PDA

View Full Version : Qi into Jing

dre_doggX
10-30-2002, 06:07 PM
What methods you use to convert qi into jing.
How does qi turn into jing, your opinons, or experiences.

Stacey
10-30-2002, 06:25 PM
um, chi comes from jing. Jing is original essence. Check your nuts. But don't check them too often or else you'll lose jing. Drinking will do it too. Jing goes to kidney chi which starts the cycle. Chi flowing well makes shen. You get shiney eyes.

To boost all three www.8step.com

take the body purifiers. Its like sterioids for you chi, but it works by cleaning your blood, so its all positive.

Kumkuat
10-30-2002, 06:47 PM
my understanding is that qi becomes jin upon touch. For example, when you do that single arm silk reeling exercise, you use your intent to put your 'qi' onto your hands. Then if someone touched your hand and offer a bit of resistance, it become 'jin.' That's what I think.

Nexus
10-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Chi and Jing are simply concepts. Be careful becoming too concerned with concepts that you miss the techniques that they are attempting to convey.

Chi and jing and shen and all of such happen and occur naturally when t'ai chi is practiced properly.

Repulsive Monkey
10-31-2002, 04:14 AM
I think what he means ic Jin as in intrinsic force for applications and issuing. This is trained for but requires substantial qi cultivation/development first. Jing however is our pre-natal essence which is stored by the Kidneys and is set to a finite limit. Officially speaking Chinese Medicine says that Jing cannot be increased, just refined or reduced.

Kevin Wallbridge
10-31-2002, 10:12 AM
There are several ****nyms that are transliterated as Jing. (Keep in mind that these transliterations have no indication of tone, and tone is meaning in Chinese)

In the context of the body Jing most often refers to the physical matter of existence. A corpse is the Jing seperated from the Shen/spirit. When they talk of converting Qi into Jing they are not refering to the whole body. This is a process of internal alchemy that attempts to envigorate Kidney Jing. Rather than than refering to the physical matter of the kidney itself, which is also Jing, this is a reference to Yuan Yin, the primordial aspect of physicality which depletes over our lives. The depletion of Yuan Yin is what results in the aging process.

While some alchemical schools believed that Qi could be converted into Jing/Yuan Yin, it is more common to see it as a process of making the inevitable consumption of Jing more efficient, thereby slowing the aging process.

The practices around working with the primordial energies of the body are the most dangerous in Qigong alchemy (they most often lead to Yin depletion rather than health). As an instructor in the Qigong department of a school of Chinese medicine I recommend that you do not look for this information on the web. Its good to know that it is there, but if you cannot get instuction one-on-one then just keep it very simple.

I advocate a radical honesty with yourself about just what you are really aware of. Stand still and experience yourself. Take your time and wait. Three years of simply standing is not enough to get you to the place of quietude that internal alchemical practitioners began as novices 1000 years ago. Even things like using the mind in small-heavenly-orbit is too much for most people, as the overstimulated mind is not really capable of an honest preception of self, free from interpretation.

As an aside on tonics and cleansers. Chinese medicine is also context specific. There are no panacaes, what is a good formula for one person is not necessarily good for another. Be cautious about taking universally recommended medicines. No herbs should be taken outside the context of a good diagnosis of the state of your internal climate. A tonifier may strengthen a pathological influence and a cleanser may take the feet out from under the body's defences.

Walter Joyce
10-31-2002, 10:27 AM
Kevin,
Please keep posting, some of the best stuff on the boards.
Walter

Kevin Wallbridge
11-01-2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks Walter.

I notice, however that my posts are either completely ignored or they stop the thread cold. The few dialogues that I have engaged in have had to do with people misreading my text and running away on a tangent.

SBonzak
11-01-2002, 07:14 PM
A few comments on Kevin's post-

****While some alchemical schools believed that Qi could be converted into Jing/Yuan Yin, it is more common to see it as a process of making the inevitable consumption of Jing more efficient, thereby slowing the aging process.****

While the process of converting qi into jing may be achieved through specific qigongs, it is important to remember that this will happen automatically in the body if you eat right and don't spend too much of your energy during the day. The body automatically replaces jing when it has energy left over from the day's activities. While 100% of the jing cannot be replaced (hence we age no matter how good the qigong), like Kevin said, qigong can slow the aging process by making more efficient the replacement of used jing and slowing the consumption of jing in general.

