PDA

View Full Version : Who Thinks SOuthern is better than Northern?

word
03-21-2000, 12:17 PM
who?

WildMan_Riot
03-21-2000, 01:14 PM
depends on what you mean by better.

Basically, Southern styles are BEST at achieving the following criteria!

1) spend more time on lion dancing
2) damaging your hands & body through conditioning exercises
3) becoming more "stiff" then before you started your training
4) Getting all hung up about the cantonese translation of the shape of a hand, such as tiger's claw, dragon's claw, snake head, leapord paw, tortise shell etc
5) doing very impressive form work but cannot fight
6) doing the same ole moves year after year after year and then being told that one day you'll know how to use it
7) doing warm up exercises that include 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 star jumps such that you're totally exhausted before training.
8) punching & kicking the air and at times hitting stationary targets
9) not sparring very often
10) be told that those techniques are actually very very deadly.

joe smoe2
03-21-2000, 05:35 PM
What? I dont no where you seen southern
arts but you have not seen much of them.

1. Southern dont dance much, this is usally found in the Northern arts.
2. We dont damage our hands, we do condition them, but I wouldnt think you would be able to tell by just looking at them.
3. I agree, we dont have much of the fairy dancing stuff found in much of the Northern arts, but we are anything but stiff.
3.We dont get hung up much on hand shapes, and we dont get hung up on looking like the animal, as found in the Nothern arts. (Northern is much more for show)
4. Impressive form work? No! you have them switched, Nothern are the ones who want to impress you with those long movements.Good for show, but very hard to fight with.
5. Yes, we do the same move year after year. They must become 2nd nature if you are going to be able to use them for selfdefense. Northern may learn 100's but cant use any of them.
6. The warm ups in traditional Southern schools are kept to the systems movements. Not much push ups ect, unless the teacher has not much to teach. Northern may spend a hour or so doing streching movements so they are loose enough to throw those sorry high kicks and long useless movements.
7. Most of southern training is with a partner, or bags, wooden dummy ect.
8. True not much what you would call sparing. Southern is not much for sparring, and more for selfdefence or fighting. sparring is for fun and show. Not to useful in the real world.
9. Do learn some deadly techniques, but this is found in all high level martial arts. Hard for Nothern to understand, much of their art is for entertainment, and sparring, and not very useful in defending themselfs.

Just my opinion, and before you go on telling me I dont know what Northern arts are? I have studied them 30 years ago, and have been all over ther world watching them. Yes; there are some good Nothern fighters out there. But much of what they do is Western kick boxing. There movements are good for excercise, or in the ring type fighting. As long as there are rules.
AGAIN THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!!!

Joe

xingyiman
03-21-2000, 08:54 PM
Xingyiquan(Hsing-i Chuan) is a northern style(at least the more traditional xingyi styles are) and I beleive that xingyiquan can beat any southern style, and any other style of martial arts in the world for that matter(except for maybe baguazhang(Pa Kua Chang), of course). We do not have the over extended long forms in xingyi. Don't have those sorry high kicks either.

Lost_Disciple
03-21-2000, 09:34 PM
I studied Hsing-Yi when I went to high school in Okinawa. I don't know who my sifu's sigung was, but I'm pretty sure the lineage went through Taiwan.
The forms we practised were:
Lien Kwan Quan
Ba Su Quan
Ba So Quan
5 element
Bird Form
I'm not sure as to the branch of hsing yi either; but I'm pretty sure it's not HeiBei (sp?).

I've seen a lot of the techniques of Hsing Yi in the mantis style I'm currently studying- another northern style. Actually, the Tam Tui form I'm currently doing (Sup Sei Lo- cantonese because our lineage passed through HK via Chin Wu); has a lot of Hsing Hi techniques.

As far as which style is better- i think it's totally up to the practisioner. There are many good Hung Gar & Choi Lay Fut fighters; just as there are many Hsing Yi & northern style fighters. Every style is different- you can't generalize a bunch of styles because of geographic area, every teacher is different- you can't generalize every teacher of a particular style, every student is different- you can't base your opinion of a style on one, or a few, practisioners.

I like the training theories of the south: strong stances, strength building exercises, power, low kicks, conditioning.
I also like the training theories of the north: fluidity, quickness, flexibility.

