PDA

View Full Version : The oldest question in the book

jungle-mania
10-30-2002, 06:11 AM
I am being really irritating by asking this question, but humor me anyway. What do you think is the best Chinese martial art, in regards to self-defense. ;)

Ford Prefect
10-30-2002, 06:25 AM
Stealing technology off US spy planes.

Radhnoti
10-30-2002, 07:11 AM
Find a teacher who has the same developmental goals for his students that you want for yourself. If you both end up focusing on "self-defense" THAT will be the best CMA for you. I think the TEACHER is what matters most.

chief108
10-30-2002, 07:11 AM
That's really a silly question..
And you KNOW it too!!!!

It's all about knowing how to apply the sh*t you know...
The style is irrelevant....
Tan Tui (http://www.selini108.com/data/Styles/TanTui/tantui.html) is not even a style, it's an routine (mostly used for "beginners" to strengthen the legs and stretch), but when you know HOW you apply it in a real combat situation, the spring leg breaks legs easily...

We created a thingy called Moon Fist (http://www.selini108.com/data/Moon_Fist/moon_fist.html) in which we try to teach people how to use their skills in selfdefense and real combat situations.

Stealing technology off US spy planes is very impressive too, I admit :D

Chief108

Former castleva
10-30-2002, 07:33 AM
Rhetoric question pal.
(Spelling?)

guohuen
10-30-2002, 08:15 AM
I'm with Ford Prefect. What they did with the plane was truly impressive.
Seriously, I like them all because as best as I can understand from my 35yrs. in martial arts, 32 in CMA, is that most of them contain many of the same principles. As fond as I am of other martial arts I have practiced, Escrima, Judo, Jiu Jutsu, Shotokan, Tang Soo Do and Ulu, they don't contain the same internal/external principals that I learned from Gung Fu. At least not as I was taught them. I'm sure that I could apply many of those principles to any art now that I have the skills, but the point is that the Gung fu I Know already has them so why bother?
As I have yet to run into a style of CMA that I wasn't impressed with I really can't say that I have a preference. I practice Hung Ga because that's what I was taught.