PDA

View Full Version : Ignore lists?

jon
10-29-2002, 11:45 PM
This is a silly subject steming from my own curriousity (knowing full well the fate of poor kitty), i found someone in another thread mentioning the people on there ignore list and what a wonderfull tool it was.

I personaly dont have *anyone* on my ignore list and to be frank i find the prospect of putting someone on it slightly silly. I can understand the logic in not replying to inflamatory remarks but i cant understand the logic behind simply turning a blind eye.

Anyway reason im posting is i was hoping some others might state there opinions on this feature and if they use it?
Perhaps even drop the names of those you choose to ignore. I mean heck you wont read there rebutal so who cares right?

So what are peoples opinions on the ignore list?
Is *ignorence* something we should be striving for at all?
Can problems be solved by simply not listening to another partys view?
Why is there no 'send virus' button instead?

Im all confused:confused:

dezhen2001
10-30-2002, 12:11 AM
hi jon,

personally i don't have anyone on my ignore list... imo that makes the threads less cohesive and probably even more confusing :D

sometimes it IS annoying when people post crap, but unless it gets TOO frequent i have no problem... the usless o/T cr@p posted here is usually what is interesting :p

dawood

rubthebuddha
10-30-2002, 12:12 AM
ralek's the sole person on my ignore list, for one reason -- his intentions here run entirely contrary to my goals on this forum: learn from others, maybe impart a bit of wisdom, share my thoughts and have some fun. the closest one is the last, but i don't enjoy his banter like some others do. this forum has trolls who still can be fun, but i find no joy, much less value, in his antics.

that's just me. an ignore list is individual, same as a buddy list. wendy is the sole person on my buddy list, mainly because she's one of my best friends. again, that's individual to just me. your lack of names on your ignore list is individual to you, too. :)

vingtsunstudent
10-30-2002, 01:42 AM
buddy list is great
i loving adding fwits to it, that way when i have spare time and feel like a laugh(and a stir) you can go and see what absolute dribble your favourite internet warrior is raving on with now.( i see it as my online comic book, just without the pictures)
my personal fav. at the moment is walter joyce over on the internal forum, now heres a guy that list his occupation as a lawyer, has 5 years internal experience(20 years all up) and feels he can quite cofidently say that erle montague with close to 30 doesn't even do tai chi.
his reason for such a statement, well he hasn't really given one but don't you worry, he's got opinions and you better believe he loves to preach them. the only problem with walter is that if you disagree with him, he like to take his bat and ball and add you to his ignore list, and that's after calling you names for not agreeing with him or having the hide to ask for reasons as to why he feels he's skilled enough to make such claims - now there's a lawyer with great arguementative skills, glad he's not representing me.
i may be just odd(which i am) but i love these people and every chance i get i like to throw $hit back at them, without the help of my buddy list i would actually have to go looking for them, now wheres the fun in that.
as to the ignore list, well the only people i don't like hearing from are the wing chun moderators when there *****ing about how i say things and that the people there are so sensitve as to not realise that they're only words.
you know the old saying 'sticks and stones may break my bones'
well it's a forum and there's always gonna be something you don't like, if you want just pass it by and enjoy the rest.
vts

Radhnoti
10-30-2002, 07:25 AM
I don't have anyone on my ignore list...let me get that out of the way first. However, I've been SO close to adding people in the past. Who? No_Know and diego. I just can't understand they're writing without SERIOUS effort, and I end up just skimming over whatever they say or skipping it entirely. Which is a SHAME because when I decide to go over what they've written (it usually takes me about 3 times as long as reading a "normal" post) it's usually pretty good. But, typically, I don't read what they write...it's just too confusing.

KC Elbows
10-30-2002, 07:31 AM
I've been here too long. I can understand Diego and No_Know on the first reading.

I don't use the ignore option. First of all, when you make posts titled "Public Service: The Day I Discovered I Have a *****", putting others on ignore is like throwing really big rocks in really small glass houses. Plus, it's far more gratifying to consciously ignore someone.