Styles strive to be complete- teaching a well-rounded cirriculum; but sometimes in order to be a more complete martial artist we need to stretch beyond the style, and include training techniques of other styles. When I say this, I'm referring strictly to working out and body conditioning, I think going on a technique-buffet from a bunch of different styles can often lead to: "jack of all trades, master of nothing". However, Southern stylists should be able to kick as high and move as fast as northern stylists- for it will help them. Northern stylists should be able to generate as much power behind a strike (with arms as hard) as southern stylists, with stances just as deep. I know most of this doesn't apply to hsing yi. In my opinion, Hsing Yi's strongest asset is it's transition from form to fighting. All martial artists should strive to be able to effectively use the techniques they learn in fighting situations.

xingyiman
03-21-2000, 10:09 PM
Sorry if I sounded arrogant, I know that was immature. I just said that to get a reaction, as I am currently researching Xingyiquan, and I was trying to find out if there any weaknesses to the style. I would also like information on the differences between the Northern and Southern Tiger styles. Thanks, and sorry :-)

Lost_Disciple
03-22-2000, 02:54 AM
I'm not sure about northern tiger style- I'm unfamiliar with it. I can say that the Tiger half of Hung Gar Tiger-Crane is characterized by low stances, powerful ripping claws. From what I've heard the tiger is the close range techniques, and that the crane is responsible for the long, circular punches.
The tension sets that Hung Gar is famous for is attributed to the Tiger.

I understand what you mean about Hsing Yi; and how you're making it an issue of research as opposed to trying to make cocky statements. The only things I was trying to mention are:
A. Not every student of the system is weakness-free, just because the system was designed that way.
B. There are many schools that can make the claim that they are complete (ie. Mantis, eagle claw, almost any cma).

Monkey
03-22-2000, 03:55 AM
Lost_Disciple
Based on the forms Ba Su Quan and Ba So Quan it would seem your lineage leads back to Hung I-Hsiang from Taiwam.

Kung Lek
03-22-2000, 03:59 AM
Hello-

All systems have their merit.

I find it a little unusual that those of you who attend soutern schools do not Lion Dance.

Lion Dance is of very high importance in the southern traditions and is less likely to be found in a Northern school.

Lion Dance refines and hones ones Kung Fu skills by the doing of it.

Please feel free to check out what small information we have at our school site on the connection of Lion Dance to Kung fu training.

It's at: www.mts.net/~jamieson (http://www.mts.net/~jamieson)

Peace all

------------------
Kung Lek

WildMan_Riot
03-22-2000, 12:56 PM
Southern school is ALL about lion dancing. Their whole school of KF is geared towards performance. Shake it to the left.... shake it to the right.... It's great to watch. They can't fight, but who cares, just sit back and enjoy the show!

Kenji
03-22-2000, 02:41 PM
Historically northern styles have been more dominant than the southern ones in full contact events and challenges. And generally the champions of the northern styles are known China wide but the southern ones are normally only known in their particular areas.

JoeSmoe, what northern styles did u study? Maybe u studied Wushu stuff in which case it is understandable why u think it's crap. And im my experience, southern schools does do more lion dancing stuff.

joe smoe2
03-22-2000, 05:42 PM
I studied a few of the Shaolin Northern Arts based on like most the five animals. I didnt mean to say i think they are crap. And yes there has been many known Nothern famous fighters. Anyway we hear more about those fighters. Most of this is self promotion, or there large school or organizations promoting this. I merely responed to The WILD MAN's comments. I am not going to duck anything. I do not think Norhtern arts are geared more towards the fighting aspects of the arts. I think it the opposite. If you are Nothern you will think they are. I dont.

Years ago when i was taking some of these arts i thought that most of what they taught was theory. It did not appear practical in any shape or form. I am refering to the ones that count on high kicking as 50 -60% of there system. Works good in these contests! Cause there is rules! Anytime you only have 1 leg on the ground you are not doing things very smart. Anytime you have to make a big wide movement to hit someone it is not wise. Again in contest, you will get away with it. If you are fighting someone who fights the same way, it will work good.

NOW! If this is what you think is good, GO FOR IT! I dont care!! Im sure your teacher can come up with thousands of reasons I am wrong. I dont care what he says. This is my oppinion. But one thing I have noticed through the years. As these masters of the Nothern arts get higher level in their art, they tend to look more like the short hand arts. They take out the useless movement, and look like they could be from a short hand southern branch. Again this is what I think. You will notice they make their kicks lower and shorter. The range of movement is shorter. The hands are 80% of any good fighting art. Legs are used for a good root, so you can transfer the power to the hands. The movement is as short as possible, so as to not create openings. Yes; there is some Nothern systems that take advantage of this. But they are mostly the so called internal Northern systems.

