come up with is a beer drinking dog?

The revolution won't be televised. Nor will it be posted on the net.

Serpent
11-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Well, this all ended up a bit like a David Letterman show.

What a disappointment.

GeneChing
11-06-2002, 11:08 AM
So does that make you Dave or Paul Schaffer?

Hai_To
11-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Lets get this thread back on topic, alright?

We were talking about dogs who smoke and the owners that love them.

Serpent
11-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
So does that make you Dave or Paul Schaffer?

Gene, if you ever even think of suggesting again that I might be Paul Schaffer, I'll... I'll....

Oooh! I'm so mad!

(Althought it's kinda funny to think of KC as Dave Letterman! :eek: :D )

TaoBoy
11-06-2002, 04:46 PM
I've obviously walked in on the ass-end of a thread that has gotten completely outta control. Now what were we talking about? Anyone? Bueller?

Serpent
11-06-2002, 04:49 PM
This is five pages of beautiful tangent and cross-hijacking. It can't be explained. You'll have to read it.

Do you know any dogs that smoke?

old jong
11-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Anybody owns a dog called smokey?

Serpent
11-06-2002, 04:58 PM
Anybody here like to smoke dogs?

Serpent
11-06-2002, 04:59 PM
There's certainly some folks that like to dog smokers! ;)

logic
11-06-2002, 08:29 PM
Cheech and Chong were smokin dog, man.

Or was that dog sh!t?
Anyway I like eatin corn dog, but it's loaded with fat.:D :D

Serpent
11-06-2002, 09:08 PM
"Well, man, it's mostly labrador, but it's got some mowie wowie in it..."

Tommy Chong

(Classic stuff!)

GeneChing
11-07-2002, 10:59 AM
It's important to spell your drug **** right.

The obvious puns here are that this thread has (A) gone up in smoke or (B) gone to the dogs.

Serpent- Well, I'm not going to be Paul because I got too much hair. Sure wish I could play like him tho...

Serpent
11-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Finally! Someone that you DO have more hair than! ;)

I wish I could play like him too... and I wouldn't mind his pay cheque. But I still ain't gonna be him!

(Maui. Of course.)

GeneChing
11-08-2002, 10:54 AM
It's my winter coat. My hair is longer than most of the women in the office now. I guess next year will be time to go back to Shaolin and shave...

@PLUGO
11-15-2002, 01:41 PM
My dog has long hair, doesn't smoke but eats firewood & pincones...

GeneChing
11-15-2002, 04:32 PM
Have you heard about that new translating collar the Japanese have developed for dogs? It identifies common dog tones and translates them into words. Now if we can only get them to post on the forum....

@PLUGO
11-15-2002, 04:51 PM
My dog's been working hard to learn english (http://www.engrish.com/) I think she would be offended if I tryed to giver her a sort of translating colar (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/train.html)

Not that I think it would ever work...

David Jamieson
11-15-2002, 08:48 PM
Right then! Take this bus to cuba!!!

Or I release the smoking dog.

seriously, the 4 day lull to the beer drinking dog retort made me chuckle loudly.

peace

Mr Punch
11-16-2002, 01:29 AM
You all heard the one about the dog with no legs called Woodbine? The owner takes him for a drag...! :rolleyes:

I actually know somebody in a wheelchair with a dog named Woodbine for the same reason...!!! :D

logic
11-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Don't give my dog that collar

After my dog has a few beers, he would be hangin all over me and tellin me how much he loves me.

Then he would be hittin on my girl, Tellin me how pretty she is and humppin her leg.

then he would want to drive, and I won't let em, and he starts argueing with me.. sayin stuff like "You don't own me" and "I can do what ever the hell I want to".

Then he would take a Drunk swing at me (and miss of corse) Then fall flat on his a$$ where he would then pass out!

It would just be a bad seen all together.

So I vote no to the talking collar.

Some things are better not said.

wufupaul
11-18-2002, 02:08 AM
That was the first post that I've lol at in a while logic, too funny. :D