PDA

View Full Version : I guess even Shaolin Do has to diversify

African Tiger
10-29-2002, 06:07 PM
If you thought Shaolin Do(n't) was bad on it's own, here it is combined with Belly Dancing

Shaolin Dope and Belly Dancing (http://www.ohiosd.com/)

It's a Grandmaster of a Sin that The
(read between the lines, kids) ruse is allowed to continue.......:D

dezhen2001
10-29-2002, 06:12 PM
hey thats a great looking site though! :)

dawood

TaoBoy
10-29-2002, 08:53 PM
I've seen it and I still don't believe it.

Felipe Bido
10-29-2002, 09:22 PM
No...:(

SifuAbel
10-29-2002, 09:24 PM
OMG!!!

Bwahahahahahahahaha

I don't know whats funnier; the belly dancing or the "kungfu"(not).

eulerfan
10-29-2002, 09:43 PM
Where I study shaolin-do(n't), as you call it, has that beat.

$40/mo.

You get:

Shaolin do
Karate
Boxing
Tai chi
Pilates
Yoga(hatha and ashtanga)
Step Aerobics
and various aerobic classes

Awesome weight room
an inside running track and one on the roof
Olympic sized swimming pool
Saunas
Steam rooms
Basketball
volleyball

There's round robin squash during lunch and day care in the summer.

Beat that, ya ****ed purists! :D

Serpent
10-29-2002, 10:02 PM
Bloody hell!

Do you get fries with that?

wushu chik
10-30-2002, 02:41 AM
No kidding...that's quite a lot...and how long are your classes, and PLEASE tell me that you don't do all those in the same class??

~Wen~

jon
10-30-2002, 04:23 AM
eulerfan

I have a nasty feeling you may have just walked into a minefield:(
I hope you have your flame retardent clothing handy?

In all seriousness ive enjoyed reading some of your posts lately and i really hope this thread doesnt go the way i have a bad feeling it may. Sadly often on this forum a practioners choosen art is taken much more seriously than there actual training content.

Can we *possibly* avoid another Shaolin Do arguement?

I have a nasty feeling we are about to find out:rolleyes:

Radhnoti
10-30-2002, 07:00 AM
You should have more faith in people jon. :D

eulerfan
10-30-2002, 09:06 AM
jon,

When I first came here I searched "Shaolin Do". So, I was well aware of the feeling here about it. I don't really care. I don't know enough about any other systems to argue about it and it's not really practical for me to go find out.

I don't plan to enter a UFC championship or ever fight another MAist. I don't think shaolin do is SO very mcdojo that I wouldn't be able to react cleanly enough in the first few seconds of an attack to garner an opportunity to run.

And that's the skill I want. That's all I care about.

Everybody else's kwoon could be a million times better than mine. I don't care. For me, this is a VERY sweet set up.

So, not only will I not argue, I will also say to everybody, make fun of Shaolin Do all you want. I may show up and poke you back but there's a smile on my face when I do it. I swear.

eulerfan
10-30-2002, 09:10 AM
That was really awesome that you were concerned, though. Thank you. It made me feel good.

ewallace
10-30-2002, 09:13 AM
Can you just pay the $40 and use the pool ,weight room and other facilities and skip the SD classes?:)

eulerfan
10-30-2002, 09:18 AM
NO. You MUST go to SD. They keep track with computer chip they implant in your brain upon joining.

ewallace
10-30-2002, 09:25 AM
NO. You MUST go to SD. They keep track with computer chip they implant in your brain upon joining.
Why do I sense that you are not joking here?

I like that fact that you are not persuaded by most folk's negative opinions about SD. As long as you realize what it is (and isn't). Hell at least you actually get off your rear and train.

sweaty_dog
10-30-2002, 10:02 AM
The belly dancing/Shaolin place has a great facility, but

2 soft punching bags (1 full sized)
and
16 feet of mirrors
??

