PDA

View Full Version : Speed bag stand

Cipher
10-30-2002, 10:04 AM
Has anyone ever used a speed bag stand? I have seen the ones that attach to a heavy bad stand but I need one just for a speed bag.

My heavy bag is attached to my garage ceiling but for some strange reason I need a mobile speed bag setup.

Instead of spending $300 for a HB stand just for my speed bag I thought about making one for a speed bag. Maybe use extra thick PVC or buy some hollow steel bars. Plus I really like making stuff like this so I figured it would be fun to do too.

So have any of you made or used a speed bag only stand? and how well did it work? I know I can make one that works it's just a matter of having one that is stable enough to take a beating. The main thing is that it is balanced so it does not wobble, and that it is sturdy so it does not move all over the place when I hit the bag. I have been using a friends bag but it's time to get my own setup.

Badger
10-30-2002, 10:41 AM
Try this. Hope it makes sense.

1. Just nail a small piece of plywood to the bottom of a tire. Bend nails over.
2. Nail post to center of tire from the bottom thru the plywood.
3. Fill tire with concrete.
4. Bolt speedbag attachment to post.

Badger

Cipher
10-30-2002, 02:25 PM
That's a good idea. I might try that with a small tire, maybe something like a riding lawnmower tire.

Any other ideas?

LEGEND
10-30-2002, 03:18 PM
I don't think much about the speed bag. It will help increase your hand speed but u can pretty much do the same with a double end bag. I think that will give u better hand eye coordination.

Cipher
10-31-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by LEGEND
I don't think much about the speed bag. It will help increase your hand speed but u can pretty much do the same with a double end bag. I think that will give u better hand eye coordination.

I would like to try out a double end bag. I would be hard to setup in my current situation though. I need to find a boxing gym that I can pay to use their equipment.

Liokault
10-31-2002, 09:52 AM
I swear by speed balls.

The key is to set it up right . You need to get really strong springs and to get the hight right the top part of the stand needs to be quite high.

My teacher has a tall (bout 15 foot) double A frame in his back garden made from scafolding. We use camping type bungees as springs and have a huge concreet weight with a metal hoop in it for attatchment as a base.

I used to hate the ball but after a few months of trying it I found it improved almost every thing about my punching......speed,timing,power,acuracy and stamine.

It takes a lot of work but its really worth it.

The best thing about the above set up is that its free as long as you know someone who can get you some scaffolding.

Cipher
10-31-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Liokault
I swear by speed balls.

The key is to set it up right . You need to get really strong springs and to get the hight right the top part of the stand needs to be quite high.

My teacher has a tall (bout 15 foot) double A frame in his back garden made from scafolding. We use camping type bungees as springs and have a huge concreet weight with a metal hoop in it for attatchment as a base.

I used to hate the ball but after a few months of trying it I found it improved almost every thing about my punching......speed,timing,power,acuracy and stamine.

It takes a lot of work but its really worth it.

The best thing about the above set up is that its free as long as you know someone who can get you some scaffolding.

This would be a good project to do next spring. For winter though, would it work if the ceiling in my garage is only 8'-9' high or is that too short for a speed ball? Thanks.

Liokault
10-31-2002, 12:57 PM
8-9 foot should be fine.

The main thing is to spend some time getting it right. If you set it up wrong the ball will either not move no matter how hard you hit it, will move to much with even a light punch or worse will not move but just sort of wobble and vibrate.

What you are looking for is the ball to move away from you when you hit it hard and to come back at you fast enough that it pushes your ability to hit it. Also try not to get into an easy hit-bounce-bounce-hit-bounce-bounce rythem. Try to set the ball so that it only moves away from you if you hit it hard and square then try to get to the point that you can hit it each time it comes towards you.

Gets harder when you start to put in lots of mixed hooks/crosses/uppercuts or (and I love this) you have 2 guys -one on each side both hitting the ball.