PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lee Fut = Shaolin Hung Hsing ?

Jabb
10-29-2002, 10:25 AM
I just heard, from an uncertain source tho, that Choy Lee Fut is also known as Shaolin Hung Hsing or Southern Shaolin. Is this true?

Fu-Pow
10-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Choy Lee Fut is ONE southern chinese style of kung fu. It draws on both nothern and southern elements. There are many other southern styles such as Hung Ga, Southern Praying Mantis, Bak Mei, Southern White Crane, Jow Ga, Choy Ga, Lau Ga, Mok Ga, Li Ga, Lung Ying, etc. These styles are generally shorter in range compared to Choy Lay Fut because they don't have the northern influence. Hung Sing can mean many things and there's a whole history behind that but there are others here more qualified to get into that....

Jabb
10-29-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow
Choy Lee Fut is ONE southern chinese style of kung fu. It draws on both nothern and southern elements. There are many other southern styles such as Hung Ga, Southern Praying Mantis, Bak Mei, Southern White Crane, Jow Ga, Choy Ga, Lau Ga, Mok Ga, Li Ga, Lung Ying, etc. These styles are generally shorter in range compared to Choy Lay Fut because they don't have the northern influence. Hung Sing can mean many things and there's a whole history behind that but there are others here more qualified to get into that....
I know theres lots of southern styles and the history of Choy Lee Fut, that Chen Hueng studied Hung Ga and Shaolin.

Could you tell me more about this Hung Hsing? Because I went to an internet site of a CLF school and it was said there that in the basic course you learn choy lee fut shaolin kung fu and the url was something like www.setokungfu.com or something :confused: and there was a text: Shaolin Hung Hsing. Please correct me since I'm a newb on kung fu and I'm only starting Choy Lee Fut in a couple of months, since the basic course starts in the end of january (can't wait :( )

dutch
10-29-2002, 07:32 PM
Hi Jabb,

On Master Seto's website it says Choy Lee Fut Shaolin Kung Fu because they are just referring to the fact that Choy Lee Fut's roots are from the Shaolin. There are people out in the world who do not know about or heard of Choy Lee Fut as a style, but a large percentage of those people would recognize "Shaolin Kung Fu."

As far as the "Hung Hsing," it is just the reference of what branch of Choy Lee Fut they are representing, just like many of the other "Hung Sing" schools. "Sing" and "Hsing" are the same thing...its a matter of dialect.

Hope this helps!

Jabb
10-30-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by dutch
Hi Jabb,

On Master Seto's website it says Choy Lee Fut Shaolin Kung Fu because they are just referring to the fact that Choy Lee Fut's roots are from the Shaolin. There are people out in the world who do not know about or heard of Choy Lee Fut as a style, but a large percentage of those people would recognize "Shaolin Kung Fu."

As far as the "Hung Hsing," it is just the reference of what branch of Choy Lee Fut they are representing, just like many of the other "Hung Sing" schools. "Sing" and "Hsing" are the same thing...its a matter of dialect.

Hope this helps!
I knew the "Sing" and "Hsing", that dialect matter, but thanks for clearing some things out :)

mysteri
11-04-2002, 12:16 PM
when new people inquire about our system, my teacher also replies that we teach a blend and northern and southern shaolin kung fu b/c it's more recognizable that to say,"it's a blend of hung ga, choy ga, and bak sil lum". to be honest, when u say shaolin people become interested automatically and its a good way to introduce people to ur system. jus my two cents..