PDA

View Full Version : Can't We Just Get Along CLF?

Diu Sao
10-29-2002, 05:05 PM
Instead of constantly bickering and fighting can't we CLF people just get along? Think of how much knowledge and insight we could pass along to each other if we stopped having futile lineage arguements. Every once and a while we put the guns down and have intellectual conversations about techniques and philosophy. Why can't we put our branch differences aside and learn from each other? I realize this opens me up to a onslaught of angry retorts but I think it's worth mentioning. :)

Diu "Rodney King" Sao

Fu-Pow
10-29-2002, 06:05 PM
WE can. Just put those offenders on your ignore list. Then the rest of us can get on with some good technical or even historical discussions. It's really simple, just click on the offenders profile button at the bottom of their post. Their are two options at the bottom of their profile. One says "add to ignore list" the other says "add to buddy list." Just click "add to ignore list" and BAM, they're instantly added to your ignore list. No more political bickering, no more wild threats, inflammatory comments, no more back biting.

Trust me. This is much more effective than posts like this which ask people to get along. This just invites arguments.Some people just don't know how to get along. They missed that day at kindergarten. Why argue? Why waste your time? You'll get nothing out of it but a god**** headache.

Ciao

P.S.

Here's my current list. This might give you a head start on the trolls.

Ralek
Ego_Extroinaire
No_Know
Shooter
irie215
Hideous
HuangKaiVun
Azreal
Serpent
k-no
yik-wak-tik

Serpent
10-29-2002, 08:41 PM
Sure Fu-Pow, ignore me if you like, you king**** son of a *****, but don't you dare call me a troll!

What makes Fu Pow think that the people on his ignore list care what he thinks of them? The boy really needs to reign in his ego.

Shame he won't read this!

;) :D

Diu Sao
10-29-2002, 09:54 PM
Orale

Serpent
10-29-2002, 10:07 PM
Say what?

Diu Sao
10-29-2002, 10:51 PM
Orale-(Oh-Rah-Lay)- Spanish slang word or 'Spanglish' for 'Groovy'. A common word among Los Angeles Barrio(Neighborhood, or 'hood) dwellers.

The hispanic causin panic

Diu Sao

Serpent
10-29-2002, 10:53 PM
With you.

extrajoseph
10-30-2002, 10:19 AM
Look on the brighter side, you are not on Liloong's ignore list, so HE can still read you and I bet he does!:D

JoX

extrajoseph
10-30-2002, 10:37 AM
In my profile there is a hidden third option and it says "add to laugh list". I find it very useful in getting along with my fellow CLF brothers of lesser intellectual order when it comes to discussions of historical, philiosophical, technical and cultural significance. My current list is very short: k-no and lik-mik-dik:D

JoX

firepalm
10-30-2002, 12:00 PM
Ba hahahahahhahahha.........
Did I say that out loud?

Seriously though there is a long established CLF club here in my town and half of the senior guys that now teach hardly get along. Something about certain styles that seems to foster in house rivalry.;)

Fu-Pow
10-30-2002, 12:13 PM
Look on the brighter side, you are not on Liloong's ignore list, so HE can still read you and I bet he does!

Nope. Liloong died in a tragic fire accident. Rumor has ii he lit his own tail on fire. We will all miss his genuine wit, abstract intelligence and flare for the dramatic.

Cody
10-30-2002, 02:29 PM
In answer: Because they don't want to.

"..... just get along." The word "just" makes light of problems. I understand how this can happen, when something that is extemely important to someone else in a certain way is not as important to you, or you see other options.

Recently, there was a short, but interesting discussion on the main forum. I'm taking a concept very much out of context, but it can refer as well to conflicts that resist resolution. "...the person or mind in question is in some way attached to some other outcome."
(yenhoi, from MA related!!! Intent)

Where the situation is one in which the aim is not to come to agreement via compromise, the outcome to which the proponents of the rivaling groups are "attached" is paramount.
Whether this occurs due to uncovering of the truth, politics, different versions of the "truth," or any combination thereof, the aim is in the claim and the acceptance of that claim leads to a victory, as in a war. Questions of authenticity arise. There is the winning. There is the truth. They might coincide. They might not. The attachment might be to one or to both.

