11-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Raging Bull

WinterPalm
11-01-2002, 09:02 PM
Once were soliders.

P.S. Brotherhood of the wolf was lame.

OdderMensch
11-01-2002, 10:25 PM
and brotherhood wasn't lame, it was French. ;)

Former castleva
11-02-2002, 10:17 AM
I am yet to see a martial arts movie going beyond public eye appealing ash kicking and "wit!.
I´´ve heard "karate kid"´s good.

nospam
11-02-2002, 10:21 AM
and brotherhood wasn't lame, it was French.

:D

nospam.
:cool:

Chang Style Novice
11-02-2002, 04:25 PM
The Honor of Dong Feng Xu

Kinda tough to find, though. I happened upon it purely by accident.

mantis108
11-02-2002, 04:31 PM
SPIDER-MAN :)

1)Learn the catch phrase: with great powers come great responsibilities. :p

2) We need to know how to design the best looking custume. No silk pj just spendex tights. :D

3) Get to say no to the gal (IMHO the hottest chick). That's the coolest part. Sad but coolest thing to do. :eek:

Mantis108

eulerfan
11-02-2002, 04:32 PM
Because I think the only really good MA movies are the really bad MA movies, I'm going to have to go with American Ninja. All of them. Watch them all, back to back, with your funniest friends and lots of beer.

Very nice.

Chang Style Novice
11-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Oh, there's actually a few quality ones out there. A VERY few.

Which is not to discount the pleasure of mocking the bad ones while catching a buzz. When I was about 7, I thought Inframan was the greatest movie of all time. Drunk and high enough, I could probably still be convinced.

rogue
11-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Patriot
The Last of the Mohicans
Above the Law
Black Hawk Down
My Wedding Night video.

Because I think the only really good MA movies are the really bad MA movies, I'm going to have to go with American Ninja. All of them. Watch them all, back to back, with your funniest friends and lots of beer.

Do that and you'll have to change your name to droolerfan.

Chang Style Novice
11-02-2002, 05:14 PM
I thought Patriot (the mel gibson one, right?) sucked out loud.

But hey, it's just strokes and folks.

rogue
11-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Let's check the profile.... Yup what I figured a Texan.

You can replace The Patriot with The Alamo.:D

BTW Wipe the BBQ sauce off of your chin.

Chang Style Novice
11-02-2002, 05:20 PM
heh heh heh

Like my mexican friends like to say..."The South will rise again! But these crackers don't realize how far south..."

rogue
11-02-2002, 05:31 PM
The South will rise again! Who said we ever really fell!:D

eulerfan
11-02-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by mantis108
SPIDER-MAN :)
Mantis108

I'd ammend that to ANYTHING by Sam Raimi. Esp. Evil dead trilogy.

Stacey
11-02-2002, 06:10 PM
Just watched spider man, nice, slow martial arts. I loved the high school bully fight.

cha kuen
11-02-2002, 08:13 PM
Prodigal Son
Fist of Legend
Shaolin temple 1 and 2 (Jet Li movie)
Iron Monkey
Wing Chun (donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh)

-cha kuen
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Ryu
11-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Anything done by me..........

............ Give me some time.

Ryu

SanSoo Student
11-02-2002, 11:16 PM
the 36th chamber...great stuff
fong sai yuk 2..best sword fight at the end.
But THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS....
UNCLE IS THEEEEEEE BEST!!!!

OdderMensch
11-02-2002, 11:16 PM
http://www.theonion.com/onion3613/south_postpones.html

Qi dup
11-03-2002, 01:42 PM
Rocky.

Qi dup
11-03-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by rogue
Patriot
The Last of the Mohicans
Above the Law
Black Hawk Down
My Wedding Night video.

You had martial arts on your wedding night? Sweet!

neptunesfall
11-03-2002, 03:19 PM
a fistful of yen (the middle part of kentucky fried movie)

Nevermind
11-04-2002, 07:47 AM
I just watched Bloody Avengers over the weekend. It stars the late Alexander Fu Sheng (one of my favorites), Chi Kuan Chun, and Liang Jia Ren. It's about the Boxer Rebellion. I have never seen such a high level of bravery in any other movie. See for yourself. By the way, how is The Patriot considered a MA movie? Just curious.

norther practitioner
11-04-2002, 02:57 PM
Ok, well, I'm sort of the Kung fu movie buff of the area. I prob. own in the neiborhood of 210 kung fu movies now and have seen numerous others. Unfortunately, I'm at work, so I can't even begin to remember the names of some of them.
Here it goes
what I remember right now:

Training sequences,
Snake in the Eagles Shadow, about 50 minutes in there is a phat sequence

of course:
36th chamber
Fury in Shaolin
and there is one more with Gordon, the name slips me now

Good fights (with wires)
Iron Monkey
CTHD
Matrix
New Legend of Shaolin
The Legend (Don't remember specifics with the wires)

Good fights (without wires)
Shaolin V. Lama
(I'll have to look, I can't remember the names right now)
Shaolin Red Master
Shaolin V. Wutang

Funny
Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu
Drunken Master

Funniest "movie" styles
Goose fist boxer
The Chicken style in Death Duel of the Mantis
And I can't find this in any of my movies, but I remember watching someone do crab fist, prob. one of the funniest looking styles ever.