Further more usually when someone refers to themselfs as the "WILDMAN", they are not wild at all. And lion dancing, would change from school to school. Some teach it, and some do not.

Joe

WildMan_Riot
03-22-2000, 07:28 PM
Joe Smoe2

You can say all you like about Northern arts, but to say that I'm not wild really hurts my pride. I grow a long beard, ride a Harley, booze out all day and pick fights at the local bar. But on Sunday - i go to church and conduct sunday school - teaching kids how to be nice to one another. In the evenings I just go on a wild rioting rampage. The local law enforcement agency give me the name Wild Man Riot for gooood reasons!

Northern arts have VERY little high kicks. The legs are used to take out the opponents balance, knees, shins and also used for locking when you're in close. And you learn it at an early stage. Classical Northern styles are "no nonsense" in their approach. On the other hand Southern styles tend to be very stiff and impractical.

wedgie
03-22-2000, 08:25 PM
How's it goin peoples? Stirred up a bit of a hornets nest have we? I can see good and bad in both but I think that to say one is better than the other is a bit harsh. It all comes down to what you want from your art cause if you wanna fight youll learn to fight regardless of whether its north or south.

A lot of responsibility is placed on the sifu as basically not everyone wants the same thing from the art, as I'm sure you all are aware. Personally I want to be able to defend myself and my family in the quickest possible way!

Now if you wanna get technical the southern styles were supposedly taught in the shortest time possible as fighting was the main function for learning due to the rebellion. The northern styles having more time to master their arts placed more emphasis on the softer side.

Anyway this does make for an interesting evening and this little black duck from the wonderful land of OZ is in no way an expert but I do enjoy a good stir.

In case anyone was wondering I study southern -jow ga- and my wife who is sitting here next to me studies northern -seven star
mantis- and would hit me if I said anything bad about it!!!!!

I hope this debate does continue as it can only broaden our minds.

Lost_Disciple
03-22-2000, 08:48 PM
One reason I study, and love, 7 Star Preying Mantis so much is that it's pretty much a mix of both northern and southern, eventhough it's called northern.
Lo Kwang Yu took the lineage through Chin Mo, which went as far south as Macau.
At my school they teach lion dancing -though I'm not sure if the lion dancing was somehow passed by Hung Gar through Chin Wu.
I think it's useless comparing northern styles to southern styles. A style by style comparison would be easier. Not all aspects of northern styles resemble the wushu compulsory chang quan form. Not all southern styles can be typified by Hung Gar and Wing Chun.
Fukien is pretty southern, correct? Yet Fukien white crane is noted for long, flowing techniques- as well as some high kicks. Snake, as far as I know, is another southern style- this has acrobatics that aren't found in other southern styles (flying leg scissors). Hsing Yi is a good example of a northern style that doesn't "follow the rules". I don't see why people want to split the larger group of CMA into 2, bitter, smaller groups of northern and southern. If you're going to split it up, split it up on a style by style basis. Generalization and prejudice have never done anybody any good.

BTW- does anybody else take shuai chiau alongside another CMA? I've found that this has given me a WHOLE new outlook on technique, applications, and visualization.

joe smoe2
03-23-2000, 01:42 AM
Hey WILDMAN!

Yea; I seen the same movie, back in the 60's, and then Bill Jack came in and ruined his day. I always wondered about Billie Jack too? When he went out to kick butt, and I do mean KICK! he always took his shoes off? Why? WILDMAN; You do watch to much TV, but it would make a good movie. I mean your life.
I believe there is some good stuff in the Nothern systems. Im just sticking up for the southern systems. I dont like the southern stuff with the long range of movement. I dont care where its from. Just dont say these short hand southern boys cant fight. They may knock you off your Harley some night. And you think they a stiff cause you dont understand the training. Dont let your beard grow to long! It makes for a good handle to pull you off your Harley.

Maybe sometime will have a beer!

