PDA

View Full Version : leung jan's sons

rochester
10-28-2002, 10:00 PM
Yip Man claims to have learned from Leung Bik, Leung Jan's son. Also, different lineages claim to be from his other son. Is there any proof these two lived? If they did, there must be some information on them.

Mr. Bao
10-29-2002, 08:50 AM
R

The question if Yip Man studied with Leung Bik is truth, it is quite uncertain. Moreover, I have heard from reading some sources that the story of Yip Man connection with Leung Bik was made up to create an air of wonder for Yip Man in Hong Kong. However, many of his students do believe that he did in fact study with Leung Bik. I must agreed too because his level of skill was indeed different than his fellow kung fu brothers.

In the end of the day, does it really matter now? We have the forms and some of the technical ideas of Yip Man's wing chun. I do not see knowing the truth of Yip Man and Leung Bik connection would mean anything different too the Yip Man's students and our klan.

joy chaudhuri
10-29-2002, 09:17 AM
Now it does not really matter. Ip Man himself said that he also learned from Leung Bik and said that to his sons too as they were growing up. The fullness of Yip Man's wing chun shows his ability to blend things. He lists Chan Wah sun as his sifu per custom- your first teacher is your sifu...you dont list others as co- sifus. There is the story that Ip man used Leung Bik's name for publicity- but neither I nor the storytellers were around when Ip Man was learning. Now it doesnt matter that much.

reneritchie
10-29-2002, 09:29 AM
Hey, some in Foshan claim Leung Jan had 3 sons! (Bik, Chun, & Suen). Think we'll see secret Leung Suen WCK now? And in Gulao, some claim he had 5 sons, including Leung Chai, who was known as Pock Face Chai and moved to Vietnam. Curiously enough, Yuen Kay-San's brother was named Yuen Chai(-Wan), was known as Pock Face Chai, and moved to Vietnam.

All this to say, there's a lot of opinions, and a lot of muddle. There doesn't yet seem to be any definitive proof (grave markers, family tablets, etc.) available to give much clarity.

But hey, supposedly his niece moved to Malaysia and taught the true original version there...

(Trouble is, when you're one of the local folk-heroes, everyone seems to want to tie their cart to you).

glenn richards
10-29-2002, 03:45 PM
Hi Rochster
For what its worth here are two Schools which claim Leung Chun Lineage;
http://www.spin.net.au/~daver/kungfu/
and
http://www.webspawner.com/users/mywingchun/
Hope this helps
Regards
Glenn

hunt1
10-29-2002, 04:56 PM
Have to say that since both schools list Chung Mei ,one as teacher one as ancestor,some consideration has to be given to Leung Chun as being real.

Glen what does Leung Chun WC look like,Yip Man WC,TWC,YKS,etc. Would be interesting to see this version of WC. Also would be interesting to see how close in style the 2 schools are.

glenn richards
10-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Hi Hunt 1
I actually studied with the Oz School for about 6 Years, which as you can see on the site closed around 96.
I only recently found the NYC School site recently and like you noticed the 'Chung Mei' link which i found really interesting and does i believe a little bit of weight to the whole Leung Chun thing.
As for what it 'looks' like i now do TST Style and have first hand experience of WSL, LT & TWC Wing Chun and out of the lot would say it most resembles Leung Ting WC which certainly doesn't gel with the Leung Bik-TWC Story, particularly considering the story that they both knew the "true wing chun".
Some features of the style are;
- Very tight goat stance... less than fist distance
- weighted rear foot........ 90/10
- elbows on centre line
- a LOT of static and mobile stance work early on.
- and an odd one..... during chisao instead of going from low foksao to high foksao on the opponents tansao to bongsao they go from low foksao to punch
I tried dropping the NYC school an email but couldn't connect
Maybe someone on the forum Knows about the School?
And id be really interested if anyone knew anything about 'Chung Mei'.
regards
Glenn Richards

vingtsunstudent
10-30-2002, 01:56 AM
hi glenn
now where exactly did you get your experience from the wsl lineage?
just playin bud, how ya been? long time no see.
i often see ya lerkin' about around here.
so what school you at now?
and for those who wish to know, glenn is really good and trains very hard and chi saus very well.
it was always good to see him and get an idea of the way that schools of the mainland lineage do things.
if your ever comin' up this way let me know as bill has relocated the school and maybe we can catch up as it's been a few years.
vts

glenn richards
10-30-2002, 06:14 AM
Hi Anthony
Good to hear from you.
Yeh i do lurk a bit but i dont see any point saying something unless i feel it really contributes.
Thanks for your kind words although i probably don't train quite as hard as i did back then.
Im training in Sydney with Beau Bouzaid (ex Jim Fung) hard task master and very realistic training...you'd like it. Bill and Tony both know him. Its got its differences to the mainland style particularly stance work.
I also did some Pak Mei with Andy Truong for a little while a couple of years ago, good stuff but still not wing chun. Terrific fellow though.
So bills moved the school! I was up there about a year ago and trained for one night and id like to try and go up before the end of the year. Let me know where he has moved and ill sort something out.
Once again good speaking
Talk soon
Glenn

vingtsunstudent
10-30-2002, 06:57 AM
hi glenn
andy hey, i actually used to travel and train with him when he was running classes on the central coast, at that time he would only teach us his jow gar, which was cool as it gave me an idea of what other styles have to offer compared to wing chun. i was actually wanting his loong ying but such is life( and yes, heis a great guy). i ended up with a taste of from eslewhere anyway.
ah those were the days, alot younger and not so lazy;)
if you ever see him tell him i said hi.
the school is now only just down the road in mayfield, not hard to find from the old one. it's only a few hundred metres from bills house, if you know where that is. i will get you the exact address, so atleast then you have it incase you are ever up this way.
anyways it's good to here from you and i'm glad you are still enjoying it.
i''l talk to soon and give you the address.
regards
anthony(aka vts)

Jim Roselando
10-30-2002, 08:07 AM
Hey Rene,

With regards to the Koo Lo info on the sons of Leung Jan I can tell you that it may have been just some BS they fed Leung Ting during his interview/visit with them. The info I was told was that Leugn Jan had two sons and neither one were very good although Leung Bik was supposed to be better. Now we can add that info to the rest of the stories. :confused:

Regards,