PDA

View Full Version : Vagabond Kungfu

Node
02-22-2000, 03:07 AM
Has anyone heard of vagabond kungfu, you know those street martial artists, that perform, trickery, magic, and different feats, can someone explain what kinds of things they do, and just more on the topic in general.

thanks

Brat
02-22-2000, 08:34 AM
Goto www.amazon.com. (http://www.amazon.com.) Do the book search either with the title "Skills of the Vagabonds", or by the author Leung Ting. This is the only book I've ever seen on the subject. Don't know a whole lot more than that. Looks like from the description though, it seems to delve into the more alchemical, mystical aspects of the martial arts. Looks as if there is a lot of interesting historical data as well. I might order a copy myself.

illusionfist
02-22-2000, 09:01 AM
i have that book. it deals more with the trickery that is done by mou shan priests and the like. It really doesn't have much to do with the style. It illustrates some points that say that vagabond kung fu is the possible root of ninjutsu. I stopped reading it a while back, i got bored of it. But that does not mean it's not an interesting read. I just wasnt in the mood to read it at that time. Leung Ting's books overall are pretty good. I'd have to say that his wing chun
books are good (once you get past the self promotion stuff). Although towards the end of the book, there is a section on fighting techniques that are used in the style. I never really analyzed them though

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by illusionfist (edited 02-22-2000).]

Sam
02-23-2000, 08:31 PM
Vagabond Kung Fu is mentioned by James Cama Sifu's site www.buddhapalm.com (http://www.buddhapalm.com) He makes the association of Vagabond and Fut Sao Wing Chun.

Turiyan
02-27-2000, 02:34 AM
I wonder if this is the same guy that wrote the aformentioned article? I read that article too. Thought i'd post this. What follows will be a cut and paste of something on vagabond style. LT was just putting up an affront to the real "mystical" skills that exist as part of the training.

Matter of fact, I may work on my shen da page today. REAL spiritual kung fu.
---------------------------------------------
Subject: Wing Chun Today Plagarism!!!!!!!!!!
Date: 12 Feb 1998 00:00:00 GMT

I have just received a complimentary issue of Wing Chun Today and I was very
upset when I read an article that was written on Fut Sau in there. Why?
Because the author, plagarized from Henry Leung's original book and did not
even bother to mention that he was using Master Leung's information. Much of
it was word for word. It was passed off as his own.

The good part about it is that it gave some accurate information which is
probably because he did spit out word for word what Henry Leung wrote. But,
let me clarify just a couple of the errors.

First, there is no fan form!!!! Henry has shown some techniques, but he is
still presently working on a set form.

Secondly, The same goes for the beads...there is no set form.

Third, The 18 point striking form does not exist in Henry's School. It is a
derivitve of Southern Mantis and it is Santo's own creation.

Lastly, let me take the mystical idea of a special formula that you drink at
the end of each level. I don't know if the author meant to imply this, but it
is not a mystical thing that gives you a special power or anything of the sort.
It is just an herbal formula that I have sitting here in my house fermenting.

Please, let us not add to what Master Leung teaches. When you do, say you
are. Don't lead your readers to think something that is not true. That is
irresponsible journalism in the least.

CK

Turiyan
02-27-2000, 02:57 AM
Request archive KUNGFU.1996-04 19/20 from the kung fu list for sal's "historical" description of vagabond kung fu.

dragonfist
02-27-2000, 04:12 AM
rarara, you are young fool node, you know nothing of the martial arts, rarara.

WildMan_Riot
03-21-2000, 01:34 PM
Vagabond KF is all about the art begging! As a vegabond you learn to beg for money, beg for mercy, beg for this, beg for that. Put it this way, if the KF practitioner is any good why would be be a vegabond.

Oh yeah the Chinese army had a legeon of vegabonds that will are experts at charging up to the enemy and begging for mercy. LOL
To think that self respecting KF practitioners would bring up the topic of Vegabond KF on this forum. Ha!

Sam
03-25-2000, 04:58 AM
It is not an art of begging, but it is an art of stealth and invisibility.