Qi dup
10-30-2002, 10:44 AM
you can Belly dance and Shaolin Do all you want, but you'll still be no match against the amazing Defendo! (http://www.Defendo.com) I dont remeber much from the Shaolin do thread so I'm not gonna give you crap. At least you have a school!:mad: Living in the mountains suck didly-ucks.:( :) Besides, what's the point of any of your train when there is the amazing Defendo! :)

Actually, Defendo looks fine, I just like that name, Defendo!

norther practitioner
10-30-2002, 11:17 AM
Wow, that site is funny, although, I wish I had all that stuff at my school. Watching the belly dancers I don't know how much training I would actually get in... lol
Hey eulerfan are you into polyhedrons or something?

dezhen2001
10-30-2002, 11:24 AM
eulerfan: glad u enjoy what u do :)

dont worry so much about it... heck even us guys in the wing chun forum all argue about lineage and we all train the SAME skill :D

in my experience of MA forums there are people like thta everywhere but apart form that KFo can be a cool place :)

dawood

eulerfan
10-30-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by wushu chik
No kidding...that's quite a lot...and how long are your classes, and PLEASE tell me that you don't do all those in the same class??

~Wen~

What?

No, each class is autonomous. Some overlap. SD, boxing, step aerobics and spinning classes are all offered at the same time so you have to choose.

SD is two hours class time with an open hour afterwards. Sifu also has a standing invite to give him a call on Saturday if there's something you want to work on.

Serpent
10-30-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by eulerfan
jon,

When I first came here I searched "Shaolin Do". So, I was well aware of the feeling here about it. I don't really care. I don't know enough about any other systems to argue about it and it's not really practical for me to go find out.

I don't plan to enter a UFC championship or ever fight another MAist. I don't think shaolin do is SO very mcdojo that I wouldn't be able to react cleanly enough in the first few seconds of an attack to garner an opportunity to run.

And that's the skill I want. That's all I care about.

Everybody else's kwoon could be a million times better than mine. I don't care. For me, this is a VERY sweet set up.

So, not only will I not argue, I will also say to everybody, make fun of Shaolin Do all you want. I may show up and poke you back but there's a smile on my face when I do it. I swear.

Man, no matter how I feel about Shaolin Do, I sure wish there were more people on this forum like you! What a dichotomy!

Good for you.

TaoBoy
10-30-2002, 03:31 PM
How can a martial arts venues afford to set up all that equipment? In my experience there isn't a whole lot of $$$ in teaching the martial arts.

Maybe it's just a sign of how bad the current AU$ - US$ exchange rate is? :D

I'd love access to a set-up like that...and belly-dancers...hmmm...ah maybe we should just leave it there. ;)

rubthebuddha
10-30-2002, 05:12 PM
carefult there, taoboy.

and no, the economy in the states isn't good enough for her school to be the norm. not anywhere near good enough. not sure how her school does it. maybe it sells children on the black market?

:eek:

:D

Serpent
10-30-2002, 05:16 PM
rtb, your new avatar is freaking me out.

Shadow Dragon
10-30-2002, 05:20 PM
Eulerfan.

I agree with you.

It is better to train than not do.

Also seen many MA start at a Kwoon of a famous Sifu and than start to slack off, thinking that the good Sifu will compensate for their lackluster attitude.

The important is thing is training and improving your skill, not with who and where you study.

Cheers.

Budokan
10-30-2002, 05:57 PM
I was talking to an English girl today and she said belly dancing was now a big craze in the UK. Is that true?

dezhen2001
10-30-2002, 06:04 PM
really? here in the UK? where? lol
not where i live, no nice gals with nice bellies around here :(

dawood

TaoBoy
10-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Nice post - Shadow Dragon.

African Tiger
10-30-2002, 07:16 PM
Why on earth would a legit CMA school need to add Pilates, state-of-the-art workout gear, step aerobics, pool, sauna, etc?

Wouldn't all the time spent on the ancillaries take away from the time you should be training in your art? And where the art came from, WHY the art works, and it's limitations (like its Grandmaster perhaps? :p )?

Pure is always best, baby. Orange Juice is fine by itself, but when you add sugar and filtered water, et al, you take away all the goodness and you're left with Sunny Delight. Great for kids, horrible for adults. :D

And now the master of analogy shall leave the building :p

eulerfan
10-30-2002, 07:51 PM
SORRY!!!!!!!

