PDA

View Full Version : technique, combonations, fighting and focus

draco
11-02-2002, 12:36 PM
I practice Wah Lum PM, Kempo and numerous other forms from other styles where combinations and techniques have been extracted. I practise these forms and combonations to stay allert, physically co-ordinated so when attacked I may defend myself. Entering a fight with a larger or smaller skilled fighter doesn't mean I'm going to use any combonation or technique from form. A fight is a fight, a huge gap from self defense. I'm certain there are people skilled enough, lucky enough, strong enough to give a clean strike to end any fight within seconds.

I'm not writing to brag, bash or boast I'm better than anyone or that I even know how to fight, I claim to know nothing. I chose what I say, what I write, how I practice and what I practise. I am who I am. I would like to read your experience and good word.

Tell me what is your focus thus far as a MA practitioner/fighter/dreamer?

Stacey
11-02-2002, 06:22 PM
some day I want to be riding in back of you on one of those airport conveyor belts. The escalator for people too lazy to walk. I want to be there and when your glancing at the people off to the side, I want to kick you in the chode and then hop over the railing and stand there as the conveyor belt takes you away.

draco
11-03-2002, 07:57 AM
heh, heh, heh.. your just as crazy as I am...

HuangKaiVun
11-03-2002, 12:51 PM
I'm just as crazy as you too, draco, but I wouldn't kick you because you're too darned tough!

Guys like you are very effective fighters because you've been exposed to a lot of information and use it regularly.

You've reached a level in martial arts where your goal isn't to do technique. You're now concerned with getting the job done, regardless of what it looks like. That's really impressive.

I roll with students that have trained many other disciplines, and it's always a new thing all the time. There's a joy in rolling with guys who have that kind of skill level, as they push us all to higher levels.

Has any one of your styles helped you get to that level more than any of the others?

draco
11-04-2002, 08:34 AM
Geez HuangKaiVun!! you've read me well! Glade to know I'm not alone. I really couldn't say what got me to my currant level faster, I like everything I do even wrestling. I must say that I have learned 2 styles and a mixture of assorted all at once not necessarly in order with what a school chain of a perticular style teaches. So you see I don't fit into any catergory or froum :D but I'm learning. I have body memory and have learned the animals and I take them to the fight. I will say that PM has helped me in many ways.

How about you HuangKai Vun what makes you tick?

others?

Frogman
11-04-2002, 09:46 AM
Draco,
You train in both PM kung fu and kempo at the same time? I only ask cause the contrast of technique. Karate is so rigged and kung fu is some what smoother. I did kempo for a short time it was not bad but the techniques were done by shifting your weight in a certain way even though we used our waist to torque the flow was different. Also, in kempo you don’t chamber your attacks. So do you find that they conflict or complement one another?
:confused:

Stacey’s idea sounds like a good bit for “Jacka$$ the Movie Part 2”.:eek:

RibHit
fm

draco
11-05-2002, 09:16 AM
HuagKaiVun thanks for your kind word's!!

Hey Frogman thanks for your reply. As you know our word's just scratch the surface of what lies beneth:)

I studied a Vallarie Kempo and it can be ridged in movement and punches are chambered when practicing in front of the mirror etc.
A beginner is ridged and probably can't help that. I've been hard pressed through time to relax, breath and make flowing movements to be rid of ridgity, it takes too much time and energy. I can be ridgid but at the same time not.

I am not of an organization. I see you have a good background too.

HuangKaiVun
11-05-2002, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the compliments, draco.

It takes one to know one, as you know.

For me, the chamber is more of a training move to stretch out the muscles and produce maximal burn. But in fighting, I don't ever use the chamber unless I'm pulling some opponent's bodypart while pushing on another.

I also would say that I've studied with good teachers in various disciplines. All of them have helped me realize that the goal of technique is - as Joe Lewis said - to DO DAMAGE.

