PDA

View Full Version : kung fu I learned from tv and movies

HuangKaiVun
07-04-2001, 05:36 PM
What moves did you learn from the movies?

In "Bloodsport", Chong Li (Bolo Yeung) kicks the thigh of Paradas (Michael Qissi) and knocks him backward.

What interested me there wasn't the kick itself, but the short sequence of shuffle steps that Chong Li used to advance toward Paradas. I learned this move directly from the movie as a youngster.

Years later, I learned the "Chik Pu" set of Bak Mei kung fu. Lo and behold, it was the same exact shuffle step.

HuangKaiVun
07-05-2001, 03:54 PM
No replies yet? Doesn't anybody here watch movies :)?

From "Master Killer", I imitated the fighting set that San-Te and his Shaolin cohorts were doing under the watchful tutelage of a yellow-robed Yuen Tiao (Sam Seed).

When I was training Hung Ga, I was impressed to notice that the movements I had been copying were straight from "Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen".

My guess is that "Master Killer's" Hung Ga came from the Lam Tsai Wing/Lam Jo lineage.

JasBourne
07-05-2001, 04:27 PM
"What moves did you learn from the movies"

I learned what people who don't seriously study MA *think* kungfu is, and what kind of pretty but useless moves they might try in a real fight.

:D

--------------------------------------
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. "
- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

cho
07-05-2001, 10:21 PM
in the Jackie Chan movie Who Am I?, there's a scene where Chan is fighting a bunch thugs in Rotterdam. one guy punches him, but is blocked by Chan's palm, who then punches over his hand to his face. Very similar to Wing Chun's Slap hand block and punch.

I've found myself not learning moves, but training routines, like from Shaolin Temple. An oldy but a goody.

Chang Style Novice
07-06-2001, 07:18 AM
Best move I've learned from the movies is....

how to kick a pool ball in the air like a hackeysack, then with a jumping roundhouse launch it into the face of a fast-draw assassin.

Okay,you got me; that was only from the commercial.

honorisc
07-06-2001, 12:35 PM
At least some of my spinniness might have been influenced if not greatly furthered by th White Lotus priest in Shao-Lin Executioner, with the Kung-Fu like a funeral paper doll. "The harder you hit, the further it backs..."~Crane widow of Tiger deceased.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Fubokuen
07-17-2001, 08:21 PM
The great Lo Lieh plays the White-Browed Villainous Taoist in BOTH "Shaolin Executioners"(with the Tiger/Crane Family) AND "Fists of the White Lotus"(with the lightbody/spinning and paper dolls)... This is the greatest Shaw Bros Villian ever.

Chang Style Novice
10-30-2002, 11:21 PM
So, how quickly would you get killed if you tried the stuff you see on tv and videos? Pretty fast I imagine. Post your favorite "you have got to be kidding" manuevers here.

From Star Trek Enterprise tonight.

If you are unarmed, and face to face with a killer wielding a sword, you can easily escape by leaning right, then left, then doing a forward roll diagonally towards him!

Hai_To
10-31-2002, 08:31 AM
Just watch any Rocky movie to learn how to block punches with your face.

Hai_To
10-31-2002, 04:23 PM
The Sean Connery flick is The Presidio. Its actually a pretty good movie.

@PLUGO
10-31-2002, 04:26 PM
Never saw Presideo....

Been practicing that Martix leap...

there Is no spoon...

HuangKaiVun
11-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Oh jas, you clearly have never faced the Bak Mei or Hung Ga styles before.

Trust me, it can be a very unpleasant experience - particularly for one as inexperienced as you.

dezhen2001
11-09-2002, 10:05 PM
the movie is Rising Sun with wesley snipes and tia carerre if im not mistaken stumblefist? :) he thumbs the guy under the adams apple?

dawood

Mizong_Kid
11-10-2002, 05:47 AM
i saw a jet pull off a neat block and trap move......it was done so fast....looked nice! (scene on the riverboat, in the kitchen where he briefly has an encounter with a frnech cop(who is chinese)!

:D

Kristoffer
11-15-2002, 01:04 AM
I learned that you can't stick to walls like spidey does. and yeah that hurts :(