Joe

word
03-23-2000, 06:58 AM
Okay, I have the answer to the question of northern vs southern. It's a tie!! This is proven in a battle of Ku Yu Jeong (northern shaolin) and Tan Sam (Choy Li Fut). The two talked trash about each other's style. Northern people said southren arts were too simple and has ridiculous breating excercises. Southern people said " northern style? All the flashy, flying around stuff? One hit and I can knock them down." Well those weren't the exact words but yeah. One day they fought. The battle lasted 30 mintues. No one got hit. Everytime one would get close to a hit, the other would retreat just enough to get away and vice versa. The two master's timing and judgement was so great, no one got hit. So they ended up being friends. They made an agreement. Tan Sam was Hong Sing choy li fut by the way. Tan sam said that when his students train good to be top students, he will send them over to Ku Yu Jeong's northern shaolin school. Ku Yu Jeong said when he trains his students to be top students, he will send them to Tan Sam's choy li fut school. So this mixing of choy li fut and northern shaolin is how the style " BUK SING CHOY LI FUT" was developed. BUK SING choy li fut, is similar to hong sing, but has wider stances and a few crescent kicks. So this battle that took place in China - documented in the history books- proves that southern and northern styles are equal. =] It was just interesting reading what people thought about northern vs southern. What do you guys think? Cool eh?

David
03-23-2000, 03:56 PM
That's a lovely story.

I'd like to see southern mantis up against northern. Both styles are so full of it.

(speaking as a southern mantitioner and hoping not to offend any southern or northern brothers/sisters)

------------------
The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

[This message has been edited by David (edited 03-24-2000).]

Kenji
03-23-2000, 07:50 PM
Joesmoe,

What is this about self promotion? Yes in part it is self promotion but don't u think that if they did dat then they would have received many challenges? If they managed to keep up these "self promotion" as u say then their skills must have been pretty good to enable them to keep it going.

Please tell us specifically which northern styles did u study that they relied on 60-70% high kicks? I am having a hard time trying to figure out which of the various animal styles relies onb such a high percentage of high kicks. I can only think of wushu style derivatives which IMO are generally total crap. And if u think that these high kicks are used in actual combat then I don't think ur studies in the northern styles were very deep. Infact, I'd go on to say that u really only have had a very low exposure to northern arts.

I think also someone else along time ago have explained to u why northern styles' movements start out big and slowly become more compact and smaller as skills improved. Don't tell us that northern styles become more southern at high level. U make it sound as if southern arts have been on the rite path all along. Training theories are different. The only way to properly tell which is effective is to actually fight and if u read ur kf history abit more, more northern stylists have triumphed over their southern counterparts.

Jimbo
03-24-2000, 12:12 AM
I've studied both northern and southern (N. praying mantis, choy lee fut). The training methods and general theories are different, often extremely so. But at a high level there are similarities (flexible, multiple attacks, sensitivity, delivery of 'ging' in the movements, etc.).

N. Mantis included a few high kicks in the basic form I learned, but mostly the kicks were at the groin and knees, rarely to the heart level, or the legs were used for hooking, sweeping, etc.

We must remember that there is no superior art, only who the individual fighter is. In general, the northern fighters in the old days were larger and stronger than the southerners. Quite a few of them also practiced Shuai Jiao, too. It's also possible that in the above-mentioned contests, the northerners won most of the time because perhaps they were better-trained than the southerners who entered those contests.

An example: In the world kuo shu tournament in Taiwan in 1992, the Hong Kong team were Tibetan White Crane stylists. This particular team lost their matches easily to their Taiwanese opponents. The Taiwanese team trained specifically for that lei tai fighting, so were very comfortable and good at it. Does that mean that Tibetan White Crane is no good? Of course not. Different situation, different circumstance, different fighters. BTW, in most matches, the fighters' ability with Shuai Jiao throwing made all the difference. That particular Hong Kong team seemed unfamiliar with Shuai Jiao.

You can only pit individuals of styles against each other. And it will be different every time. Even if you fought the same guy every day for a year, it would never be exactly the same result, and you would win and lose sometimes.
Jim

WildMan_Riot
03-24-2000, 05:52 PM
Joe Smoe2

Yeah will have a beer sometime. When you curzzin on the open road and see a Harley in your rear mirror. HEY that's probably me - The Wild Man.

Yeah you're right about those arm swinging Southerners. A friend of mine practiced Hung Gar and kept swing his arms like a mad chimpanzee until he was all puffed out! Any way to cut a long story short - he is now an excellent free style swimmer and a great swimming coach.

Maybe Hung Gar was developed for swimming but someone had mistaken it for KF. **** I'm smart!!