****As an aside on tonics and cleansers. Chinese medicine is also context specific. There are no panacaes, what is a good formula for one person is not necessarily good for another. Be cautious about taking universally recommended medicines. No herbs should be taken outside the context of a good diagnosis of the state of your internal climate. A tonifier may strengthen a pathological influence and a cleanser may take the feet out from under the body's defences.****

The same goes for qigong methods. What is good for one person at one specific time in their training may not be good for them at a later stage in their training. The same goes for different people. What is good qigong for one person will not necessarily be good for another, and even may be detrimental. It is important to find a teacher that can explain what is good for what.

Steve

Kevin Wallbridge
11-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Actually Steve I think you confusing two different articulations of Jing here when you talk of the body replacing Jing with energy left over from daily activity. This Jing can not only be replaced to 100% but even beyond. This is how people get fat, laying down excess Jing. However, this is somatic Jing, or the Jing of the body, whats left when you are a corpse. This is different from Yuan Yin, the primordial essence in the Kidneys which cannot be replaced.

The alchemical concern is not somatic Jing, rather Yuan Yin. This is clearly seen in the teaching of the southern school of Complete Reality Daoism. This school is the one that has the most detailed teaching of sexual Qigong and cultivation.

mantis108
11-02-2002, 07:46 PM
IMHO the true concern of the internal alchemist school (ie Complete Reality Daoism) starts with Yuan Yin [lower conciousness/body-mind continuum] and then progress to Yuan Yang [higher conciousness/indestructable soul], which is also known as the golden pill [represented by the hexagram Heaven]. That's if you are approaching it from the Ying/Yang theorem [note the term theorem implies mathematics]. There're also other theorems such as the Five Elements that yield the same result. Getting too wrap up in the terminology and the mysticism is really not necessary. Most of the time it's just a mental game. But then that's tradition for you.

Mantis108

SBonzak
11-03-2002, 04:34 PM
Hi Kevin-

Actually, the way I understand it, there are three types of
"jing" or essence - earlier heaven essence, later heaven essence, and kidney essence (using Wiseman's translations). Earlier heaven is acquired from your parents and is what dtermines a the constitutional backdrop of a person - his or her "vitality". Later heaven essence comes from the food, drink, and air processed by the body. Kidney essence is derived from both ealier heaven and later heaven essence, meaning it has a congenital aspect, but can be replenished by later heaven essence (when there is a surplus). It is the Kidney essence which controls our growth, maturation, reproduction, and death. This is the "yin" part of the Kindeys and represents the "yuan yin," or original yin (Wiseman defines yuan yin to be Kidney Yin). An excess of this type of yin can only occur in a relative way, as when the body has too little yang to counterbalance it, but it can never be absolutely more than it was originally.

So this is why I still say that there is only one yuan yin, and that is Kidney Yin, of which Kidney essence comprises a large part. Kidney essence is something that arises naturally in the body from the beginning (from the earlier heaven essence), and is nurtured during our lives as we eat, sleep, and grow (later heaven essence). Kideny essence can be restored through qigong and meditation only because they make the daily draw on our original essence less and make the processing of later heaven essence more efficient, resulting in surplus which nurtures the Kidney essence. The "yin" that results in fat, etc is a different "yin" that is pathogenic in nature (e.g. dampness), while the Kidney Yin can never be in absolute excess.

-Steve

guohuen
11-04-2002, 09:52 AM
I could be mistaken, but I think Dre was refering to martial jing, not essence.

SBonzak
11-04-2002, 10:10 AM
If he meant martial power, I believe the pinyin for that is "jin" and not "jing." And if that is the case, completely disregard everything posted above :) One of the many problems we westerners get into when we don't know the Chinese characters.

-Steve

Kumkuat
11-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by SBonzak
If he meant martial power, I believe the pinyin for that is "jin" and not "jing." And if that is the case, completely disregard everything posted above :) One of the many problems we westerners get into when we don't know the Chinese characters.

-Steve

That's what I thought too. So that's why I used the word 'jin.'