PDA

View Full Version : how to de-stink gloves

lowsweep
11-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Does anyone have any great ways to take the smell and the bacteria out of boxing (or sparring) gloves? My boxing gloves stay wet for at least a day after fighting in them and they get pretty nasty...I have heard about glove dogs but I wasn't sure they would work. I usually just spray my hand with desonex, the kind that deoderizes shoes, and put my hand in my glove. This works alright, but I am hoping there is a better way. Any ideas?

Mr. Bao
11-02-2002, 08:55 PM
To keep your boxing gloves clean, put them in the laundry and use a color safe bleach. I personally clean mine everytime after use because one it is good to keep yourself clean and two classmates like to work with people who smell decent and correct. Nothing is worst then a smelly classmate with long and untrimed nails.

You can hang dry them or in the dryer. You can also get them dry clean if you have a dry cleaner who can do that. Please don't mask the odor or used sprays which can damage yoru skin or worst.

If you are lazy or a person without a washer and dryer. You can nuke the gloves in the mirowave for about 1 min or less which dry or kills the germs inside your glove (pls becareful and watch your gloves) and then put rosemary herb and lemon peels inside your gloves and place them in your ice box overnight which also kills the germs and keep them dry. When you are ready take them up out and they should be room temp by the time for class.

By the way, don't store your gloves in dark and air tight places, this will breed more germs and stink them up even more. Pass on the knowledge and you can thank me later.

Neurotic
11-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Don't most gloves come with washing instructions?

- Just thinking in terms of leather or vinyl gloves, which may or may not live through repeated washing machine cycles.

Worst comes to worst send an email to whoever it is that makes the gloves :o)

Neurotic

rubthebuddha
11-03-2002, 11:11 PM
spray in your favorite brand of destinkerizer each night after practice. but do it lightly -- buildup = badness.

Golden Arms
11-04-2002, 05:51 PM
One trick that works really good, on any size glove as well is to get (2) if possible hair dryers. Either run them on the no heat setting, or take the heating elements out of them, then just slip them into your gloves after practice and turn them on low for a while. VIOLA! Sounds involved but its pretty simple and mine made it through a year of heavy training without even a slight scent of funk!