PDA

View Full Version : speedball improvising

Souljah
10-30-2002, 12:50 PM
I want a speed ball.....
but the walls in my house are too weak to support one...they crumble if you put to much weight 'on/in' them.
I cant find any portable speed ball apparatus anywhere locally, all I can find are the wall-mounted ones.

Is there anyway of me getting a wall mounting set and making it portable? ie instead of a wall a large plank or something, and a sturdy base (cement-tyre, plank scenario .....
do you think this will work ?
Has anyone tried it, or something similar regarding a speedball?

ewallace
10-30-2002, 01:59 PM
The American Drug Enforcement Agency generally frowns on those types of activities.

Souljah
10-30-2002, 02:03 PM
lol..... can I get a real answer? hehe

ewallace
10-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Oh yeah...my fault. I really have nothing constructive to add to your thread bro. Carry on! :)

Souljah
10-30-2002, 02:55 PM
bah.....lol

Does anyone know?:(

IronFist
10-30-2002, 11:41 PM
Do you have a sturdy place in the ceiling you could hang one maybe?

I don't suspect they weigh THAT much, right?

IronFist

Souljah
10-31-2002, 03:49 AM
Well, its not so much the weight, just the constant bouncing movement of the ball and the board when using it, which will eventually wear away the walls.....

I dont think I can hang it on the ceiling anyway, its a specific wall mounted one that I may get , cant find any variations locally and dont want to/cant order off the net.....:(

Gav
10-31-2002, 10:23 AM
Here's what I would do...

Measure the EXACT height from floor to ceiling in the EXACT place I want to put the thing.

Now you need:

1 4x4 beam cut to the EXACT measurement of your floor to your ceiling minus 1/2".
2 or 3 4x4 pieces of 4 to 6".
4 or 4 pieces of dense foam. (not the stuff used for mattresses. You want the thicker grey stuff that recording studios use for sound deflection)
1 triangular shiv (piece of wood shaped like a doorstop.)
1 4x4" piece of 3/8" thickness plywood.
some screws and a screwdriver
some wood glue
a level
a hammer

Now:
mount the small 4x4 pieces along one side of your beam. You can get those little metal braces with screws or whatever. Glue a piece of foam to the end of each piece. (These ends will go along your wall, keeping the beam from pushing in towards it.)

now glue foam to the top and bottom ends of the beam.

next, put the 4x4" piece of wood on the floor where you want the beam to sit and stand the beam up on top of it. Push the beam back against the wall so that your support pieces you attached earlier are up against it.

now slide the shiv (doorstop thing) under the bottom of the 4x4" plywood and hammer it under. This shouldpush the beam up into the ceiling and wedge it.
Now bust out your level and knock the thing back and forth until it's perfectly straight.
The good thing about this is it should leave NO marks or holes on your walls or ceiling at all. The bad thing is that you'll probably have to wack that wedge back under the thing every so often and the noise of you slamming away at the bag for hours on end may resonate up into the ceiling and floor and walls, bugging the hell out of your neighbors, if you have any.
If you can find a corner to do this is, you could put extra supports on 2 sides and it would proably be way more sturdy.

Anyway, that's what I would probably do. Take it or leave it.

Gav :D

Souljah
11-05-2002, 05:21 AM
thanks for that gav, will try it as soon as possible, theres a 'timber-yard' nearby so i think i'll go down and see wwhat I can get :D

yenhoi
11-07-2002, 10:55 AM
Get two sticks and swing them Kali style.

Speed bag in a can, kinda.

45degree fist
11-14-2002, 06:37 PM
I once owned a floor based speed bag with a heavy bag holder on the other side it cost me about $150 dollars but it came with both bags and they were adjustable I bought this at the Sports Authority in my home town. on their website they have some but more extravagent and expensive here is a pic