Toddzilla
03-28-2000, 09:56 AM
You guys should see the Southern hands of Gor Chor. Very small, direct, effective, and soft. Combinations of Crane, Monkey, Tiger, and Tai Chor. Our 1st 4 sets are short, direct, and to the point.

------------------
It is better to have not fought at all, than to have won a thousand battles.- Chee Kim Thong

Very Ignorant Mantis
03-28-2000, 10:25 AM
Southern is better without a doubt. It's always been that way and always will be!

Oh, we're talking about Kung Fu? Nevermind. They are both great. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It was the Texan in me. Oh I wish I we're in the land of cotton....

Lost_Disciple
03-28-2000, 09:31 PM
VIM: I'm in texas too- Austin.
When u say, "the land of cotton", do you mean Lubbock?
PLEASE don't remind me that I gotta go back there in a few months. ;_;

WildMan_Riot
04-01-2000, 07:06 PM
Yeah I'm a Texan myself and I own a cattle ranche.

joe smoe2
04-01-2000, 07:21 PM
Riot
Do you need any help on your ranch? I never worked on a ranch, "but I punched a few cows"! Or maybe it was I dated a few Cows? I dont remeber, but anyway; I always wanted to live in Texas. You no what they say about Texas? He He He

Joe

Very Ignorant Mantis
04-01-2000, 11:33 PM
You never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he's not, you don't want to embarass him! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

04-03-2000, 09:31 AM
hmmm.....doesn't this topic seem a little childish to anyone? Anyway, here's my little bit on the northern vs southern...

Northern styles teach you to move fast, jump high and kick people hard in the head... All good and well.

Southern styles, teach you to stand still, watch for openings, Grab the nutts and poke the eyes...

Which is better? Personally I think poking someones eyes out and grabbing their nutts from a firm stance is a lot easier than jumping all over the place hoping for a hit.

I know, maybe this would be a better post... My sifu once told me this story...

There was once a northern stylist, who's kicks were as fast as lighting and just as powerfull. There was also a southern stylist at the time, and he had enough power in his arms to crush stones with his bare hands. Both were sure that their kung fu was the greatest in the world, so a challenge was issued.

The two stood at the foot of some moutain somewhere... the fight started, southern stylist grabs the northern stylist by the head, crushing his skull before the northern stylist even saw it comming, before dying, the northern stylists asks for the sothern stylist to let go... He does. And both masters drop to their deaths. (as soon as southern stylist let go, the northern styles kicked him in the chest piecing his heart).... Both masters died at the hands of the other.

So what does this rather stupid little story tell us? ....

Snake_Fist
04-04-2000, 11:14 PM
Hi, I practice Southern Gung-Fu and I read some of the post above....Some are very far off and some are...well....I would just like to share with you all a few of my schools theories about all of Gung-Fu.

Eight Skills of Gung-Fu
1)Swing fist as fast as meterors
2)Move the eyes as quick as lightning
3)Twist the waist as if a snake
4) Set your feet on the ground as if fastened by strong glue.
5) Be full of energy
6) Be calm and patient
7)Use your strength naturally
8) Achieve your Gung-Fu successfully.

3 Laws of Concentration
1) Eyes
2) Mind
3) Body posture.

there are many more I could share with you all if you like. But my point is that there is no one better art the the other (Northern/Southern) Its the spirit within the practioner the makes the style great.

Peace; Snake

WildMan_Riot
04-05-2000, 07:25 PM
I just like to say that i do need help on my ranche from time to time. it gets quite hectic and i like to spend some time cruzzin the open road on my Harley.

In terms of KF, Northern is definately better. How many time must i say this, Northern KF has VERY FEW high kicks. (sigh)

joe smoe2
04-06-2000, 07:05 AM
Wildman
Shut up! who cares what you think. Lifes to short for your kind of BS. Get a job.

Joe

WildMan_Riot
04-09-2000, 02:32 PM
Joe_Smoe2

I remember what me aunt Flo always say. Every one keeps rushing about, rushing, rushing rushing. Got to do his job, got to do that job. You know what, she makes the best pies in town. Anyway I'll be cruzzin to Vagas to live it up this weekend. Who knows I might make my second million and donate it to the local church building fund. I'm a wild man and the bad lands are my home.

