PDA

View Full Version : "easy MA" and "intent"

iron thread
10-29-2002, 09:54 PM
When people search for easy/simple martial arts, does this affect the intent? Seeing that they are looking for something "simple" or "simpler" would it be that the practitioner--or future practitioner-- is lazy or taking the easier way out, thereby losing the intent in training?

TaoBoy
10-29-2002, 10:18 PM
There's no such thing as an easy martial art. If someone is looking for it - they will be disappointed. And to answer your question: yes it does affect the intent - the intent is not there!

iron thread
10-29-2002, 11:01 PM
i don't believe in an easy martial art either, but to my understanding (even though limited), there are people who search for it.

SevenStar
10-30-2002, 12:38 AM
alot of people want something for nothing. Those people will be the ones that quit when they see it's harder than they expected.

rubthebuddha
10-30-2002, 12:50 AM
and all that jumping from roof to roof à la once upon a time in china requires a LOT of leg strength, which takes years to develop.

or worse yet, to most beginners, one of the most important things they can have is a good stance, and that requires years to get real good at.

imagine, years of practice just to know how to stand. who'dathunkit?

jon
10-30-2002, 12:53 AM
Depends on the goal i would think.
I mean what if you need to teach a military group or a personal security firm in a short space of time?

I honestly believe its not *that* hard to teach someone something 'simple' and 'easy' to pick up and use strait away.
However i would be under no delusions that it would still be fairly basic skills.

On the other hand i find the notion of a whole art form being *easy* to be slightly preposturous. Its always been my experience that nothing truely good in life comes *easy*. Usualy its paid for in full if you catch my meaning.

So i guess the *intent* really depends on what your trying to get out of your training.
If what you want is to defend yourself in the shortest amount of time possible then why shouldnt you be allowed to seek *easy* answers?
Not everyone has the time or want to put in that much energy into something they only see as a means to an end.

On the flip side if someone seeks some kind of magical *pill* that makes them invincible then i doubt there heart is truely in the right place to begin with.
There are pleanty of mcdojos around to cater for types like this.

jon
10-30-2002, 12:56 AM
"all that jumping from roof to roof à la once upon a time in china requires a LOT of leg strength, which takes years to develop."
* I was always under the impression that usualy wirework was used when people started flying around on rooftops.
I guess my stancework needs more practice:p

yeah yeah i know that wasnt what you where saying but i just couldnt resist :D

ZIM
10-30-2002, 10:25 AM
A magical pill that turns u invincible? plenty of those!

PCP, etc- "[panic] i can't breathe- but I CAN FLY & KILL!!!!" :D:eek: talk about wires !

Lots of morons on the subways think so anyway

If its EZ and no real intent to learn it well, its not an art but a technique or skill. maybe. Like swinging a billyclub, it could be an art, if done with right mindfulness, i guess

apoweyn
10-30-2002, 10:35 AM
depends. i can't imagine that most people enter into martial arts fully understanding how much work it'll be. when they figure it out, that sense of true intent either develops or fades completely.

honestly, did you really join up thinking, "hooray, years of back-breaking labour!" i didn't. but once i got into it, my intent developed as i went. for others, it doesn't.

stuart b.