KC Elbows
10-30-2002, 08:32 AM
That's a very cool philosophy, guohuen.

Xebsball
10-30-2002, 09:35 AM
I used to have Ralek on my ignore list, but then i took him off, since hes harmless, his troll game is praticly gone, outdated.
On my buddy list i have like 12 people or something.

Cody
10-30-2002, 09:49 AM
Only two people on mine. One I don't remember why, and haven't seen person around. The other was personally insulting and overly impressed with himself, also engaging in threatening, verbal attacks on another person here. He crossed a line. He doesn't seem to be around either.

So, that's about it. I don't mind if a person has unpopular views of a person or idea or way of life. I have plenty of those myself. It's hard to know when to speak up, but I won't put a person on an ignore list cause he does.

How're you doing, jon?

Cody

jon
10-31-2002, 12:31 AM
David
Firstly i hope your well and taking care of yourself.
I know what you mean about the offtopic stuff, i also know what you mean about adding to the confusion. People would be answering to posts you had not even seen:eek:
Maybe its just me but i hate the feeling that im blinding myself to something intensionaly.

rubthebuddha
"that's individual to just me. your lack of names on your ignore list is individual to you, too."
* You make a good point here RTB... I did not mean to make it sound as though i thought that people who used there ignore lists where somehow wrong. I just wanted to try and get an idea of exactly why people would use it and under what circumstances.

vingtsunstudent
lol i had never even thought of doing that. Im not sure i would ever get to sleep. I already spend most of my available free time stuffing about here. Let alone going dedicated troll hunting.
Still i always love reading your posts so please keep on keeping on and ill keep laughing my butt off :)
Now hurry up and get your flailing wing chun limbs down here and give me a beating. That or when im next in your neck of the woods.
It would be great to have some drinks and a night out on the town with you. lol i recon you might like Sydney(sure you have seen it before but still), i could show you some errr 'sights' ;)

Radhnoti
lol i sometimes cant understand diago either but usualy when i do i rather enjoy his posts. I cant blame him to much for english not being his first language (lol i errr ass-u-me). Know no i also rather enjoy reading - although his posts seem more like riddles than anything else. Though often there is a gem to be found if you look hard enough. Still i hadnt really considered ignoring someone based on that, strangly that thought rather appeals to me. Pleanty of brats who im sick of reading about there self proclaimed triumphs - maybe thats a good use?

guohuen
"Someone once told me that the true definition of humility is the ability to be teachable by anyone and I thought that really stunk so it's probably true."
* Darn why did you have to say that huh?
Now you have gone and ruined it for everybody:(
I agree, however its not only smelly its outright freakin annoying - absoluty must be true.

KC Elbows
"That's a very cool philosophy, guohuen."
* If i *ignore* your post after responding to everyone else im going to look both rude and hypocritical. So umm - I agree :)

Xebsball
* Ralek is hella cool, he is seriously one of my favorite posters.
Anyone who honestly believes Ralek is for real needs a serious looking at. It would be like trying to claim that the guests on Jerry Springer are not playing to the crowd.
lol still i bet the BJJ crowd would love to get hold of him :)

Cody
* As always you make me think... This is always painfull, my brain can only take so much:p
I totaly see your point on ignoring people who are been *personaly* a hassle. I guess ive been thinking of people who simply bar people they dont agree with - a very narrow viewpoint really.

"So, that's about it. I don't mind if a person has unpopular views of a person or idea or way of life. I have plenty of those myself."
* Yeah but is it normal to play all high and wise and then when your alone scream blue murder?
lol seriously i do this constantly. Im one of those annoying people who pretends to be all accepting and understanding but is secretly thinking... "what a moron"

"How're you doing, jon?"
* Ive been well, thank you kindly for asking.
Work has been a bit of a chore lately and i havent had near as much time for training as i would like but im back to normal hopefully next week, so its back to my heavy training scedule soon and i couldnt be happyer about that.