IronBuddha
04-13-2000, 09:14 PM
time for my 2 cents worth.

almost all of you seem to have misconceptions about Northern Shaolin.
first off, i know only 2 jumping kicks. in application, they are not kicks.
the highest targets we will kick at are the hips and groin.
if your Sifu has you jumping and leaping around like a ballerina, then you are learning ballet.
as for N vs S, i can only speculate. a
sh!tty fighter of any style will lose to a better trained opponent.

Snake_Fist
04-13-2000, 10:29 PM
Iron, tell me of your two kicks....Is one the butterfly?? How about jumping side thrust?? Ohhh I know Tornado kick...oops it can't be that one...that targets the head area....hummm...My school teaches both Northern and Southern and I take Southern and the kicks I have learned so far are from both systems. They include Dragons Tail Kick, Butterfly Kick, Inside/Outside Cresents, Side Thrust, Round House, Hook Kick, Tornado Kick, jumping side kick, and jumping siccors Kick. Now I am a Southern Stylist ....Tell which of these kicks are considered Northern or considered Southern?

Peace
Snake

dooder
04-14-2000, 01:18 AM
I don't studie to fight. I studie to studie. Why is everyone so caught up in this? Where's your humility? Be a good student and when the fight has to happend you'll be alright. No matter what style you studie. If your rigid you'll break, in your fighting and your thoughts.

IronBuddha
04-15-2000, 01:18 PM
Snake_Fist

you jump around too much.

RFM
04-15-2000, 04:17 PM
I do.

WildMan_Riot
04-16-2000, 02:02 PM
Snake Fist
You sure have fancyful names for kicks. Are you sure you're learning real kung fu and not wushu. Those jumping and spinning around acrobatics are not much use for fighting.

Snake_Fist
04-16-2000, 04:42 PM
I take Sourhten Kung-Fu, Hung Gar, Sil lum Pia, At my school there is also Wu-Shu I am on the demo Team so we practice many Northern jumps and things because it is a better stretch and warm up. I am studying Snake Fist, Tiger Crane Boxing, and bits of the other animal styles, but mostly Snake Fist. As for my last post the kicks i mentioned were not all from a Northern style and they are not all done in the air. As for the fancy name....hay I didn't name them...thats CMA.

and why didnt Iron answer the question about the different kicks??? Is it possible that your not really sure??? Anyway....Peace

Snake

IronBuddha
04-16-2000, 07:45 PM
Snake_Fist

the 2 kicks i am referring to are a jumping forward kick and a jumping crescent. the nomenclature is not very important to me. it's the kung fu that matters.
reviewing the posts, it occured to me that maybe i do not study 'typical' Northern kung fu. the kung fu i learn is Iron Palm based and heavy on the shuai jiao. shuai jiao is not well known for it's flashy kicks.

[This message has been edited by IronBuddha (edited 04-17-2000).]

Snake_Fist
04-16-2000, 11:23 PM
Ohhh...Sorry I must have missunderstood your post....I agree with you about the flashy kicks....I do not feel they would help too much in an incounter unless you have matered them....my only point was there is more than just two kicks in Northen....I myself don't like all the jumpimg around I do in my school..thats one of the reasons I choose Sourthern, But the strech is better and the flex you gain help a Southern Stylist.....errr...gotta go boss needs somthing....
peace
Snake

IronBuddha
04-17-2000, 08:27 AM
Snake_Fist,

just to further clarify -- i stated that those were the only 2 jumping kicks i knew, not the only 2 in existance LOL

Mantis One
04-17-2000, 09:02 AM
Okay, I have the answer to the question of northern vs southern. It's a tie!! This is proven in a battle of Ku Yu Jeong (northern shaolin) and Tan Sam (Choy Li Fut). The two talked trash about each other's style. Northern people said southren arts were too simple and has ridiculous breating excercises. Southern people said " northern style? All the flashy, flying around stuff? One hit and I can knock them down." Well those weren't the exact words but yeah. One day they fought. The battle lasted 30 mintues. No one got hit. Everytime one would get close to a hit, the other would retreat just enough to get away and vice versa. The two master's timing and judgement was so great, no one got hit. So they ended up being friends. They made an agreement. Tan Sam was Hong Sing choy li fut by the way. Tan sam said that when his students train good to be top students, he will send them over to Ku Yu Jeong's northern shaolin school. Ku Yu Jeong said when he trains his students to be top students, he will send them to Tan Sam's choy li fut school. So this mixing of choy li fut and northern shaolin is how the style " BUK SING CHOY LI FUT" was developed. BUK SING choy li fut, is similar to hong sing, but has wider stances and a few crescent kicks. So this battle that took place in China - documented in the history books- proves that southern and northern styles are equal. =] It was just interesting reading what people thought about northern vs southern. What do you guys think? Cool eh?

