PDA

View Full Version : Li Family Kung Fu

apeters28
10-30-2002, 07:29 PM
Li Family Kung Fu, I was taught, came out of the Fukien Shaolin Temple, and after it was burned down by the government troops. Supposedly five ancestors escaped the temple, one of them being Li Shih Kaik, who travelled and taught this style. Does anyone here know anything about this style, or what it consists of? If you have any information about it, that would be great.

Thank you,

Andrew

Shaolin Master
10-31-2002, 09:21 PM
There are many Li styles per se :

eg

Li Style Taijiquan (Li Yi Yu's)
Li Style Zha Quan (Moslem)
Li Style Shaolin (There are a few in both north and south regions)
Li Family Teachings (Hakka)
Li Family Fist (Guangdong)

So which one specifically: Careful some of the southern martial art histories were based on novels and legends.

For example
Li Shi Kai
Li Pa Shan
Li You Shan

are three ancestral founders of Li style.

I studied Li style of the Hakka traditional in my youth and recently I have commenced study in the Guangdong Li style.

The Hakka style originally only had the 18 hands of Luohan set and many staff sets. Now in HongKong a redeveloped style exist.

The Guangdong style attributes its founder as Li You Shan of XinHui City. It is said that the five shapes of shaolin were combined into one forming the present day style. It emphasises false stance and false body which means that the body and stance are unclear not specific between all shapes. The sets are short and linke like a chain it is a fairly close fighting system.
Some of the sets include : Wu Lien Shou, Zhong Liu Lien and Chi Lien Shou as well as Zi Wu Lien Huan Gun at the fundamental level.

Regards
Wu Chan Long

apeters28
11-01-2002, 12:37 PM
The style that I study under supposedly was founded by Li Shi Kaik and was passed on through generations. Thank you Shaolin Master, your post has been the most helpful that I've received on here.

Andrew

ZhouJiaQuan
11-01-2002, 02:20 PM
is the li ga the one that uses the butterfly hrose in their double broadsword(or was it butterfly knife) form?
they were one of the 5 major southern arts corrcect?

thanks

xie li wong
11-02-2002, 04:35 PM
This is what I found out about the Li family stuff just read these two threads! lol :D
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15860

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15860

But sorry that Gene lost the BEST part of this thread lol

dirty cat
11-04-2002, 03:30 AM
hi shaolin master
from your studies and experiance of the li styles
is there one that has a history back to the five
families and before,or is all just a legend
thanks

Shaolin Master
11-04-2002, 08:03 PM
apeters28,

Glad to be of help. Could you tell me a little about your Li Si Kai Li Ga....from a modern history perspective. Teachers teachers and location in china practiced previously...

Dirty Cat,

None have 'verifiable' claims to the 5 escapees of the "novels". Some do have legendary claims.

Hakka Li is completely unrelated as it originated in Shantou areas then HaiFeng county and further southward.

Guangdong LiGa : the LiYouSan clan cannot claim this.

However further in midland Guangdong there was said to be a practitioner claiming the 5 escapees but this was mentioned to me but I have been unable to locate them.

In fact there are some that claim that although 5 escaped only Hung Xi Guan survived which is reflected in Hung Fist. Again contrary to Huang Fei Hong's Hung Ga (which is Lu A Cai and Liang Gwun related).

In chinese some novels are based on some elements of truth then extrapolated to make them more fantastic and interesting. The difficulty then occurs when attempting to decide the fact from fiction.

Regards,
Wu Chan Long

apeters28
11-04-2002, 10:05 PM
My teacher's teacher was named Li Tsung Dao, who fled China when the communist took over. He moved to Taipei, Taiwan and then moved to Los Angeles. He was teh first Li family member to teach the style to individuals not of Li blood. He had no sons or daughters that are living. He chose not to die outside China and returned to live in Taiwan many years ago. Li Chan Kung fu originally came into being in Fuchow, Fukien Province in China. The originator of the style, Grandmaster Li Shihh kai, a shaolin monk, taught the style to his adopted or biological family members in Fuchow beginning 1674. Traditionally, it is said that he was but one of only five monks that escaped the destruction of the Shaolin Temple.

The style is a combination of both long arm and short arm and Northern and Southern tenets of Kung fu. The postures, are represented after eight animals.

xie li wong
11-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Hey you all!!

Are you all a part of this Guys school? or are you not?

http://www.leesshaolinkungfu.com/kungfu2.html

:)

xie li wong
11-08-2002, 10:10 PM
What you guys do not know if you are from Lees school? hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm :confused:

Shaolin Master
11-09-2002, 11:26 PM
It was not worth a comment. (you should know better, his is the supreme Lee that no one has heard of! :) )

apeters28
11-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Shaolin Master,

What did you mean by that?

Shaolin Master
11-10-2002, 07:33 PM
There are too many bleeps on that website for it to be factual especially about southern lee being from northern lee, which is a mockery. It was a sarcastic statement for xie li wong who seems to have a playful nature.

apeters28
11-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Gotcha,

so what style are you Shaolin Master?

xie li wong
11-11-2002, 05:56 PM
:D

jbmmaster
11-17-2002, 04:13 AM
So shaolin master you have studied the hakka family style li gar.
thats great who taught you, i know hear in stamford grandmaster lyn who is one of the last or is has taugh me a little bit of that and i though he was the only one left teaching it but you live in china and studied it in your childhood so i dont know.

anyway its cool to find out some one on this message board has studied the same style as mine.

:)