PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Find An Instructor!!

DOUGEFRESH
10-30-2002, 12:51 PM
I have been studying different forms of Martial Arts for several years and have not yet found the system I would like to master. I have been living in Delray Beach Florida for 10 years now and have not been able to find a worthwhile instructor. You have instructors here in Florida, using the movies to their advantage by using names to get you through the door like Steven Segal, Van Damme, Jet Li, and others. Of course there are also the ever popular Grappling schools that all sprouted up after the UFC and
Gracie. Most of these instructors have no merit, and have taken it upon themselves to create their own systems. I have been through many styles, and although I feel certain aspects of
all the systems I have trained in may be street effective, I am looking for more! I am NOT looking to sit in horse stance doing reverse punch over and over. With all due respect I am not looking to learn traditions and Katas. I want to learn the most street effective system I can find. I like the idea of using an opponents own wait against them, however I prefer using
strikes as opposed to blocks. Is there a system that you know of for me? More importantly, Is there anyone who stands out above the rest in the SOUTH FLORIDA area as a teacher? Who is the best? Who has had to use their system in real life events like the older masters of Hong Kong? I want to learn from the best of the best of the best and I am hoping you can give me advice in my area. Any info will be appreciated.

Arhat of Fury
10-30-2002, 01:24 PM
Im not sure what part of Florida his school is in, but Lee koon Hung has a Choy lay Fut out there(very reputable) and from your description it sounds like CLF is what you are looking for. It combines tradional shaolin principles with street effective fighting. It was developed to fight your way out of ambush's/multiple attackers.

If you do not want the spiritual and philisophical side of things,
I would reccomend Muay Thai or Boxing although i dont know any instructors out there.

AOF

norther practitioner
10-30-2002, 01:25 PM
There are a bunch of eagle claw schools near Pembrook. I think the school is the midst of splitting up however, there are some good instructors there. Sifu Nee is the head guy.

Stacey
10-30-2002, 02:41 PM
http://www.8step.com/schools/index.html