PDA

View Full Version : FAO Black and Blue re: Kamon

jameshogg1971
10-28-2002, 05:06 AM
Hi B&B,

I notice you attend classes at one of the Kamon schools. I am considering attending too, and have a few quick questions that I'd like you to answer, if possible....

Does Mr.Chan teach his students the complete system? I spoke to him, and he emphasised the need to be able to deal with whatever comes at you, rather than just the straight punch, which is fair enough, but I'm a little worried that I'll learn a 'street' system, and not Wing Chun. If so, approx. how long have you been there, and how 'far' into the system would you say you've progressed?

The demo I saw was in a dance studio- Consequently there were no wall bags. This is slightly worrying to me, as I believe a student need to practice with a bag in order to develop power, rather than simply air-punch. Are there plenty of hand pads to make up for this?

Is the Kung-Fu taught regarded as hard or soft? I saw a couple of students Chi-Sau at the demo, and one of them was sweating profusely after a minute or so. I'm pretty much a novice, and thought that rolling was meant to be pretty 'soft' and technique based, and therefore good practitioners are unlikely to grow tired.

If this post sounds negative it really isn't meant to...I was very impressed with Mr.Chan, and the friendly feel of the school, and am seriously considering joining. If you'd prefer to answer privately (given the politics on some of these boards!!!) I can send my eMail via admin.

Cheers,
James

black and blue
10-28-2002, 06:14 AM
I've been training at Kamon for about 18 months. I was at the demo last Tuesday at Covent Garden (which is the one you're talking about) so perhaps we passed :)

Chan Sifu puts emphasis on playing different concepts during Chi Sau. He advocates using a soft feel and relaxation, but at times encourages a very aggressive Chi Sau too. While we certainly aim to hit hard, the focus is on using sensitivity and relaxation to beat our opponent.

If people were sweating... it was probably because it was hot in there!! :D I was sweating just watching. Chi Sau in itself shouldn't (IMO) make you sweat.

The complete system is taught. The three hand forms, dummy form, pole, and knives. What we learn is most definitely Wing Chun, but as you've said, we practice hard against the type of attack you'll see on the street. This means we train agaisnt the straight punch, jabs, crosses, hooks, haymakers, pushes, headbutts, clinching, etc.

While one of us is throwing these attacks, we're defending/countering using Wing Chun.

How far have I progressed? Well, 18 months is a drop in the ocean... but I've been shown SNT and Chum Kiu (two of the hand forms) and I'm about three months or so into learning Chi Sau. Of course, being shown and learning the movements is one thing... perfecting it is something else all together.

A loooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg way to go! ;) But I think I'm making progress. One of the things I like about Kamon is the open attitude. If you're a good student and you train hard, you'll progress. No one is held back. If you're improving, you step up to the next level.

If you've any more Qs, post here or mail me! Hope to see you at one of the classes.

I train at Croydon on a Monday, Crawley on a Tuesday, and on Wednesday's I venture into deepest, darkest Sussex and train at Little Haven (!).

I intend to mix up Wednesdays and get to Covent Garden too, so maybe we'll meet.

Cheers,

Duncan

Ps. Student's can buy wall bags if they want to use them at home, but in class we use hand-held pads or mitts for contact/hitting development. You won't see this at a demo, but we whack the pads at pretty much every class. This usually means punching when stationary, punching with stepping, some elbow work, etc.

jameshogg1971
10-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Thanks Duncan,

Yep, I was at the demo last week. I was the impressed looking one at the front :) You've certainly put my mind at rest, so I may well join soon (was hoping to start tomorrow. but have plenty work to catch up on this week) I'm also hoping to persuade a friend to join so I have someone to practice with...

One last thing - Is it a case of just turning up and paying your cash?

Cheers,
James

black and blue
10-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Sure - turn up and pay! :D ;)

You pay for the month and then train at whatever classes you like (I think, as a beginner, this might exclude the Wednesday class in Covent Garden, but I'm not sure). Best to call the number on the website and talk to Bill Bostock.

You'll also need to pay the yearly membership for insurance reasons (not that you're in danger or anything :eek: ).

Were you the big fella? I was standing near the back under the air conditioning (a wise, wise move, me thinks). I arrived quite early and was pleased to find a room of 20 or so very beautiful women doing Dance Yoga... The Pinapple Dance Studio is a truly wonderful place!!! ;)

Dunc

PQS
10-28-2002, 09:36 AM
"the Pineapple Dance studio is a truely wonderful place"
about 17 years ago I attended an Austin Goh class, did far to much for a person in my state of fitness, came out to change at the end and collapsed!
cue lots of georgeous women in leotards saying " are you o.k. you shouldn't do to much on your first time etc"
I thourgt I'd died and gone to heaven
regards
Peter