WildMan_Riot
04-17-2000, 07:35 PM
Snake_Fist.
Cool. What's snake fist about? Always thought that snake was part of a larger system. Anyway about those kicks, you see different styles have different names for the same types of kicks. Afterall, there are only a few many ways a human leg can move.

It is not merely the act of kicking (which can be learned in a short time - that's the simple part) What's imortant is the strategy in using it - that's different depending on what system you train in.

MoQ
04-21-2000, 02:07 PM
Odd Topic for a Southern Forum...

It seems the labels of "Northern" and "Southern" are abit too broad to be of any use, but here's a couple wasted comments...

Everyone has heard the "Southern hands/Northern feet" axiom... Which could be expanded to infer that each School has gross misconceptions of the other...i.e. If you think Northern Styles are all just dancey Wushu, or Southern is all grunting Hung Ga, you don't have a clue...

Hsing-I may very well be technically Northern, but the signature movement is classically Southern... The conservative kicking and sticking/iron bridge handwork of 7* Mantis makes it fit in here too... as well as the explosiveness of Bajiquan...

I think someone is confusing Fukien White Crane and Tibetan White Crane...

There are no animal forms in the original 10 Honan Shaolin...

The most painfully ignorant posts seem to dislike Choy Li Fut and Hung Ga... Most of the best Southern Styles do not use deep stances OR arm swinging much, if at all...

Southern Styles are "hung up" on Cantonese because Mandarin terms are improper and inauthentic for these systems and denote an unqualified Shi Fu...

Shuai Jiao is Mongolian and has nothin' to do with N. Shaolin... not even Chinese in origin.

I don't think I've ever heard so many references to Lion Dancing... SOMEONE is obsessed, though... Southern forms prance very little... maybe everybody wants to be in ShowBiz... Anyone have a Lion outfit for sale?... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Okay...
I'm done...
go ahead and delete me...
*yawn*

shaolin_allan
04-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Me personally I have trained in both northern and southern kung fu. I am currently training in Hsing-I Hebei style as well as northern 5 animals but I have also trained in wing chun. What I can honestly say is basically repeating what others have said. You will find a mixture of northern and southern characteristics in both systems of kung fu. The truth is unless you compare styles against eachother, it is impossible to compare the two. You will find northern and southern versions of many kung fu styles and a lot of them will share the same types of punches, breathing exercises and kicks. After all, we only have two arms and two legs. Basically it isn't what is better but what you personally look for in an art. With determination and a love for martial arts you can become a great fighter regardless of what style you do.

ChinoXL
04-20-2006, 12:41 AM
I have practiced both; as for southern (took choy lay fut).. there was so much kicks that was taught i swear to god it felt like i was in a TKD school, very wide stance, and a lot of trapping involved; however as for northern (tan tuei) i only saw the snap and push kick, the rest are moves used from forms; from MY experiences i would think in my opinion that north is better.

My friend told me southern kung-fu is used by peasents; and northern were used by royal guards etc.. pi qua of shaolin, and even baji are all used by the guards and choy lay fut, hung gar, wing chun was practiced all over.. from what i've heard think about it.

However I also heard that in historical times that the southerners won the battles that were issued north and south not vice-versa.

viper
04-20-2006, 06:27 AM
ere build a bridge. What a thread talk about starting crap who cares where it comes from if it works use it. My system "traditional wing chun" I use the name loosly so not to start more junk but I use boxing bjj n aikido and tai chi it works i use it. Would you not use a fork if it was from the second draw instead of the first no so boys n girls stop measuring. oh yeah if aliens came to take over earth would you talk trash bout northern vs southern no youd all biff the aliens together then steal there kewl stuff think of it like that we are all humans well most of us so get along and just fight train sleep fight train sleep over and over.

Ben Gash
04-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Why has someone randomly resurrected a pre-crash thread (and how? does this mean my old Wan King fist threads are still around somewhere?) ?