In this sort of martial arts environment, the concept of just getting along is not working and wouldn't unless all the elders could come together in total honesty (including honesty about what is not known and full disclosure), and openly decide one way or the other, OR, to let each group go its way without loss of status, without loss of anything. because respect would be paid to all. It is my understanding that such a thing could theoretically happen. If I am incorrect, please excuse.

This can be seen to be another version of just getting along; yet, it would be one sanctioned. Is it possible? Is it right? The "known" truth of the matter determines the latter. In my view, for the immediate future, honesty and low-keyed humility are the best way to go. This is spoken from behind a keyboard. Practically speaking, with highly competitive, aggressive, and possibly deceptive aspects operating in a complex social structure, I am at a loss.

Cody

Fu-Pow
10-30-2002, 02:40 PM
actually I'm gonna quit clf. i've had enough of the politics. maybe i'll switch over to jiu jitsu or karate.

yutyeesam
10-30-2002, 04:34 PM
i hope you're joking fu-pow.

JAZA
10-30-2002, 04:38 PM
The main problem is that this politics will kill the style.

yutyeesam
10-30-2002, 04:54 PM
Cody,
Well said. Any type of organization surrounding religion, politics, schools of thought/discipline, culture, whatever... tend to have bitter politics.
I would not be surprised if there are rival taoist groups that have a history of internal politics! Okay, that might be a stretch.

So it seems that this infighting is the natural way....if its not about lineage, it'll be about something else.

Serpent
10-30-2002, 05:12 PM
And so what? If you're happy with your style and you enjoy what you learn, why let what anybody else thinks bother you?

If politics bothers you that much then I would suggest that there is a deeper insecurity going on.

I would love to see everybody getting along, but if it doesn't happen, so be it.

extrajoseph
10-30-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Cody
In answer: Because they don't want to.

In this sort of martial arts environment, the concept of just getting along is not working and wouldn't unless all the elders could come together in total honesty (including honesty about what is not known and full disclosure), and openly decide one way or the other, OR, to let each group go its way without loss of status, without loss of anything. because respect would be paid to all. It is my understanding that such a thing could theoretically happen. If I am incorrect, please excuse.

Cody

The CLF elders have already decided years ago that there is only one CLF and one Founder and that is why we do not see any written words in Chinese by any representatives of any branch to say otherwise (I have done my research on this, if I am incorrect please point me to the Chinese text). This is only a discussions forum in English and anyone can say whatever they want and you know how naive us "barbarians" can be.

Take it from me, the top guys are all together on this because we have too much to loose if there are 2 founders and there is no way we can work together and have respects for each other and that is very bad for business! Some (only two really that I know and please no names) tries to test the water for whatever reasons through their students and that is all. Deep down in our hearts, we are all one big family and there is only three characters to our name and that is CAI LI FO.

Relax guys, how about some really serious discussions on the difference between San Miguel and Fosters. Personally I prefer Jingtao or Jujiang even though they are not the real article, you know only the Germen can make good beer. Nowadays you can't tell since they all have shares in each other.

Hey, a beer is a beer and CLF is CLF. Pass the bottle, Frank and here one for you Dave and Wahgor, BTW, did you find a wife in China?:cool: :D :p (I just love these smilies!)

iron_silk
10-30-2002, 06:26 PM
I thought things actually quiet down didn't they?

Besides only those who are loud with their own history and insist on thrusting and insulting others start problems. Other than that most just keep to themselves.

Perhaps deep inside we all find a little conflict interesting...who doesn't need a little fire in their belly to get the day going?

On that topic Sifu Lacey never answered my questions that I posted many months ago. Now this isn't meant to cause conflict (YES I am aware of the irony) but I just felt it's worth thinking about for fun. Considering I don't believe it's insulting to anyone.

"I took a look at Sifu Lacey's site and his interpretation of the history. There are certain things that I have noticed in the past after reading so many different stories trying to promote Cheung Hung Sing as co-founder.

1) They seem to always ignore Chan Yuen Wu involvement with Chan Hueng. Especially since it was Chan Yuen Wu that taught Chan Hueng Fut Ga Kuen.

2) Choy Fook did not teach Choy Ga Kuen. I am not sure if style of Choy Ga is around but if it is then I am sure we could get some more info from them.

3) Though not in all the cases they encourage the "Chan clan" theory even though there was documented history of students outside of this clan.