Frogman
11-05-2002, 11:50 AM
Chambering as explained to me in kempo is time consuming, since you have to pull back then forward covering more desistance then just throwing it from the present location. Chambering during PM forms is more mussel memory and placement, and offers more power. The way I see it is it’s one of those things that can go either way I pointed it out because when I trained in kempo I went in with the mind set of chambering. They tried to break me of the habit, pick up at another karate base school, but I was not around long enough. We can only scratch the surface in comparing two different styles like PM kung fu and kempo like you said, draco. I thought you were training in both at the same time and was just curious about how you worked the subtle differences. Personal if I were to train in two styles at the same time, the other one would be going back to judo. Only because ground techniques do not interfere with the PM techniques as much as a karate base style would. Plus this makes for a more well rounded fighter, personal opinion. For the time being I think I will stick with the kung fu exclusively. Maybe in the future with my Sifus approval and more time, I would venture back onto the mat, but it would be second.
;)
RibHit
fm

ursa major
11-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Hey Draco I grok kempo. I've been dabbling in it for several decades. Most recently Villari (small world) there is a club nearby with a great teacher he is a MA junkie like some of us, and a great guy too.

I spent many years in Hung-Gar both Canton and Hay-Say Fu. I still practice a dozen or so core forms they have much to offer. But these last several years 7 Star has most of my attention. I find myself having alot of fun learning, teaching, practicing 7 Star.

My MA motto -- if it works use it if not let it go.

My MA theory -- MA is a shopping trip what works for me might not for you, etc. I pick and choose stuff that fits me and focus on these specifically, work them over and over so they become routinized behaviour. I have to say PM makes the most sense to me so I practice it the most and, like I said, it is alot of fun.

The last few seasons I have been working on intercept of upper and lower body and diffusion of attacks. Staying loose. The more I practice the more I have to learn it seems...

UM.

draco
11-06-2002, 09:00 AM
The last few seasons I have been working on intercept of upper and lower body and diffusion of attacks. Staying loose. The more I practice the more I have to learn it seems...

This is cool ursa major. The past couple years with my kung-fu junkie friend we work on points that effect judgement setting the mind to sleep for that instance to sneak in a finishing technique. Got the idea/ movement from Wu style Tai Chi but using the mantis claw (sometimes fingers) to touch spots that send the focus /consciousness whatever to that spot to buy some time.

Lots of fun.

Former castleva
11-12-2002, 12:18 PM
I did not read all of the replies but there´s a small note for me to do on chambering&kempo+outworld.

In kenpo you are taught to protect your centerline like in wing chun,for this reason you do not "mechanically" chamber and tuck your hands as if you were to do in karate as an example.
What do you think?

MightyB
11-12-2002, 02:10 PM
I practice Wah Lum PM, Kempo and numerous other forms from other styles where combinations and techniques have been extracted.

Why?

every now and again I read threads on the forum that make me think, "what the fudge?"

This is the first one that I've seen on the PM only page.

If you REALLY trained in mantis, you wouldn't waist your time with some lesser striking art such as Kempo.

could understand cross training in grappling or throwing, but Kempo...?:confused:

draco
11-13-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Former castleva

In kenpo you are taught to protect your centerline like in wing chun,for this reason you do not "mechanically" chamber and tuck your hands as if you were to do in karate as an example.
What do you think?

Exactly !! nice post and thank you...

draco
11-13-2002, 09:57 AM
Why?

Kempo or Kenpo is a good foundation. If your house in northern praying mantisville doesn't have a good foundation to protect you from the frost it will crack. :D

If you REALLY trained in mantis, you wouldn't waist your time with some lesser striking art such as Kempo.

This is a good point of view. I take it you have studied Kempo and Mantis?

This is the first one that I've seen on the PM only page.

Just trying to explain who I am, how I trained. Like most of us here we are looking for approval, I'm no acception.

could understand cross training in grappling or throwing, but Kempo...?:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Very true. I feel in any art if we become too tied up (in a traditional sence) and not look for the places where grappleing, throwing are within our art, we would be just plain flat. We need to evolve and be more rounded in our thinking.

thanks for your apply