PDA

View Full Version : What kind of injuries are common in Shuai chiao?

phantom
10-31-2002, 08:43 AM
Does shuai chiao have a high risk of injuries? If so, what kind of injuries are common as a result of practicing this art? Thanks in advance.

Stacey
10-31-2002, 08:48 AM
hyperextended elbows, neck injuries, knee injuries, internal bleeding. Thats about it.

MonkeySlap Too
10-31-2002, 10:20 AM
The most dangerous aspect is not focusing on safety first. Often people with a lot of courage think 'oh, I can do that', and promptly get messed up.

Safety, safety, saftey. Just not too much :)

Stacey
10-31-2002, 05:04 PM
there is also a lot of peeenis pulling. maybe thats just my school though. I learn from Chicotine.

MonkeySlap Too
10-31-2002, 05:09 PM
Isn't chicotine jalapeno flavored mouthwash?

TaoBoy
10-31-2002, 05:16 PM
The injuries would be similar to Aikido injuries, no?

Wrists, elbows and other joints...

SLC
11-01-2002, 08:40 AM
"...a lot of peeenis pulling..."

Uh-oh. Is that really dangerous? Seems like I read that it is only bad for eyesight. ****, where's my glasses. :confused:

jungle-mania
11-01-2002, 08:59 AM
I believe certain techniques in shuai chiao prevents the opponent from breakfalling (ouch!), they probably break from the fall. That is probably the risky part about shuai chiao.

phantom
11-01-2002, 02:18 PM
Well, if you cannot breakfall, then what is to prevent you from falling on your back and becoming crippled for life?

jungle-mania
11-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Actually, I have no idea, as I haven't seen anyone manage to break their fall from such throws. It would be possible that these tecjniques I was talking about can only be performed on a soft mat. The techniques that I was talking about resembls wrestling, but more refined. Probably that is where people have a hard time breaking their fall.

SevenStar
11-02-2002, 10:25 AM
There are throws that make it difficult to use the Japanese breakfalls.

eulerfan
11-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by phantom
Well, if you cannot breakfall, then what is to prevent you from falling on your back and becoming crippled for life?

What is a breakfall?

I've been thrown on a really hard floor a few times. There's never been a problem with my back. It's when your head whips back onto the floor that worries me.

SevenStar
11-02-2002, 11:54 AM
I think I'm more worried about arms. from my experiences, everyone picks up tucking thehead just fine, however, it's ALOT harder getting them to stop instinctively reaching out with the arms to catch themselves after they've been thrown. A guy in my class got his arm snapped in a tournament for doing that.

GGL
11-02-2002, 05:44 PM
I think the biggest injury is people falling wrong.. I try to instill the philosphy of Shuai Chiao falling as opposed to Breakfalls.. cause usually the body is moving so fast that you cannot do a proper breakfall as per Judo or Jujitsu.. and we also discourage rolls or rolling out of a fall..

I cant tell you how many times people say "I can do that" and when they are thrown the put their hand out or somethng like that. and break a wrist elbow or shoulder...

Personally I have torn my rotar cuff, dislocated elbow, pulled numerous muscles.. but I think it really is the general bumps and brusies that comes with a high impact art..

But with practice you develope a sort of Iron Body and get use to falling on any surface.. ie: cement or asphalt

I.M. Toast
11-03-2002, 12:49 AM
So, what IS the difference between Shuai chiao breakfalls and the "japanese" breakfalls?

I.M.T.

SevenStar
11-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Japanese breakfalls use the arms slapping the ground to disperse the energy - actually, I'll rephrase what I said earlier, because in my longfist class, we were taught to fall that way - so instead of chinese falling, I will say shuai chiao faling. In shuai chiao falling, you essentially tuck into a ball - tuck your head, bend your arms at the elbows using your foreams to protect the head.

To see some illustrations, you can go to www.shuaichiao.org and click on "Throw Alley"

neptunesfall
11-03-2002, 03:14 PM
the most common injury i've seen is severe bruising on the insides of the knees from the legs slamming together after some throws.
also:
broken fingers from getting too twisted up in jackets, fingernail scratches from idiots with improper hygene, jacket burn, thumped heads from improper falling, jammed joints from trying to resist a throw when it's a really bad idea, and facial grass stains after sparring outside.

GGL
11-03-2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the props.. on the website

please look out for updates and new throws coming in the next week or so

greg:D

SevenStar
11-03-2002, 04:08 PM
no doubt. Are you in any of those clips?

GGL
11-03-2002, 04:17 PM
I'm the gut getting thrown in most of the clips, but we are going to turn the tables in the next batch to where I'm throwing.. and I think I'm going to use a bigger guy to throw.. see I weight in at a whoping 160 lbs and I'm going to grab a guy 200 plus to demostrate the throws.. usually its my sifu saying "ok go out and do something".. so I want to put emphisis on big guy throws and that it can be done by a smaller guy.. I'm still not sure what I'll do.. but I guess i'll find out

do you have any suggestions on big guy throws

I know they won't be dramamtic or ariel throws but enough to set them up for a strike or lock

thanks
greg

SevenStar
11-03-2002, 04:41 PM
how about some sweeps? also I would say cao or ripping to kwai, which are already on your site.

SevenStar
11-03-2002, 04:50 PM
maybe diagonal cut too

jungle-mania
11-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the update and pardon my ignorance. By the way, do you know of any schools teaching shuai chiao in the corner of my world? I am living in Singapore. Need more wrestling skill to help with my sanshou.

SevenStar
11-03-2002, 09:20 PM
Send a PM to waterdragon. He's got a shuai chiao mailing list that several masters post to. You can ask the question there.