***4) When ever a style is created rarely if even at all would there be known to have more than one creator. In general when a style is created it is usually based on the belief of the one. Any more would create conflict. ***

***5) Therefore even if Ching Cho Monk exists Chan Hueng has already created his style, and therefore Choy Lay Fut. Why would Chueng Hung Sing want to get in on what his Sifu has kindly and graciously has worked so hard on? Once he is his teacher forever will he be. Never would Cheung Hung Sing be willing to accept a Co-founding title. Each would have their own style then.***

6) Chan Family is documented. Compared to word of mouth is likely be more believed especially in cases where the truth is hard to be found.

7) Only the Hung Sing lineage have been publicly aggressive with their history.

I am not saying what is true or not since it isn't possible. But like Fu-pow has said here (or else where) much belief must be suspended in order to accept the co-founder theory.

My points from 1 to 5 ties into a belief that Chan Yuen Wu is ignored in order to make room for Ching Cho and Cheung Yim's connection, and is assuming he is willing to take co-founder credit.

Thanks for reading!"

Good Luck!

Stacey
10-30-2002, 06:59 PM
start hating on the wing chun guys and getting into intra school gang fights.

That will fix everything

iron_silk
10-30-2002, 08:36 PM
Don't get fooled by Stacey's slithering words of persuasion! :eek:

Just kidding~! :D

Fu-Pow
10-31-2002, 11:15 AM
start hating on the wing chun guys and getting into intra school gang fights.

That's the best idea I've heard so far. In fact I'm gonna start hating on anyone that isn't me or my Sifu. Actually I'm even gonna hate on my Sifu because I'm secretly jealous of him cause he's better than me...once again just kidding

ZIM
10-31-2002, 11:38 AM
"The reason [school] politics are so vicious is because the stakes are so small."
-Henry Kissinger :p

Same old same old...

Cody
10-31-2002, 03:24 PM
yutyeesam,
Yup, "it'll be about something else" because part of it is about something else to begin with. The details vary, but the nature of man in primal state rises up.

extrajoseph,
Your good humor is appreciated. However, I feel what is good or bad for business is the least of concerns. There are ways to correct errors without destroying human beings or any lineage(s) which have proven themselves in practice. This, in turn, leads to preservation of the business aspect.
I don't think it is a question of what there is to lose, but what is Right. True = what is known to have occurred. Right is to follow what is true.
When the skies are overcast and the air is just right, there are bolts of lightening. Significance is obscure. I wonder if there are more than two people dancing. It's more like prom night. Whatever, it's not the number of dancers that is of most importance. Even if only one.
I do not read Chinese. HG Welles, where is your time machine stored. I have a good use for it.

I don't drink alcohol, but I'll enjoy a cup of tea while reading what transpires.

Cody

Diu Sao
10-31-2002, 04:46 PM
I like the hating on Wing-Chung idea (all in good fun y'all).

Diu Sao

extrajoseph
10-31-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Cody
yutyeesam,
I don't think it is a question of what there is to lose, but what is Right. True = what is known to have occurred. Right is to follow what is true. When the skies are overcast and the air is just right, there are bolts of lightening. Significance is obscure.
Cody

Now let me remeber, the couplet goes something like this:

Loong Fu Feng Wun Hui
The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven

Tio Yi Ho Gi Wui
Teach your followers RIGHTEOUSNESS

Chong Gwon Sil Lum Sut
Revive the Shaolin Way

Sai Toi Mu Shun Wai
Let each generation uphold and enliven.

Being true and right is written into our "constitution", so you are right on Cody my brother. I am with you on this one. Let us not be blinded by falsehood and turn on each other. Let us treat this attempt to change history like a bit of hot air and postulating in a prom night by a bunch of young kids and that is all. Let us move on with a smile.

If you like tea, you should try "Dragon's Well" from Hangzhou, great stuff but whatever you do don't smoke it!

JoX :)

Cody
10-31-2002, 07:36 PM
Went into poetry. It just happened. Nice response. Thanks.

I choose to believe what I can either prove for myself or what adds up for me in the realm of belief combined with other sources.
To observe, and drink my tea in peace, maintaining a neutral stance, and thinking as I please.

I do like green tea, as well as oolong as beverages.

Cody

extrajoseph
10-31-2002, 07:54 PM
to observe and to comtemplate in silence
with a cup of fragrant tea by your side
heaven is not far away

:)