PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Cardio?

Hau Tien
10-29-2002, 06:35 PM
During the spring, summer, and a bit into the fall, Lisa and I are able to run stairs at the kwoon we train at... but during the winter, it is far too cold to do so (IE: -30C cold).

Anyone here have any suggestions for a cardio type activity we could do indoors, with minimal room and little to no equipment? We have weights right now (barbell, dumbbells, and weight plates), so that is an option.

One thing we've tried so far is a rather aggressive squat program, but I found that while it worked my legs extremely well, it didn't provide quite the same sort of cardiovascular activity as running stairs does.

Anyway... any suggestions are welcome...

Kempo Guy
10-29-2002, 07:16 PM
If you have access to dumbells, I would suggest doing hi-rep dumbell swings and snatches for cardio type training. You can find information on how to do db swings here. (http://www.trainforstrength.com/ex-4.shtml)
If you do a search on Kettlebell or snatches on this forum you will find links to other sites that describe these exercises as well.

If you have enough clearance, I'd suggest jumping/skipping rope as well.

Good training!
KG

rubthebuddha
10-30-2002, 12:44 AM
find yourself a heavy bag and beat the snot out of it.

Souljah
10-30-2002, 06:35 AM
lol..... i think KG made kettlebells.....:D , You can catch him endorsing them on almost every fitness related thread.....:D

(not saying theyr not any good:) )

I like with the skiiping tho

Hau Tien
10-30-2002, 09:03 AM
KG:
Gave swings a shot last night... nice workout, for sure. I'll be continuing them, and we'll see how it goes.

rub:
Got us a heavy bag here... not sure why I didn't think to do that for cardio... Anyway... I'll definitely be adding that in as well...

Soul:
Skipping isn't an option for me. Not enough clearance in the house for it, unfortunately.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Suntzu
10-30-2002, 09:21 AM
skipping isn't an option for me either… but what I find work is going thru the motions with a light weight in my hands… like a loadable DB handle or something… in between 'rounds' kill the bag or do some BW exercise that seems to be all the rage on this board lately... or u can do a 'round' of swings... followed by bag work... do your forms real fast followed by bag work... or bag work followed by BWE... or, well u get my point...

Qi dup
10-30-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Suntzu
or u can do a round of swing...

I like the fast forms idea, but what is a 'round of swing'?

Suntzu
10-30-2002, 10:03 AM
the KB (or DB depending on what u have) swings that was discussed earlier…

Qi dup
10-30-2002, 02:38 PM
oh ok, sorry about that.

Dedication
10-30-2002, 03:30 PM
If you are a northern stylist, just practice the forms rigourously! i personally hate forms so i jump rope and hit the bag.

Souljah
10-31-2002, 03:52 AM
if he doesnt have enough clearance for skipping, then its likely that forms are out of the question.

erm, running on the spot?

philly
10-31-2002, 06:15 AM
how about these :
burpees (http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~aelliott/escrima/art_prison.html)

Hau Tien
10-31-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by philly
how about these :
burpees (http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~aelliott/escrima/art_prison.html)

I remember doing these in grade school... sadistic gym teacher... heheh...

Actually... the reason I can't skip is simply the overhead clearance. I'm about 6'2", and when I reach up, my hands are just about touching the ceilings in here. When I do my weight lifting, I often have to do so from a horse stance so that I don't smash lights/the ceiling with the weights. Unfortunately, that limits me in regards to adding the jump at the end.

If I remember them properly, they were a killer workout, though.

Thanks philly!:)

Suntzu
10-31-2002, 10:27 AM
there is a variation where u go down and "run in place" while u are down and than just come back up… no jumping…

rubthebuddha
10-31-2002, 11:08 AM
don't forget the tried-and-true classic:

jumping jacks.

:mad: ****, i hated those things.

ElPietro
11-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Can you not simply warmup a bit inside doing jumping jacks or whatever and then go outside and run as you normally do? If you have a sweatshirt on and a beanie or some other hat you should keep your body temperature at an acceptable level, especially while you are running.

Suntzu
11-04-2002, 10:33 AM
I for one hate running, period… and sper-duper double hate it when it is cold… and if I had the equipment I would set up a circuit of bag work, BWE's weights… but I don’t have the equipment so I'll either have to spend some $$$ or go and brave the cold... my dad did just buy a treadmill so that might work... but either way, i HATE running...

SevenStar
11-04-2002, 12:17 PM
I too hate running - I'm glad I'm not alone

Bagwork
Jumping Rope
Shadowboxing
Forms

those alone should serve you pretty well. There are also various calesthenics you can do.

Xebsball
11-04-2002, 02:44 PM
One thing i can think of is doing what we call "polichinelos" (translated to english its punchinello :confused: )
I find them more tiring and harder on your breathing than jumping rope.
You would probably hit the ceiling with this though, since you raise your hands while doing the excercise.