If anyone can find this in a movie please let me know, I would love to add that movie to my collection.

rogue
11-04-2002, 03:41 PM
You had martial arts on your wedding night? Sweet! Yeah, she sobered up realized what she had done and kicked the snot out of me.:D

By the way, how is The Patriot considered a MA movie? Just curious. There was a fight scene or two in it, and they were great.

Golden Arms
11-04-2002, 05:05 PM
I have a pretty large collection too. If what you were looking for was movies with Crab Style, the two that first jump to mind are Shaolin vs. Ninja, and Snake Deadly Act (I am pretty sure its in that one) Oh, and to stay OT:

Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu : Possibly the best non wire weapons fights in an old school movie, period.

Knockabout : Old movie with Sammo Hung, if you like old school, this one has some seriously impressive stuff as well.

-Golden Arms-

Shisio
11-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Hard boiled, Most Kurashwa films, and the Borne Identity

MightyB
11-05-2002, 07:22 AM
The Count of Monte Cristo. The new one that was just released. You have to get the DVD version and watch the choreography documentary. Unfortunately, they cut some really cool stuff out of the release, but you can see it in the Choreography doc.

Fight Club

Snatch

Don't forget old school Segal. Yeah, I know his new stuff and his acting suck, but Hard to Kill, Above the Law, Marked for Death, Undersiege 1 & 2, and the Glimmer Man all had rock solid fight scenes.

Delta Force 2

Gross Point Blank

...and so much more.

NorthernMantis
11-05-2002, 10:29 AM
Ok, well, I'm sort of the Kung fu movie buff of the area. I prob. own in the neiborhood of 210 kung fu movies now and have seen numerous others

That's nothing some dude in skarbs movie fu forum claims to have almost a thousand movies in his libraries. Not that I beleive hi but if it's true I'm moving into his basement:D .

Stranger
11-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Conan the Barbarian (aka Conan I)

apoweyn
11-05-2002, 10:54 AM
there's a lot of movies in this thread that i thoroughly enjoyed but probably wouldn't consider a martial arts movie. hard boiled, for example. my favorite movie ever, i think. but predominantly gunplay. not enough martial arts for me to consider it a martial arts movie. (but that's obviously really subjective.)

i've seen entirely too many, both american-made and hong kong, to narrow it down very far. but to name a few:

1) fist of legend (yuen woo ping AND jet li: no brainer)
2) best of the best (this is how i always envisioned taekwondo should be)
3) angeltown (loves me some olivier gruner)
4) shaolin temple (classic)

and on and on and on...

guohuen
11-05-2002, 11:52 AM
The Blind Swordsman.

ewallace
11-05-2002, 11:53 AM
Big Trouble In Little China. 'Nuff said.

Ryu
11-05-2002, 12:07 PM
The Royal Tenerbaums....

:D

norther practitioner
11-05-2002, 01:47 PM
NorthernMantis: I counted them again....
Yeah, I know people with more too, but my roomate owns like 65-80 kung fu movies (these I'm talking old school style, but would include things like iron monkey, which was released in like '93). Plus one of my best friends has his own collection of 199 movies (he said he didn't want to buy any more, he thinks after 200 it's concidered a problem). All in all, I only own less than half of what I've seen. But whatever.

Oh, and I missed that one Golden Arms. I'm def. a big fan of Gordon Lui

dre
11-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Ghost Dog.

[Censored]
11-05-2002, 03:18 PM
Yin Yang Master is every bit as good as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. But apparently nobody knows about it.

NorthernMantis
11-05-2002, 10:33 PM
lol yeah the problem with 200 it's tha it is too little;)

Blackspear
11-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Red Storm Riders : is awesome and part two of it two which has a different name , but i cant remember its name right now.

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF KUNG FU, DUEL TO THE DEATH(awesome fight scene in the end)

Thundering Mantis

I also have about 275 movies maybe a lil more most are shaw brothers though doesnt get better than run behind the scenes

Sleemie
11-06-2002, 11:53 AM
Okay....where's the best place to get these movies at a good price...of course on the net I mean, unless it's the DC area.

