PDA

View Full Version : Arts and Media: The Martial Arts?

kwokfist
10-09-2001, 05:49 AM
Let's deviate from the normal arena of Martial Arts for a moment. My real name is Julian Yuramos, and I'm the Arts and Media Editor for the Gauntlet News Magazine in Mukilteo, WA. Our first issue is to be distributed this Thursday (the 11), and immediately after its distribution we will be working on our next issue.

Now, I am thinking about my next article. Do you think the Martial Arts and its relation to the Performance and Media arts is a good topic to cover in my section?

Any input would be good. I haven't presented the topic to my Managing Editor yet.

kwokfist
10-09-2001, 05:52 AM
Also, if you are interested, would anyone on this forum be willing to contribute any graphics they have of themselves in motion to the paper? (i.e. wheel kick, spinning roundhouse, flying sides, stances, etc. etc.)

You would definitely get credit (I would scan the page and show it to you if you want)

kwokfist
10-09-2001, 06:19 AM
... just keeping this up there. :)

DrunkenMonkey
10-09-2001, 03:09 PM
hmm.... sounds interesting, but I agree it really depends on how you approach it, but I suppose that element contributes to all types of articles and is what determines if the article is good or ****ty.

What kind of approach are you thinking of? things to talk about in the article?

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

kwokfist
10-09-2001, 06:35 PM
That is a topic to be decided. What kind of things would you be interested in reading that is informative yet attracts the attention of a normal hyper-active 15 - 25 year old?

JasBourne
10-09-2001, 06:51 PM
If that's your target market, you'll find yourself doing a ton of Jet Li and Jackie Chan articles, because most of your readership isn't really interested in actual martial arts, which by and large are not pretty and require a tremendous amount of dedicated work.

kwokfist
10-09-2001, 07:10 PM
Generally I am not aiming towards simply nurturing their normal views on the Martial Arts, but rather educate the audience in what it is really about, what are the major Martial Artist/Movie Stars out right now, current movies, major styles.

That sort of thing. I don't want to write about Jackie Chan or Jet Li. They read about that everywhere. On the same token, that is why we didn't do a big memorial or cover article on the WTC tragedy this issue, because it's been beat into the dust for so long that it would be pointless and no one would read it.

Generally, what catches the attention of our target audience is pretty graphics, superb layout and smart dialogue. We're not talking about Wallstreet or Times Magazine pretty, we're talking about the kick-ass eye-catching layout you wish you knew how to make.

apoweyn
10-09-2001, 07:15 PM
i think an article on capoeira as performance art would be a nice start. very visual. outside the norm. culturally interesting.

just an idea.

kwokfist
10-09-2001, 07:18 PM
It has to be an art that is more well known. People aren't going to read about something they don't even have a background of knowledge on.

apoweyn
10-09-2001, 07:51 PM
why would people read about something they know about?

it's dance. it's martial art. i think that's probably enough of a conceptual framework for people to latch onto.

but your call, obviously.

Stuart B.

honorisc
10-09-2001, 08:26 PM
"Do you think the Martial Arts and its relation to the Performance and Media arts is a good topic to cover in my section?"

That would be how ballet (performance Art) and Karate and T'ai Chi Ch'uan and WWF(WCW,NWO) and boxing are the same. And how publication of a magazine or television program or Station and photojournalism goes through the same steps as the aforementioned.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

DrunkenMonkey
10-10-2001, 01:03 AM
hmm... yes I agree with the others that you may want to decrease your horizon of writing to a single style such as Capoiera or Jeet Kune Do etc.

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

kwokfist
10-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Hmm... Now that I think about it, you are correct. Capoiera sounds good.

Does anyone have any links to credible Capoiera information sites and associations?

jun_erh
10-10-2001, 03:34 AM
I think a good article would be on training vs practice, a constant neverending source of arguement here. Some think grappling is the answer because it does well in tournaments, others say this isn't good for real life because it's hard to grapple on cement and I'm not trying to express and opinion here, just that it's an issue that can resonate outside of the world of martial arts, if only for it's symbolism :eek:

kwokfist
10-10-2001, 03:45 AM
There are a few reasons as to why I consider that aspect, or even think about it until now. The main one is:

1. This topic that has been such a controversy in this Forum has been such a controversy because there are very opinionated people on both ends of the scale. In my area, maybe 1% of the population practices martial arts, and even less of that percent has enough knowledge or experience to have a position on the subject. If I were to cite this topic, I would be adressing such a small audience that it wouldn't be worth writing, and it would likely not even be printed. :)

DrunkenMonkey
10-10-2001, 06:11 AM
*cough*

Tvebak
10-10-2001, 11:47 AM
Where is Mukilteo? Maybe i could help you locate a mestre that i can recomend in the area, but i dont know where it is.
That is if you want to do something about capoeira.