PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read Wing Lam's Iron Palm Book?

IronFist
10-28-2002, 01:18 PM
I just saw this on his website. I haven't been there in a while.

Wing Lam's Iron Palm Book (http://www.wle.com//products/b1068.html)

His video was pretty good, so I imagine the book is good as well.

IronFist

Nevermind
10-29-2002, 09:44 AM
The school that I attend actually has that book for sale. I have browsed through it a couple of times. It appears to be really in depth. I will definitely be purchasing it as I will be starting iron palm within the next couple of weeks. The book actually breaks down the various methods of iron palm but focuses extensively on the Shaolin method as practiced by Grandmaster Ku Yu Cheong. You may also want to check out the latest issue of Inside Kung Fu. There is an excerpt from the book focusing on the Tiger Iron Palm method of Ha Say Fu Hung Gar.

IronFist
10-29-2002, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

IronFist

Diu Sao
10-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Make sure you have proper one on one instruction though. Books are a valuable resource but improper iron palm training can mean the end of your hands and the beggining of life long joint pain. I am by no means attempting to discredit these books though. Hope it works out for you.

Diu Sao

JusticeZero
10-30-2002, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I have to concur with everything here, even though I don't know much about "iron palm" in general. I had to chuckle a bit at the conclusion, where he basically said "The McDojo nuts have been and are trying to copy all my breaking tricks and messing up their hands. I felt sorry for them, and decided that I had to make the book so they at least wouldn't maim themselves as often"..

GeneChing
11-05-2002, 04:20 PM
But in all fairness, Wing Lam is my Sifu, so I'm pretty biased. ;) For the other iron palm stuff that came before, the standard has been set. I'm ready to see a breaking match between the iron palms of Grey, Montague and my sifu.

Thanks for the props on his vidoes! I worked on the scripts for those. You know it's funny, the iron palm video sold like hotcakes and when Sifu Lam told me of the Ha Say Fu style, I told him we had to do another video on that and call it Tiger style. He didn't think we could do one, not enough material. Now there's enough to fill a whole book!

In all fairness (and I know my martial brothers & sisters will give me grief for this since I'm always the one to point out the emperor's new clothes) the book has it's faults. There really isn't enough material to support a whole book so there a lot of redundancy and the gutter extra wide to make it look longer. I mean, really, how much can you say about iron palm? Hit a mung bean bag, then move up to iron in stages and use jow. 'nuff said.

Also it jumps back and forth with its romanization from pinyin to pinyin with tone numbers (!!) to cantonese to characters. It's a real shame this couldn't have been standardized since they had the ability to do so. There is a new "academic" level of publishing since character are easy to incorporate with the new programs and pinyin is automatic. Also, much of the intro material is cited from other sources, but the citation isn't referenced adequately. Again, the new academic level rears its picky head. Lastly, it tends to default to wle/lamkwoon promotion, but less than the other iron palms works. I remember Sifu Lam chuckling at Brian Grey selling iron palm certification, but now he does it too, so that's kind of odd to me.

But these problems are redeemed by the author, Chet Braun, who is quite experienced in iron palm training and offers some fantastic straight forward advice, the kind of which can only come from experience. That alone is worth the price for anyone serious about iron palm training.

If you get the book, tell them Gene sent you!

IronFist
11-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Will that get me a discount? :D

IronFist

GeneChing
11-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Nah, they'd probably charge you extra if they heard that. :p J/K Try ask for a discount and drop my name, it would be interesting to see what it gets you.

IronFist
11-06-2002, 11:35 AM
"Gene Ching says I get a 15% discount..."

:D :p

****, that means I gotta call and order. Ordering over the internet is so much easier :)

IronFist