I was messing around. I figured ya'll would pick up on this. This isn't a Martial Arts school. This is a YMCA.

My sifu is a D.A. A third deg bb, he teaches in his spare time. Because he loves it. We have about ten regulars.

My Tai Chi instructor works for Exxon. He's been practicing for ten years. Won a few awards. We have about seven regulars.

I was wondering why Wendy asked such a weird question. No, it is not a CMA school. It's a gym.

Serpent
10-30-2002, 07:53 PM
:D :p :D

rubthebuddha
10-30-2002, 10:56 PM
we all had this coming, didn't we?

jon
10-31-2002, 12:00 AM
Radhnoti

"You should have more faith in people jon."
* lol *should* being the opperative word here, im a cynic though and though when it comes down to it.
Still seems to be going pretty spiffy so far really, maybe my fears where unfounded after all - nah :)

eulerfan
"So, not only will I not argue, I will also say to everybody, make fun of Shaolin Do all you want. I may show up and poke you back but there's a smile on my face when I do it. I swear"
* Oh my gawd...
Im really not sure you belong here, your *way* to level headed for this forum.
Im really glad you dont take this all to seriously, i study Tai Chi for combat and trust me when i say i cant really be bothered trying to defend myself against ignorence either. Still its also very refreshing to see that you can take a stab in good humour.
I used to get angry at all the little school kids that would mimic me when i practice ( i train in a public Chinese gardens). Now i think its kind of cool that i can inspire them to try and imitate me in the first place :) Life is a silly little thing really, no point in being to precious.

"That was really awesome that you were concerned, though. Thank you. It made me feel good."
* You are most welcome :)
As i stated before your posts have been a breath of fresh air in this forum.
I also read your rebutals to Kungfufools which i thought where superb.
Ive taken part in pleanty of style vs style bashing in my time so im certainly no innocent. I guess ive just about come full circle now and am kind of getting over it.

Ive seen karate classes that where hard nosed and had some TOUGH people in them. Ive seen karate classes with nothing but a bunch of fairys pretending there Bruce Lee.
The name of the art means very little to me anymore but the way in which a practioner trains and for what reason says it all.
I wont lie to you i dont really buy into Shaolin Do as a *Shaolin* kung fu system but that doesnt mean i dont respect the fact that someone go's out and trains hard for hours on end. To me the name of the game is actual content not simply the name. We are told for years not to judge a book by the cover but the second someone says they study BJJ we all assume they must be invicible.

lol over the years ive beaten on and been beaten by exponents of karate, tae kwon do, judo, kickboxing, thai boxing, bjj, kung fu...
Hard training is hard training and it pays its own way. No point trying to say its all hopeless becouse the name on the front of the gym says Shaolin Do.

I think ive ranted enough in this thread but i kinda wanted to let that out as its been bothering me for a while. Its something ive done subconciously for years and ive about had enough of my own ignorence.

Sheesh that should rank among my worst posts ever:rolleyes: I must be shooting for some award:(

eulerfan
10-31-2002, 08:56 AM
Taking 'it's not the art, it's what you do with it' for granted, let me point something about about our lineage.

If you read about shaolin do, you'll see a history of lying about the school to get students to join. This is one of the first pieces of information they give you. Think about that for a minute. This tells you quite clearly not to trust the lineage or the stories. This is sort of an open secret. There is a huge difference between the people who are clued in and the people who aren't.

I can walk into any shaolin do in the country, talk to the black belts and tell you which ones to respect and which ones to ignore.

I don't have to see them spar to tell you which ones will be all about power and intimidation(easy to just tire out) and which ones will keep you on your toes and come up with some harrowing situations for you to get out of.

All of this from whether or not they talk about the lineage and it's incredibly reliable. And this school is all I know about MAs. So, when people on this board criticise the dubious lineage, I can't help but wonder if the same applies to people in other systems.

If a similar correlation exists. I mean, in this system, you have to be particularly dense to get too excited about the lineage. So, I guess maybe not.

I'd still be interested to see.

sean_stonehart
10-31-2002, 10:13 AM
check PM please...