PDA

View Full Version : Forms

tri2bmt
10-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Hey, I'm quite new to wing chun as I only learned the first form before I had to move to the country and now I have no teacher. I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a book on the second and third forms as I'd really like to learn them.

Jeff Preston
10-28-2002, 11:31 PM
Tri2bmt, You can'nt learn everything you need from a book. You need a Sifu or older class member to help you along. You could read a book on Wing Chun but, do you think you can grasp everything their saying. One mistake and you could be a mile away from what they are asking you to do. Experience from a Sifu will make it a shorter trip. Hope this helps.

Martial Joe
10-29-2002, 01:50 AM
Where do you live?

Maybe there is some schools around you.

tri2bmt
10-29-2002, 10:53 AM
I realize that I need a sifu but there is none near me and I want to continue to study. THis way, with the foundation built during my year and a half with my sifu, i can expand and whenever i find a new sifu, he can correct me. IF there are no books than fine. But if there is I would really like to know the titles and at least apply the principals of the first form to the others.

Jeff Preston
10-29-2002, 11:11 AM
There are good books,but who do you want to study from is the Question.

tri2bmt
10-29-2002, 01:41 PM
My teacher taught a style that could be traced more or less to Ip CHun. I read his book and the hand placement, tension required and arrangement of movements were the same. So something along those lines. I just need to learn the footwork of the second and third forms and I really want to learn the shooting fingers set.

yenhoi
10-29-2002, 05:15 PM
My advice would be do do the first form, and stance training, and any footwork drills your first sifu gave you. Those are the drills and forms and stance that you will be training the most anyways, regardless if you know the 2nd and 3rd form and the associated drills.

Not enough can be said for the practice of the first form.It will not teach you to fight, but nothing except fighting does that anyways.

Chum Kil, Biu Jee, and Mook Jong forms are very important, but no matter what, if you practice them from a book, you will be doing more harm then good.

Think of it as time economy: should you spend your time and energy practicing what you have already been taught, that needs practice, and always will, VS spending valuable time and energy on something incomplete from a book. For me this would be an easy choice (and was) as I value my time and energy above all else.

A few of the principles Im sure your first Sifu taught you was, simplicity, and economy. Apply those principles.

yenhoi
10-29-2002, 05:16 PM
Also, I will post the names and authors of the books I have on WC when I get home.

Another option might be finding someone in your area who used to play WC and train with them.

anerlich
10-29-2002, 07:21 PM
To answer the guy's question with something other than "you are wasting your time learning from a book":

The lineage bias here is obvious and I'm not even trying to hide it:

Chum Kil is shown in detail and complete accuracy in "Advanced Wing Chun" by William Cheung. From memory, it's also on one of the "Wing Chun Way" tapes from William Cheung.

Bil Jee is in "Wing Chun Bill Jee" by William Cheung. The book has a missing section and a couple of variations to what I was taught but is pretty right other rthan that.

Butterfly Swords are in "Kung Fu Butterfly Swords", by guess who. Pretty accurate. Also on one of the Wing Chun Way tapes.

Dragon pole - "Kung Fu Dragon Pole", same again. The sequence of pictures seems to have been messed up in this book.

Dummy - GM Cheung may have some later videos I haven't seen (we left his organisation in 1996). Rick Spain sells a video with multiple angles, slomo. and applications at www.combatcentres.com.

There are no doubt other finme sources, these are the only ones I've seen. And they're probably pretty useless to someone who don't do TWC.

Is there another CMA teacher near you? IMHO, doing something else with a good teacher is better than just trying to struggle along on your own.

teazer
10-30-2002, 07:08 AM
Alternately. pretty much most commercial instructors have a video series out there with all the forms on them. Some even offer online instruction.
Caveat emptor!

Shisio
10-31-2002, 09:02 PM
Anybody know of any video's with WC forms?

teazer
11-01-2002, 12:29 AM
Yes. Many. Why?

PHILBERT
11-01-2002, 10:27 AM
tri2bmt

Just out of curiousity, where DO you live?

Shisio
11-04-2002, 08:09 PM
Teazer, you do live up to your name. Because I'd like to learn them. Unfortunatley there isn't anyone in my area that teaches them either. So unless your kidding me, whats the scoop? Thanx

teazer
11-04-2002, 11:05 PM
Well as I mentioned, pretty much all the more well known commercial instructors have video series and most of them have them for sale on their websites . I've found tapes advertized fairly prolifically in kung fu magazines. However the forms vary somewhat even between Yip Man's students. Thus it's difficult to make a recommendation, especially without knowing who's stuff you've learned so far or even what country you're in (& thus what video format you'd need or, for instance who has the distribution rights to whatever footage it might be)
Given all that, I was kinda thinking either you could give us a bit more info or you could consult the Oracle - AKA Google, and get a phone number to call.

Shisio
11-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Alright, I'll do both.
I live in the States, have gone to a couple Ron Biliki seminars, and currently train at a school that messes the filipino arts with JKD. The filipino arts are from just one step from the source, and the JKD comes from Biliki. So most pure wing chun I've learned has from Yimm Lee's book, or others who train at my school. Though it's hard for me to decifer how true the techniques are to classic WC.

I know to check out Ron's site, and a few other big names, but I was curious if there were any other good WC tapes out there. I got one tape quite awhile ago with, I'm not sure about the name, Ted Wong? He unfortunately passed away in 97' I think. Sound familar to anyone?

Thanx

p.s. no commercial TKD kinda schools please.

anerlich
11-08-2002, 05:27 AM
No disrespect to either, but these days it seems just about every JKD school does lots of FMA.

Ted Wong is/was a JKD guy, not a WC'er. Perhaps you are thinking of Wong Shun Leung.

teazer
11-08-2002, 07:37 AM
OK, that helps to know where you're coming from.
There are good tapes for reference, and there are good tapes for learning a sequence of moves. Depending on how good you are at picking stuff up off tape, will determine what sort of tape you want to get.
Personally I'd start with the video of Yip Man doing SLT, CK + MYJ. Over here that combination is usually sold by Steve Lee Swift (Danger, Sifu plug!) titled "Original Wing Chun" tel 813-87-SWIFT. If I remember rightly, it also has Yip Chun doing some of them afterwards slower & with better film quality.

yuanfen
11-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Teazer-do they take orders by phone/
How much?
O have misplaced mine and would like to buy one
for my very disorganized collection..
Help?