How have you been of late?
I always love reading your posts and i always tell you that you should post more often. hehe it may sound silly but i often think of you as kind of like a dragon who sits on a mountain of gold. Occasionaly you offer up some of the gold but it always leaves us wanting more. Please be more genourous with the shinny stuff my watching dragon.

dezhen2001
10-31-2002, 12:45 AM
hi jon,

im all good - trying to learn to read ARABIC right now and its friggin HARD :D

i must admit i use the buddy list to see when my people are around and posting... but it doesn't work if you choose to hide your online status ;)

for me i agree, i can easily skim over things i dont like, maybe theres a gem hidden in there somewhere u know?... also its just a forum so no big deal unless it owuld get personal or something :)

dawood

dezhen2001
10-31-2002, 12:45 AM
oops... check ur pm by the way jon :)

david

KC Elbows
10-31-2002, 07:41 AM
I think Jon just smacked me down in the most polite way possible. Touche!:D

guohuen
10-31-2002, 11:15 AM
I grimached about that one for a couple of months. I still get a case of the Peee----youuuuu's when I think about it. Acceptance is having fewer holes chewed through your lips.

Cody
10-31-2002, 02:37 PM
Very good to hear from you again.
hehe I post often enough. Some take hours to put together. That includes thought and writing. I use some as learning tools. A summing up which leads to contribution. A wonderful thing is when someone else gives me insight. a concept, or just a word that helps me along my way. That's great! The best is the good fellowship which results. :-)

Interesting. There's pretending and there's "pretending." I'll give a clear example. Let's say there is someone in your immediate circle who you have to get along with. If not, you stand to lose another precious friendship. But, in truth, you cannot consider this person to be a friend, and harbor justifiable anger. What to do?
You can pretend to do an about face and be a friend, at the cost of self respect, and bearing the burden of burying feelings. You're not doing anyone any favors.
There is a way to deal both with the reality of one's feelings and with channelling them positively, with eyes wide open.
You reserve Friendship for true friends. But, Good Fellowship is extended to all.
The common ground for this is that we are human and have feelings and needs which are not identically expressed. The intent is for the best (open to dispute, but still a constructive attitude if the ears are not closed). To respect another person's humanity goes a long way in alleviating the negative feelings one has towards a person, and allows one to maintain boundaries for whatever protection is necessary without feeling overly defensive or being responsible for the other person feeling so.

The "pretending" occurs while allowing one's self to tolerate the other person. At first, it is role playing, and that is "pretending." The interesting thing is that the pretense starts to melt away as acceptance is allowed to occur. One can maintain the same opinions, even negative ones, minus a lot of the emotionality.
The smile is sincere. Whatever meeting of the minds that can occur does. It's a beginning. It sure beats the other way.

Some of the same reasoning can be used when dealing with what one might think of as a moron, or a lapse into the moronic. There are things to consider. First, being simple, even simple minded is okay, as is being a bright spot in the sky. (In fact, a blend of the two is marvelous.) Both can function perfectly well when there is humility and both are insufferable when there is none.
Bottom line is that if someone can say he doesn't understand or can't agree with my point of view, it's covered. If someone is pushy with something I don't agree with and the whole thing is open to debate, I can say "not for me" and quietly step to the side after making my points in a nonabrasive manner. (and I was Very abrasive at one time) There is no pretense, though, at the beginning, one might find that there will be pretending, role playing, until things fall into place.

Glad you're okay. Good training!

Thanks. You see me as I am. I am, in heart, a watching dragon on a mountain top. Yet, the rock is plain. Somewhat below there is vegetation, starting with the mosses. Me? White, or black, or absorbing color, or transparent.

As of late. There was a death in the family. I'm dealing. Some of what I've written above is new or developing.

always delighted to talk to you,

Cody

TaoBoy
10-31-2002, 04:56 PM
Philosophical dilemna:

What happens if you put yourself on your own ignore list? Hmmm? I'm too scared to try...I might cease to exist. :D

dezhen2001
10-31-2002, 05:51 PM
taoboy: it means u wouldnt have to look back over ur own posts (not as in u. in general) and go --> "what a load of sh|t i just posted!!" :D there is an advantage :cool:

dawood