PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Content

S.Teebas
11-03-2002, 06:34 AM
What is 'emotional content'? What did Bruce lee mean when he said that. Is he saying he used his emotions to fuel his power or focus on what he wanted to do?

Did he think using this would help him perfom better or generate more power if he used this?

TenTigers
11-03-2002, 08:14 AM
I know in Enter the Dragon, he said, "Emotional content, not anger" but there was a story of Bruce Lee working with Dan Inosanto, and Lee was trying to get Inosanto to really open up and get power in his side kick. Dan was repeatedly kicking the air sheild, and Bruce would say, "Harder" After awhile, Dan got frustrated. Bruce walked over to him, slapped him in the face and said, "I said, Harder! Now KICK!" Dan, seething with rage and frustration, came out and BLASTED the bag. Bruce then smiled at him and quietly said, 'Now that was a good kick!"..or something like that. hmmm,- sounds like anger ta'me!
In Hung-Ga, we learn the five animals. Each animal has an emotion connected with it as well as specific technique. Tiger has anger-ferocity,Snake is cold-blodded-penetrating, leopard is sneaky,crane is calm under pressure,Dragon is 'indomitable spirit-happy,-look at as the guy who after you just gave him your best punch in the face, spits out a bloddy tooth and smiles and says, 'C'mere!"

TenTigers
11-03-2002, 08:52 AM
(ok, I'm back-had to teach a class) These five feelings come together to create the emotional content of the fighter. It's a combining of the five rather than focusing on one emotion. Therefore, you develop the ability to release ferocity, (Tiger)yet be in control (crane) alert and crafty(leopard) focused on the opponent, not as a person but as an object to be destroyed (snake) and if you take a shot, you step forward and drive through your opponent, no matter what it takes, you do not stop(dragon). This is the way we teach 'emotional content', I'm not sure if this is what Bruce Lee was getting at, but since he did have a traditional backround, and was exposed to many arts, and researched many more, perhaps it is where he was going.
That's just my .02, I'd be interested in hearing from some who might have been direct students under Inosanto, who could shed more light on this.

Shisio
11-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Sorry, I don't know if Bruce was thinking of the 5 animals, its possible seeing how he studied philosphy. I think it has a simple purpose.
It's good to train for realistic situations; to train what you'd do if in you where truly in danger. Including 'Emotional content' in training makes your training all that much better, cause it (emotional content) will be there on the street. Additionally, I believe the statement focuses on not holding back. Too many martial artists constantly hold back because they are training and are thus limited to the point that they may never know just how good they are. I remeber a Bruce Lee book (Tao of JKD perhaps?) mentioning that in order for someone to get much better, they have to do their best. Like to become faster, we'd have to train at top speed. Most of us preform better with more serious motivation, i.e. emotional content. Just gotta remeber that Bruce Lee was an intense guy, so most of his training is also intense. Hope this helps-

3step
11-06-2002, 07:56 PM
emotional content is relentless intent. imagine a man who has decided that his only purpose( intent) in life is to rip your ear off, even if he dies doing it. you're probably gonna lose an ear, right?

to put that same kind of emotional content into training is what bruce meant, i think. the moment you are throwing a punch, for example, you BECOME the punch. you cannot think of your checkbook, traffic, dinner, etc. you dont even think of the punch. you simply punch with everything you are at that moment.

i think it is very closely tied to wu-wei.

Shisio
11-07-2002, 10:19 PM
I'd have to agree with you 3step, but man, how easy is it to focus that much?

3step
11-07-2002, 11:44 PM
it aint easy........but then again its not suposed to be either. thats why it's called "kung fu", right?:)

TkdWarrior
11-08-2002, 01:53 AM
try Emotional content as "Attachement" being materialistic or not...
-TkdWarrior-

S.Teebas
11-08-2002, 06:02 PM
So is this kind of intensity used during combat or just training?

Dont you think this could cloud your judjment by getting all emotional etc... ??

I recall reading an article by Hawkins Cheung (Spelling??) - burces class mate which said he could get the better of Bruce due to him relying on thought and his 'broken rythem', instead of the FEELING what was happening... like is taught in Wing Chun.

fsd-girl
11-13-2002, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I study in a system that was based on JKD, and in which "emotional content", is the most important aspect in trainning and in winning a situation.

Emotional content, or "Inner Monster" as we call it, is what lets you block out everything else that is going on, or how it was stated before, to concentrate all of your energy into one point.

The most important thing about emotional content is that you have to harness it. The larger your inner monster, the more unbeatable you become. The only way to harness your inner monster is to apply it to every second of your training. It is what permits you to do just one more push-up when you think you're going to collapse, it is what permits you to do just one more sit-up when your abs are on fire...it is also what will intimidate your opponent the most. The look in your eyes and the feeling you get when your inner monster is at its heighest is all it takes to make your opponent back down. It is almost a feeling of invincibility, total confidence that emanates from you. Everyone around you will feel it.

Maybe the best way to explain it is by giving an example:

In Return of the Dragon, Bruce Lee (after the initial confrontation with the bad guys), shows the workers in the restaurant how to generate the most power in their strikes and kicks. A few seconds before going into the first strike, you see his whole face change. Total concentration, total confidence...

THAT IS EMOTIONAL CONTENT :)

YungChun
12-01-2002, 12:14 PM
Don't think, feel, it's like a finger pointing the way...

You are in a fight. Now, are you thinking? Is your mind filled with obtrusive and useless thoughts or are you feeling? What is happening inside the opponent? How does he appear to you? How does he move? Is he tense or relaxed or angry or happy? How does he make you feel? Can you express this feeling in your movement? Can you express yourself? Can you express harmony with the opponent and fit in with his emotions, feelings, movements? JKD is the free expression of oneself in fighting. To feel the moment and instanly become one with the opponent one must be without limits, without thought. It's like a finger pointing the way to the moon...

Now, how did it feel to you?