PDA

View Full Version : Lioin dancing is for clowns who can't fight

Stacey
10-30-2002, 07:12 PM
They would be better off doing ballet or better yet sweaten to Darren's grooves.

They spend all the time on dancing, they have even less time practicing fighting.

friday
10-30-2002, 07:42 PM
hmmm taking this thread seriously...i don't see any problems if some people pursue lion dancing only or more seriously than the fighting side of kung fu. perhaps they only want to do lion dancing and learn about that cultural aspect. If they don't claim to being great fighters and only train in lion dancing whats wrong with that?
i've seen plenty of young ppl pursue lion dancing etc with passion want to learn and train for performances, competitions etc. i mean... what exactly is your issue with it?

Serpent
10-30-2002, 07:50 PM
Depends how much you want to understand the total culture of your art. Lion Dance has always been hand in glove with gung fu schools.

Besides, it's one of the best stance training exercises there is and it does wonders for your cardio. One day Stacey will realise that everything is gung fu, if you live it.

WinterPalm
10-30-2002, 08:06 PM
I would say that Stacey is clearly mindless. No doubt here. I suppose you could say that grapplers are all f a g g o t' s because they are generaly men that roll around and straddle each other and sweat profusily. And that is ridiculous.
Really now, this thread is stupid as the starter.

wushu chik
10-30-2002, 08:08 PM
His issue with is to just cause more problems and try to flame those people (like me) whom LOVE Lion Dancing. Personally, I think "Stacey" just hasn't spent enough time rolling on the floor with Ralek, and needs a LOT more love, understanding and compassion than we all care to share with him/her/it.

As for lion dancing......i think it's wonderful for students to learn. The majority of the lion dancers that I know train harder, and are way more into kung fu than your average student. Just my opinion.

~Wen~

joedoe
10-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Serpent is right though - it is good stance training and does wonders for your cardio.

Arioch7
10-30-2002, 08:12 PM
Well Stacey... I think you are just a moron. Seeing how you are trolling, I guess I am a little moronic myself.

It is a cultural thing, I do not begrudge those who perform the dance. I think it is pretty cool.

I suppose me peforming American rituals is "Moronic" to you as well.

Let me reiterate my point... you are a moron.

mantis108
10-30-2002, 08:24 PM
Lion dances were dangerous events where fights frequently broke out between rival schools. Lion heads have specific features and color codes to identify their "fighting spirit & intention". Only the best and the strongest of the school were allowed to participate in the Lion dance team in case a fight breaks out. Protocol of lion dance were very strict to avoid insulting the other schools, guests or the hosts. People will fight to uphold their "face/honor". Nowadays that isn't the case any more since the "sportification" of the lion dances. If this is the good old days, I would think twice before mocking the lion dance troupes. But today, well... :o you might yet have a point.

Mantis108

WinterPalm
10-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Don't get me wrong! I love Lion Dance. In fact I've been fortunate enough to have a great sifu and have performed for local chinese merchants and festivities.
It is awesome for training stances, footwork, cordination and is great for the cardio. I also consider it excellent for strength training especially in the forearms and the shoulders.

Hip Hip Hooray for Lion Dance.:D

Shadow Dragon
10-30-2002, 08:37 PM
Looks like stacey hasn't learned yet, that everything you do on TMA training reflects directly back into your MA skill even though it might not look related.

Many MA of old were street performers and used those performances to stay in shape and keep their skills honed.

Also many earned their money by working as bonesetters during times of un-employment.

Cheers.

joedoe
10-30-2002, 08:38 PM
Sorry - my mistake. I thought you were talking to Serpent, not Stacey. My bad.

Serpent
10-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by mantis108
Lion dances were dangerous events where fights frequently broke out between rival schools. Lion heads have specific features and color codes to identify their "fighting spirit & intention". Only the best and the strongest of the school were allowed to participate in the Lion dance team in case a fight breaks out. Protocol of lion dance were very strict to avoid insulting the other schools, guests or the hosts. People will fight to uphold their "face/honor". Nowadays that isn't the case any more since the "sportification" of the lion dances. If this is the good old days, I would think twice before mocking the lion dance troupes. But today, well... :o you might yet have a point.

Mantis108

Don't lump everyone in with that generalised assessment! ;)

Gold Horse Dragon
10-30-2002, 08:47 PM
Traditional Lion Dance is an integral part of any Southern Kung Fu Kwoon. Sifu of southern styles do not consider their Kwoon complete with out a lion dance team.
In our Kwoon we have had lion dance for years and every Lion Dancer was also the best at Kung Fu - both free fighting and forms.
Traditional Lion Dance allows one to show their kung fu - strong stances, agile footwork, ingenuity, precision and a host of other attributes absolutely required to be good at kung fu. Of course Lion Dance alone will not make one great at kung Fu, for one also has to train in that to be good at it. But every student who is good in the lion will be good in kung fu when give correct teaching.
As well, performing Lion Dance is great for the community in that you are bringing those for whom you perform good luck, prosperity and happiness.
Besides Traditional Kung Fu is about a lot more than just fighting.

GHD

AhBenG
10-30-2002, 08:54 PM
Therefore, Wong Fei Hung the "King of Lions" was a clown who couldn't fight, and he would've been much better off doing ballet

YAH? Stacey? :D

Mr Punch
10-30-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by WinterPalm
I suppose you could say that grapplers are all f a g g o t' s because they are generaly men that roll around and straddle each other and sweat profusily...

Didn't know ***gots sweated profusely. Bet Stacey's sweating buckets even as he types this garbage.

Lion dancing is for clowns who can't fight...

I'd best get off then...! :D

mantis108
10-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Fair enough. I did over generalize. :O

But then sportification of lion dance is very much a reality that has made lion dance into a dance just like figure skating. How much of the traditional protocols have been removed in favour of the "performance". We see nowaday's that the Southern Lion doing tricks like its northern counterpart; hence, the body of southern lion has to be refited like the northern one. I fear that the new generations of lion dancers don't even aware that they are "Nan Si Bei Wu" (dancing the northern dance with a southern lion). Southern lion dance is getting to be souless soon if not already let alone the fighting part. How many lion dancers today understand what is behind the "weapon greens" Or the different types of greens for that matter? Anyway, just some personal rant.

Mantis108

Serpent
10-30-2002, 09:50 PM
You obviously have a lot of knowledge on the subject, Mantis108. Perhaps you could write a short article for us, detailing the colours and techs, etc........

Please?

;)

xie li wong
10-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Face it, you are a Pu$$y, and you can't fight or Lion Dance!! Since you've proved time and time again that you can't play well with the older kids, you're banished to your bedroom to play with your GI Joes and Barbies, until you can come out and behave.

:D

BSH
10-31-2002, 09:32 AM
To do a real good dance, you should be able to do a 30 minute horse stance. Anyone knocking the lion dance able to do that.

The Lion dance has a purpose and the better the dance the better the results.

Former castleva
10-31-2002, 10:36 AM
Lion dancing is a dance like others,no matter dancers are often KF ppl,that may help them dance better.
Lion dancing for selected situations to boost up one´s mood...
:o :) :eek:

Chang Style Novice
10-31-2002, 02:23 PM
Correct grammar and spelling are for clowns who can't fight
Computer programming is for clowns who can't fight
Building houses is for clowns who can't fight
Math and science are for clowns who can't fight
Art and literature are for clowns who can't fight
Architecture and engineering are for clowns who can't fight

I hope my point is clear.