PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to Hong Kong?

Frank Exchange
10-30-2002, 04:44 AM
Can I have a roll call?

My instructor and about 20 members of the Wong Shun Leung Association UK are going out to HK for the 4th year running, we leave this Sunday 3rd, and come back about the 13th.

We shall be going to the opening of the Yip Man Tong in China. The rest of the time we will be training at Cliff Au Yeung's place in Wan Chai, and the Athletic Association in Kowloon.

We will also be drinking, eating fine food, and doing our level best to pick up girls and bring the fine name of UK WC into disrepute. ;)

There must be others from around the world visiting at the same time? Don't be strangers!

stuartm
10-30-2002, 05:47 AM
Hi 'Frank',

As you probably know, I and two of my students will be going to the Ip Man Tong along with about 40 others representing the Samuel Kwok Martial Arts Association. We are travelling on the 6th and returning on the 17th. We will be giving a demo in Fo-shan as well as trainig privately with Master Ip Ching.

Cant wait - do you fancy meeting up for a few beers etc. Im hoping that it will be a truly non-political affair where we all share in our love of the art. (i will be most disillusioned if its not !)

Who else then........

Cheers, Stuart

Frank Exchange
10-30-2002, 08:35 AM
Yeah, it should be good.

If you are staying in HK rather than the mainland, we will be spending most of our time in Cliff's school in WanChai, which has some great restaurants and bars, if you havent been there before.

My mobile is 07880 501965 (James Webster), which will be with me at all times, so give me a call when you are in HK, and well see if we can hook up. :)

Otherwise, we will see you at the Tong!

I've always wanted to say something like that....

Neurotic
10-30-2002, 05:48 PM
Frank!

Could you put it off for a month?

I'll be in Hong Kong on the 5th of Jan! :o(

Is it possible for you to forward me some information about the Yip Man Tong, I would love to at least walk past while I am down that way.

Or tell me where to go looking?

Thanks in advance,

Neurotic

stuartm
10-31-2002, 03:10 AM
Hey James,

Just activated roaming service on my mobile so give us a ring on 07816 877159 when you get to China / HK !

Stu

hunt1
10-31-2002, 04:36 AM
stuartm-when you see Kwok Sifu tell him Hunter says hello.

stuartm
10-31-2002, 04:55 AM
Hunter - no probs, but what i syour full name and where do you train out of interest?

Stuart

Frank Exchange
10-31-2002, 05:26 AM
Sorry, doesnt look like we will be able to postone the opening, especially for you. :) We tend to visit HK at this time anyway, it is pure coincidence that it happens to be at the same time as the opening.

There doesnt seem to be much info available on where it actually is, my instructor is handling the arrangements, and I know he is relying on his friends in HK to actually sort out the details.

I found this on another site advertising the ceremony:

The OPENING CEREMONY of the museum will be on November 9th, 2002 (Saturday), and ceremonies will start at 12:00 noon (GMT + 7), Fat Shan. We kindly invite all members of the Wing Chun family whether from overseas or from Hong Kong and China, to this joyous event. This is the greatest event in Wing Chun history!

In addition, to make the museum more interesting and informative, we kindly ask for fellow practitioners to submit articles, photographs, trophies, magazine covers, and anything significant about the lifetimes and teachings of Yip Man and his students, to the museum for permanent display.

Finally we aim to post a picture of each and every branch and class of Yip Man Wing Chun in the museum. Therefore it is requested that you should take a picture of your kwan pratitioners (group photograph) with a small article underneath describing your school.

For sending exhibits, please contact
Mr. Ip Ching at: wkchan@acct.dch.com.hk

For informing number of visitors and other travel arrangements, please contact
Mr. Lau Gung Shing at: timetrvl@hkstar.com, mobile: (852)90200933

Perhaps Mr. Lau Gar Shing can let you know exactly where it is, or even arrange a visit.

hunt1
11-01-2002, 01:21 PM
Stuart-Hunter Unschuld train in the Tampa Florida area. Just say Hunter he will know who you are talking about.

cha kuen
11-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Frank,

If you want to look for girls go to

Club-ING in Wanchai on Thursdays, Pink Mao Mao (in causeway bay, near Happy Valley race tracks in the Golden Emperor Hotel), and of course the Lan Kwai Fong strip on Central on any weekend day.

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Frank Exchange
11-12-2002, 06:01 AM
cha-kuen, thanks for the advice, mate, but this is my 4th year going to HK. If I dont know where to go by now, then I dont deserve to and never will... ;)

StuartM, huge apologies. On Friday I took my mobile to Temple Street Market to have it modded with some cool flashing lights and what have you. It died later that day, and so I was totally without connection or phone numbers until I was able to get back from China, when we promptly returned home. The phone works now, but I was dissappointed we were not able to meet at the Tong, and it was totally my fault.

I caught the beginning of your schools demo, but couldnt work out which one was you, then we were hoisted off to the Wong Fei Hung museum and kept busy for the rest of the afternoon.

The museum and the surroundings were great, it was a lot better than I had anticipated. However, to be frank, ;) watching 23 different and unexplained versions of SLT and Biu Jee is not my idea of a grand day out.

Later on we went to visit Cheung Po's school in Foshan, part of which was on the rooftops. That was extremely cool, particularly when an accompanying elder, a 70 year old Mr. Chan demoed chum kiu and the dummy. The guy was an original student of Yip Man from back in 1954, and his power and precision was gobsmacking. The dummy form in particular was amazing.

Im not going to do a breakdown of the rest of the trip like last year, particularly because large portions of it would revolve around my holiday bowel problems and the state of toilets in Foshan. True-to-life, gritty stuff, but hardly welcome reading for the general public. ;)

Anyway, took a cubic assload of footage, about 5 hours in all, so will eventually be posting some clips, but it wont be till I get my new PC capture card.

Hope all you who went got back safely, and those who are still there, have a TsingDao on me.

Grendel
11-12-2002, 10:43 AM
It's wonderful that at last someone has finally documented a good part of the history of Wing Chun. I hope this clears up some of the recent confusion.

Regards,