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited 03-26-2000).]

WildMan_Riot
03-25-2000, 05:32 PM
Sam

Tell me,what would make a vagabond go invisible. Sure you may not see them, but you just have to follow that bad smell or the flies to know where they are.

When you do find a vagabond (that hasn't gone invisible yet). Please be kind hearted and give him some money to go on his way. If his KF was any good he probably won't be homeless and would be the head of security for some top shot rich guy.

Tell me Sam, from your experience, are homeless people renowned for their fighting abilities? They may be renowned for their BEGGING abilities though. LOL

Paul Skrypichayko
04-12-2000, 01:06 PM
If they were so good at begging, wouldn't they retire, or open a begging school?
hehehe

Actually, I've heard of a few masters in Hong Kong that were hard up for money, so they would show some skills that nobody had seen in a while, and make some cash to help them get by.

My interpretation is more like busking, less like begging. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

WildMan_Riot
04-12-2000, 06:30 PM
Hi there
Making money by putting on a good show is a mastery in itself. And I reckon that a what a WWF wrestler earns in one nite is more than an average KF instructor in a life time. But vagabonds they aint.

One must be pretty bad to end up a vegabond. Even with bad KF I'm sure you can rob a few old ladies or steal a lolly or two from a baby. Who will want to lean from a KF "master' who has to resort to begging talk about the lost of self respect LOL What you think?

Lost_Disciple
04-12-2000, 06:46 PM
I disagree with you on 2 points.
1- what makes you think WWF wrestlers make that much money? Only very recently have more than 1 or 2 wrestlers in a particular promotion made more than 1 million a year. Even today there are still many wrestlers who make under 6 digits.
2- What makes you think a sifu could go around robbing people? Sifus had high ethical standards that they must live up to in order to hold and gain new students. Sifus had to rely on gifts, money from relatives, military teaching posts, and money from students. A good sifu couldn't always go out and get a 9 to 5 job; especially if they wanted to stay on top of their art. It's a lot more honorable to become a vagabond than a thief; and a lot less likely to land you in jail.

yumyang
04-13-2000, 12:45 AM
I do not no what a wresler makes. But i think its better then begging for money if you have to beg you should get a job and work for your money. people like to think these bums had good kung fu cause they dont hear much from them. if they do not hear much maybe cause there is not much to talk about. some sifos dont work but ther student take care of them. this is ok. it better then begging. i think much of this kind of kung fu is talk. i think most is just story. if people were around like them and they had good kung fu i think you find out they just learn normal stuff but not belong to any group. but i think there start and there kung fu was from group. nothing speical.

yumyang

illusionfist
04-13-2000, 03:29 AM
Wildman riot- check out the books Skills of the Vagabonds and Behind the Incredibles. They both deal with vagabond kung fu (the first book primarily, while the second deals with qigong fakery and stuff like that). Maybe you will see what we are talking about.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WildMan_Riot
04-14-2000, 03:34 PM
Yeah I've read the book on Vegaonds and it's a bit of a laugh actually. Vagabond KF is just a story to amuse little kids. How many homeless people who are begging for $$ are also KF experts? Perhaps you can spend a night at a shelter for homeless people and learn some secret art of KF. Oh. do bring along some loose change though. You might need it. LOL

diego
04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
How could Wanderers be such a **** art if it is one of the main influences on Bak Mei along with Lung ying and pole and kicking from Li style?.

iron_silk
04-15-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=64

This 1997 issue of KungfuMagazine has an article on Begger's Style.

This also happens to be the first kung fu magazine I ever purchased.

David Jamieson
04-15-2010, 12:37 PM
wow, took you guys ten years to answer the dude.

way to go.

:D

4 Dragons
04-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Vincent Lyn once claimed that the Vagabond style is really Ling Gar...

http://www.vincentlyn.com/linggar_history.html

He was a student of Peter Robinson around 74/75

iron_silk
04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
wow, took you guys ten years to answer the dude.

way to go.

:D

I waited 10 years for Gene to finally get the hint.

Needless to say...I could wait no longer...