Blackspear
11-06-2002, 12:00 PM
Try running a search for shaw brothers

cogg
11-13-2002, 02:41 PM
Mystery of chess boxing,

36th chamber of shaolin ,

oh and just bought 'the legend of red dragon' (jet Li)

heres a question that someone mite be able to answer: is 'the return to 36 chambers' the same as shaolin drunken monk, because my copy of return has a different description on the back that actually happens in te film but is exactly the same as sdm

some other recomendations are:
shaolin vs ninja (not as corny as it sounds)
shaolin vs lama
and the fighting of shaolin monks (perculiar story of Tamo)

cogg
11-14-2002, 07:17 AM
will definately try and get hold of a copy of New legend of Shaolin. thanx for the recommendation!

i almost forgot.... try out Iron Fisted Monk, very entertaining, especially when Sammo tries to take his friend the monk into a brothel.

apoweyn
11-14-2002, 08:12 AM
sleemie,

Originally posted by Sleemie
Okay....where's the best place to get these movies at a good price...of course on the net I mean, unless it's the DC area.

do yourself a big favour. go to alexandria, virginia (old town) and join video vault. self proclaimed 'worst movies in town.' they specialize in renting cult movies. outstanding horror, scifi, action, AND HONG KONG sections. you'll be able to check out for yourself some of these titles without committing to buying them.

stuart b.

apoweyn
11-14-2002, 08:13 AM
"I am gonna take my right foot and kick you in the left side of your face and there's not gonna be a damm thing you can do about it"...
... you know who said that of course....

of course. :)

apoweyn
11-14-2002, 08:15 AM
cogg,

just bought shaolin vs. ninja on DVD. an old favorite. it's still pretty good.

wasn't as crazy about shaolin vs. lama. but still not bad.

stuart b.

shaolin_allan
10-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I am an avid fan of martial arts movies. I've seen a lot of the recent Donnie Yen movies, and others like ong bak 3, raging phoenix, chocolate, True Legend, and I saw all 3 ip man movies. Can anyone recommend me some other good ones to watch? i've basically run out of ideas. Also has anyone noticed the quality of some of the newer korean martial arts movies to come out like shadowless sword?

GeneChing
10-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Follow our recent purchases (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48113) thread. That's the best one for mini-reviews and recommendations. The stand-out films like you mentioned have all earned their own independent threads on this forum, but for the latest DVD/BRD releases (along with the occasional pirated version), recent purchases is the most recent. It's great for the classics as well as the fresh stuff. Start at the end of the thread and work your way back to the beginning.

Jimbo
10-11-2010, 09:44 AM
As for Korean martial arts-related movies, the only two that I might recommend are: Musa (The Warrior) and City of Violence. Of the two, COV has more stylized violence, (i.e., Taekwondo), and IMO was more entertaining, but it seems to have gotten mixed reviews on other forums. There is another one I haven't seen yet, called Fighter in the Wind, about the life of Kyokushinkai karate founder Mas Oyama that sounds interesting. But for the most part, I can't get into the Korean MA movies in the same way I can a good Chinese or Thai MA movie.

Are you mainly into recent MA films, or are you open to old-school movies as well? Because there are loads of great ones, but the tempo, the styles, the effects, etc., are going to be different, as you know. Here is a small list of some of them (plus some newer ones, too) you might want to check out:

Shaolin Prince. (1983)
Five Element Ninjas. (1982)
The Prodigal Son. (1981)
Warriors Two. (1978)
Heroes Two. (1974)
Martial Club. (1981)
The Master. (1981)
36th Chamber of Shaolin. (1978)
Return to the 36th Chamber. (1980)
Five Deadly Venoms (1978)
Return of the Five Deadly Venoms (a.k.a., Crippled Avengers). (1978)
Disciples of Shaolin. (1975)
Shaolin Intruders. (1979)
8 Diagram Pole Fighter (will be released on DVD later this month). (1983)
Fist of Legend (1994).
So Close (2002).

There are some really great Sammo Hung and/or Jackie Chan films that either haven't been released on DVD, or aren't currently available, but are very good:

Wheels on Meals. (1984)
Dragons Forever. (1987)
The Pedicab Driver. (1989)

GeneChing
09-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Best Martial Arts Movies on Amazon Prime Right Now (https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/best-martial-arts-movies-amazon-prime/)

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/best-martial-arts-movies.jpg?resize=768%2C432

Threads
must-see-martial-art-movies (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?17378-must-see-martial-art-movies)
Martial-Art-Action-Movies-You-Like (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?8288-Martial-Art-Action-Movies-You-Like)

GeneChing
09-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Best Martial Arts Movies on Netflix Right Now (https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/best-martial-arts-movies-netflix/)

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/martial-arts-movies-netflix.jpg?resize=768%2C432

Threads
must-see-martial-art-movies (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?17378-must-see-martial-art-movies)
Martial-Art-Action-Movies-You-Like (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?8288-Martial-Art-Action-Movies-You-Like)