David Jamieson
04-20-2006, 08:05 AM
blame shaolin_allan

he brought back this 6 year old thread.

and now...well, he must die, plain and simple. :p

Lam Tong Long
04-25-2006, 03:51 PM
3)Twist the waist as if a snake

Does a snake have a waist?????

golden arhat
04-26-2006, 01:31 AM
lets end this 6 year old thread and realise the truth

THE MAN MAKES THE FIGHT NOT THE STYLE AND ALL MARTIAL ARTS HAVE SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT THEM OR THEY WOULDNT SURVIVE USDING HIGH KICKS OR LOW STANCES SOUTHERN OR NORTHERN IS ALL PEOPLES PREFERENCE AS IN WHAT WORKS FOR THEM!;)

Hard Fists
04-27-2006, 08:41 AM
trolling???

GeneChing
05-02-2006, 10:04 AM
But demerits for choosing such a lame thread to resurrect. At least, it hasn't turned into the flame war it was six years ago. That was just silly.

X-Warrior
05-02-2006, 10:38 AM
... That was just silly.

... and it still is.

Glad I stayed away from this one.

-X-

Sui
05-02-2006, 05:06 PM
well you the expert arn't you "silly" sosage.lol

dig boy dig.hahahahalol

WinterPalm
05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
This thread is ridiculous! Come on...southern versus northern??? Really, I think by now everybody knows that southern is vastly superior.

Samurai Jack
05-03-2006, 03:34 AM
"Well east coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And the southern girls with the way they talk
They knock me out when I’m down there

The mid-west farmer’s daughters really make you feel alright
And the northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be california
I wish they all could be california
I wish they all could be california girls"

From the above, is it not obvious that the Northern Girls are superior? I'm sorry, but a lady that won't stop talking until you're unconscious does not a good time make.

Fu-Pow
05-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Personally I think Eastern is better than Northern:rolleyes: .......but that's just me!!!;)

WinterPalm
05-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Think about it in terms of the United States and the north/south split. Who is ruling? Let's get this going onto the political realm...In fact, I think this thread should be stickied and go through many transformations as it evolves from jaded beaten topic to jaded beaten topic.

Here's one...
It's not the style it is the person...But MMA is better because of how they train so it is about the style.:D

GeneChing
05-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Isn't southern MMA better than northern MMA? :p

gregdread
05-03-2006, 10:47 PM
This must be an argument that has probably been going on as long as these arts have been practiced.

After reading a few streams to this thread I realize there are a lot of stereotypes about both northern and southern styles and, like all stereotypes, there is a bit of truth in those descriptions. When speaking to my Segung recently about the differences he discusssed his take on how Northern styles are influenced by the Daoist belief, while the Southern styles are based on the Buddhist belief system (e.g., northern styels tend to be internally oriented, looking inward for power; while southern styles tend to deal mosty with the external, effecting the impact of power.) While I'll admit this is may be a generalization, it obvioulsy bares a kernal of truth, as shown by the streams above. Especially if you consider the prodominant Northern styles popularly practiced (Tai Chi, Xing I, BaQua) and prodominant southern styles practiced (CLF, Hung Gar, Wing Chung). But this theory misses that point of how all styles, in some way, incorporate both internal and physical aspects. They just tend to concentrate on one aspect more than another. It also leaves out those that styles that seem to combine both in their forms (Praying Mantis, Crane, Dragon).

As the wise Master Bruce Lee showed, one can learn something from all styles, once a person has mastered a "core" style. They can then make up there own style from what they have learned from their core and more. CLF, itself, is an example of how different styles can be combined to come up with an effective fighting form.

Personally, I think comparing the two is like comparing red and white wines. Both are special and exceptional in their own ways, and each offer their own unique flavor. When it comes right down to it, whether one choices to practice either a northern or southern style, it is the act of practicing a martial art at all is what matters. For some northern styles are more effective, while for others a southern style would be effective; and this can be based on something as simple as a person's body type, their age, or their physical ability/agility. In the final analysis, it's up to practitioner to develop their martial art to defend themselves, but it is also practical to, at the same time, develop an understanding of not only the physical, but spiritual and health aspects of the art they choose to practice.

David Jamieson
05-04-2006, 05:26 AM
you know, if you keep going with that train of thought, you'll get mired in the minutia and start to see how meaningless the argument is to begin with.

in truth, the differences are superficial and not important overall. ONce kungfu is achieved, geographical differences, names, pais all that stuff is a wash really.

but that's just my opinion.