PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Boxing

Budokan
11-01-2002, 12:31 PM
I want to practice my fighting techniques when I'm solo. Do you guys shadow box? And if so, and more importantly, *how* do you do it? It's a concept I've never fully understood, I'm afraid....

KC Elbows
11-01-2002, 12:40 PM
I don't usually shadow box(actually use my shadow as an opponent for timings sake). I've done it, but not all that often.

However, I will basically shadow box in the sense of fighting a non existent opponent when sparring partners aren't available.

Basically, I visualize and opponent attacking me/fighting me. The catch is, if I think of the opponent's attack too consciously, then I usually don't respond in time, so I'm hit. At first, I just work on visualizing the opponent's positioning, and manuever and attack that way. As I get more into it, I can visualize attacks and such without having to think about it.

Of course, this is not the only way I look crazy to my neighbors, but it is a good way.

logic
11-01-2002, 03:56 PM
The reason I shadow box is just for my speed, dodge and weaving practice, and it warms me up. I also wear wrist weights when I shadow box. I do find it increases my speed.

yenhoi
11-01-2002, 05:53 PM
Start in fighting stance. Move around a little bit. Move forwards, backwards, side to side, lunge maybe. Keep your footwork economical, your not dancing for other people. Keep your guard up and alive, move your hands around a bit. Punch. Keep it simple, punch again, move around. Move forward, punch, move back, punch. Now that your warmed up and hopefully have a beat goin, let your opponent enter the ring or mat or whatnot. Move around.Gauge your opponent, how big are his arms, how long, long legs, how does he move his head and hands....exchange a few blows, how is he reacting, is he aggressive, or does he retreat or what!? Mirror him - do what he does, retreat when he advances. Then mix it up, go in for it, try and knock him out with a well placed combo - he defends and moves and counters, and so do you - dodge left, dodge right, jump or hop to avoid that hook or the clinch, circle around his left..... etc

When the bell rings rest for a minute and get ready for round II.

Budokan
11-01-2002, 06:58 PM
What you're saying is you're using your imagination to "see" your opponent. I actually thought you boxed your shadow...!?

Does this technique work better (or at all) if you're standing in front of a mirror?

SevenStar
11-01-2002, 08:09 PM
standing in front of a mirror helps greatly as it lets you see your form. You can make corrections in your technique while you are training. Also, I suppose it can be of benefit if you can't visualize an opponent. Heck, if I had some of you guys' reflection, I'd be trying to fight too - or trying to run away :D

Mr Punch
11-01-2002, 09:38 PM
He's as fast as me, he seems to anticipate everything I do, and when I run away he's always one step behind me...:eek: :(

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!

No_Know
11-01-2002, 10:08 PM
While shadowboxing likely got it's name as an idiom-ie of you're fighting but no one's there but your shadow.

You wouldn't be silly nor stupid for thinking shadow boxing was boxing your shadow.

A way to do this is do a technique. Watch the shadow. The shadow mimicks you. When you technique faster than your shadow you are doing something nicely. The greater the difference between your action and the shadow's, the better.

Solo training: yes Imagine. Imagine the attacks and the opponents. If you imagine seemingly impossible situations you can improve.

When you do a technique you should See what you are reacting to...Imagine that you Will be punched in the face if you don't move one way or the other. Not so much imaging a whole fight (perhaps the origninal concept), as seeing particular situations to hone skill in understanding techniqe.

I have a technique that is a response to a punch to the face. I No_Know which fist the imaginary-ish opponent will use until it's happening. If I do not enact the technique before I imagine the punch connecting I sigh, then Start again, waiting for the punch.

The technique after the first part (avoid the punch to the face), is merely walk-through. Opposed to real-time. The purpose is to familiarize myself with the technique. The beginning is the most important. I am not yet at a stage where more of the technique is real-time besides the beginning.

JusticeZero
11-01-2002, 10:10 PM
I throw techniques, combinations, etc at a folding chair, post, or tree. 1, I can keep eye contact with the top of the object if I do that. Two, I can move around the entire circumference of the object.

HuangKaiVun
11-03-2002, 12:58 PM
I don't shadowbox, but I mirrorbox.

I can pinpoint weaknesses in my technique when I see what I'm doing.

Qi dup
11-03-2002, 01:23 PM
I agree with yenhoi's description. Make sure you are visualizing all different attacks, things you wouldn't always expect. For some reason I used to always visualize someone leading with a jab and falling right into my trap. Well, turns out it doesn't always happen like that.

:)

Merryprankster
11-04-2002, 03:43 AM
Budokan,

Great for practicing footwork, and by extension, balance. Go easy, don't snap things out there, and never fully extend at full speed (bad juju for the elbows). Some people swear by weights. They hurt my elbows and a couple of other guys I know too, so that's individual.

I used to work on moving and throwing simultaneously, and specific movements, like slip, half-step forward and right, throw right, slip, half-step forward and left, throw left, box and star patterns, level changes, etc.

Dragon Warrior
11-04-2002, 06:37 AM
No Know

"A way to do this is do a technique. Watch the shadow. The shadow mimicks you. When you technique faster than your shadow you are doing something nicely. The greater the difference between your action and the shadow's, the better."

You gotta be kidding. I cant beieve someone actually wrote this.

Merryprankster
11-04-2002, 06:53 AM
I personally always move faster than light.

No_Know
11-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Dragon Warrior why do you say you can't believe it?

MerryPrankster, of course you do. You're MerryPrankster! :-)

Dragon Warrior
11-04-2002, 06:28 PM
No know

you cant move faster than your shadow. It's as simple as that.

No_Know
11-05-2002, 03:29 AM
You seem to think that if you can't achieve it don't try. I think If I can't achieve it I stay motivated to keep trying. This way I get to improve without a ceiling/without me limiting myself.

Even though I might be limited myself. If I reach for an impossible physical goal, I begin to see beyond current conventions*. And I then have the potential to improve Beyond what I Thought was possible, If there Is more than I understood there to be.

*conventiontion-A widely used and accepted device or technique, as in drama, literature, or painting: the theatrical convention of the aside. (definition 5., at dictionary.com)

Kristoffer
11-05-2002, 05:49 AM
moron :D

KC Elbows
11-05-2002, 07:01 AM
Frankly, it was always my understanding that shadow boxing, in referrence to actually using your shadow or a mirror, was meant to drive you to react faster precisely because your speed will always effectively be the shadows speed.

In other words, No Know is correct, and I'd say if you get to the point where you beat your shadow to the punch, I'll be listening for the sonic boom.:D

Just because an idea sounds rediculous in its end goal does not mean that it would not be a great practice method. End goals are overrated, anyway.

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 07:17 PM
I generally practice in front of a mirror or attack some inanimate object with various combinations. Mostly I'll practice my footwork when solo. But I don't shadowbox in the traditional sense of the word.