PDA

View Full Version : Preying mantis kung fu in los angeles?

berry king
10-28-2002, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone, I am looking for a preying mantis kung school in L.A., and havent been able to find one yet. I have been looking really hard all over the internet and magazines. Does anyone know of any schools in L.A.? As of now i am not looking for a particular style, i just want to get started on it. I would appreciated it if someone would tell me the difference beetween all the styles, or direct me to a book or website that does. Anyway, any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Stacey
10-29-2002, 09:14 AM
www.8step.com

Xue Tanglang
10-29-2002, 11:05 AM
http://wrightskungfuacademy.com

WRIGHT'S PRAYING MANTIS KUNG FU ACADEMY
Sifu Derrick Wright
11401 N. Chandler Boulevard
North Hollywood California 91601
wrightskungfu@aol.com
(818) 761-1315 (818) 430-7995

hungy
10-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Sifu Derek ifrom Wrights academy s an awesome Sifu. I have trained with him and he is a patient and great martial artist.

KickingMantis
11-03-2002, 08:50 PM
WRIGHT'S PRAYING MANTIS KUNG FU ACADEMY
12114 Sylvan Street
North Hollywood, Californina 91606
(818) 761-0367
www.wrightskungfuacademy.com

Come visit us and introduce yourself

Fen
11-03-2002, 10:03 PM
Thank You!

It's a very nice website! I will add it to my links in my site!

Amitoufo
~Jaosn

cha kuen
11-04-2002, 07:54 PM
Wow I didn't know that there were that many mantis schools in the LA area. Next time I"m in town, I'd like to come visit.

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&)

tzmantis
11-08-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by berry king
Hi everyone, I am looking for a preying mantis kung school in L.A., and havent been able to find one yet. I have been looking really hard all over the internet and magazines. Does anyone know of any schools in L.A.? As of now i am not looking for a particular style, i just want to get started on it. I would appreciated it if someone would tell me the difference beetween all the styles, or direct me to a book or website that does. Anyway, any help is much appreciated, thank you!

I teach in Lomita near Palos Verdes, these are just my Praying Mantis teachers are Kam Yuen, Brendan, Lee Kam Wing and Hao Xinlian Been in this school for 11 years.

[URL=http://www.shaolinlomita.com

KickingMantis
11-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Im confused, unless there is something going on that i dont know. I didnt know GM Lee Kam Wing had any other students in California. Only ones that i know of in the US is Sifu John Cheng, also a student of Master Raymond Fogg and Sifu Jeff Brufflat of San Diego.

tzmantis
11-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by KickingMantis
Im confused, unless there is something going on that i dont know. I didnt know GM Lee Kam Wing had any other students in California. Only ones that i know of in the US is Sifu John Cheng, also a student of Master Raymond Fogg and Sifu Jeff Brufflat of San Diego.

You Are right in one way kicking mantis you must not of understood it. I am certify from Master Kam Yuen and Master Hao Xinlian but I have been studying with Lee Kam Wing and Brendan Lai when they come to my school for seminars or practice with them where they live. But the loss of Brendan will be great..

KickingMantis
11-10-2002, 08:42 PM
No! i didnt misunderstand, You did say that they were your teachers.

Just because you attend a seminar or host them in your school for a seminar doesnt formally make them your teacher and to advertise such is false advertisement to students or the general public that dont know the difference.

I have attended many seminars that Grandmaster Lee Kam Wing has held all over the country doesnt make him my Sifu, the same with Master Raymond Fogg, my place is still there grandstudent, only because i have established an ongoing two fold student and teacher relationship with their student.

A student and teacher relationship is twofold. Lee Kam Wing has been in Southern California two to three times. The last person in the US that was formally given a certificate, flags and banners was Sifu J. Cheng.

Tainan Mantis
11-11-2002, 01:38 AM
tzmantis,
I think you are the first Shrfu under Kam Yuen to post here.
It would be nice if you could help our understanding.
I'm not sure if the following is correct, so...

Did he teach both 7* and TJPM?

Did he teach the 64 short strikes method?

Did he teach Small Circle Fist?
If so, where is this form from?

Have you heard that Ying Sho(hand) Stick is descended from Liang Hsuehsiang?

Thank you for your time.

MightyB
11-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Isn't Sifu John Cheng in LA? I know he's in California somewhere.

KickingMantis
11-12-2002, 04:22 PM
California Martial Arts Academy, Irvine, Ca.

LizMantis
11-13-2002, 10:52 AM
http://www.californiamartialarts.com/

LizMantis
11-13-2002, 10:53 AM
http://www.californiamartialarts.com/

hungy
11-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Hi LizMantis,

If I think you are who I think you are... I have heard many things about you. I am one of Sifu John Cheng's student and my younger kung fu brother went to the Seminar couple months back. Just wanted to say hi. We are in Southern California.... Irvine, which is in Orange County.

LizMantis
11-14-2002, 07:04 AM
Hey I am Liz and I train under Brandon Jones (sure you know)

Good to hear from you guys, How is the new school doing?

hungy
11-14-2002, 09:45 AM
The new school is doing well. We are growing but we are not where we want to be yet.

darksands
11-14-2002, 12:38 PM
That website is kinda cheesy... we gotta do something about that.

darksands
11-15-2002, 04:01 AM
Okay... heres a website I just made really fast.

http://peter.techtrio.com/kungfu

MightyB
11-15-2002, 06:55 AM
Why all the Karate pics. on that page? Were they generics purchased from stock photo place for the web?

I know Dr. Cheng does 7*. Why don't you guys put some of the pics of him and some of the Exchange guys like Sifu Fogg, Sifu Hughes, and Sifu ***an? :confused:

MightyB
11-15-2002, 06:59 AM
That's just dumb, you can't write a proper last name on this forum. Turn down the censor. Fa.gan is a name! It should have read Sifu Fa.gan in my last post (ignore the period, I had to add it to get past the censor software).

MightyB
11-15-2002, 07:12 AM
Good site Darksands, but the pictures link didn't work on my browser.

darksands
11-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Yea, sorry, the picture links dont work because I havent made that page yet. I guess Illl do that now.

hungy
11-16-2002, 08:49 PM
Hey Lizmantis.... when are you guys going to come to LA again? I heard you guys came like 2 years ago. I am sure the next time there is another seminar more of us will attend instead of just Peter.

darksands
11-17-2002, 10:35 PM
well, the pics page has more pictures. have fun lookin. heres the site again.

http://peter.techtrio.com/kungfu

LizMantis
11-18-2002, 12:54 PM
I am not sure when the next time we will head that way. I heard my Sifu say that we might come visit in March maybe.

That site looks much better than the other one, I will add that link to the KFE website.

LizMantis
11-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Is Howard still training? Did not see him in any pictures...

Also if you want to email me some of your schools students email address, we have a KFE egroups. Its still kinda slow, but starting to pick up. Its a cool way to meet some Family.

hungy
11-18-2002, 04:20 PM
there are couple pictures of howard. there is one picture that howard is locked in a chi na.... the person locking him was me. peter was taking the picture and howard and i happened to be playing hands. i believe there is another picture of howard posing with jean another one of our kung fu brothers..... maybe we should start our own message board for our own kung fu family....

LizMantis
11-19-2002, 06:53 AM
I guess i was just not looking very good.

Go to http://www.kungfuexchange.com

and click on message board

its a free one lot of pop up adds but working on building one. There are a few members active.