PDA

View Full Version : Is flatulence a loss of qi?

Serpent
11-03-2002, 08:52 PM
Something Kung Lek said in passing in another thread; excessive gas is considered a loss of qi, therefore grain is often avoided by qigong practitioners.

I've never heard this before, is it considered true by many of you?

Also, what else is considered a loss of qi? I know a lot of people consider ejaculation a loss of jing, therefore qi depleting. What other everyday bodily activities threaten our qi?

I don't think there's a suitable smilie for this thread! ;)

Perhaps :eek: for excessive wind?

Serious question, however. What do you all think?

prana
11-03-2002, 10:08 PM
not a lost the most, if not all of us. Your bodies natural secretions are not considered lost unless in the strictest sense, then so, one wont even require food or water.

Other "losses" include wandering of the mind, basically any thoughts outside of the body releases qi in such a way too. Drinking cold water, cold showers, over stressing by straining, all sorts of stress, unhappiness, anger.

my $0.02

Serpent
11-03-2002, 10:19 PM
Sorry man, I didn't understand a word of that. :confused:

Are you saying it is a loss or not?

IronFist
11-04-2002, 12:58 AM
Serpent, I have two things to say to you:

1. I totally used to be able to shoot hadokens until one day I ate a lot of Taco bell. ****, I had diahrrea ****s for like 3 hours, and when it was done, to my dismay, I found I could no longer shoot hadokens :(

2. ""A wheelchair does not spare a person from having to walk the talk" - HuangKaiVun "

lol, I think :confused: wtf does that mean? That's about as useful as anything HKV has told me.

IronFist

Former castleva
11-04-2002, 03:37 AM
Emotions,
food,
breathing,air,
energy fields (electronic machines,cables etc.)
even our circumstances-our home and every single object of it effects our energy (feng shui)
Parental qi (as there are various qi´s,also the qi we receive from our parents effects our condition)

Ejaculation is only bad too often,improper menstruation does the same I think.

http://www.kungfu.ch/Hapkido/9_rules_hapkido.htm
9 rules of shin moo hapkido,a bit unrelated but deals with some of these things in it´s own view.

BTW,grain is one of important type of nutrition for sure.

prana
11-04-2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Sorry man, I didn't understand a word of that. :confused:

Are you saying it is a loss or not?

sorry mate, didnt mean to be so cryptic, was in a hurry at work.
thought I would get a few words in.

You hafta f@rt man ! f@rt is good for you, its a natural secretion and you should always let them go. It's your bodies naturalk way of getting rid of bad things, eastern or western, its the same.

But see to get all cryptic, everybody loses qi, when you think about your girlfriend in the past, or what you going to do in the future with your car, house woteva, you are constantly losing qi. Every breathe you take, you gain and lose qi. We have to live, we have to eat, we have to kill, albeit unintentionally, such is the life cycle.

Relax enjoy n dont worry about those little f@rt things. Just, dont do it when folks are around :D

edity: wow, they sensor f@rt ?

dezhen2001
11-04-2002, 04:25 AM
You hafta f@rt man !

pure comedy :D

dawood

Repulsive Monkey
11-04-2002, 06:08 AM
Pretty much everything thats been said is true, the basics is that which excessive depletes the Yang and that which is deficient depletes the Yin. Of course this isn't that straight forward as each can deplete the other too, and other factors can cause qi depletion.

Ejaculation causes Jing depletion, not qi depletion as such. Pre-natal Jing is that which one inherits from our parents and which is considered to be the most important source of energy as it is our long-life constitutional reserve. A poor supply of it will usually mean premature ageing signs, general lacking in energy all life, prone to illness frequently and poor physical development.

A strong source of Jing will usually mean the ability to rarely be ill and the ability to make much physcial and physiological punishment and rebuild quickly.

Qi depletion in general though can be through, overwork, excessice sexual activity, poisoning, emotional disturbance, sleep disruption or deficiency, exposure to pathogenic factors, diet , exercise and environment. Again if any of these causes either the Yin or the Ynag of the body to exceed or reduce from its balanced position then there is draining of qi in the body.

eulerfan
11-04-2002, 08:16 AM
Oh my god. I....can't.......breathe........did somebody say 'improper menstruation'?

SaMantis
11-04-2002, 08:45 AM
man, yoga addresses everything, doesn't it? :D

So it's the old saying: everything in moderation. Eat moderately, drink moderately, sleep moderately, **** moderately.

SaMantis
11-04-2002, 08:48 AM
that's f a r t

:)

Chang Style Novice
11-04-2002, 09:25 AM
Apparently qi smells a lot worse than I thought.

I can't believe I'm reading this conversation, much less 'contributing.'

fa_jing
11-04-2002, 10:08 AM
I find a good run of Yoga will usually release those intestinal gases.

FatherDog
11-04-2002, 10:31 AM
This begs the question; how exactly does one menstruate 'improperly'?

KC Elbows
11-04-2002, 10:41 AM
I've suspected for years that my wife might be menstruating improperly. However, she doesn't seem to appreciate my pointers.:D

prana
11-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Repulsive, please correct me if I am wrong :)

Strictly speaking, a woman who is extremely advanced in energy cultivation, will not menstruate at all. Or her menstruation will be painless and will not be accompanied by lumps but be light and very much lighter than the lay woman. Not that I have personal experience but that is what is said around the olds, as far back as I can remember.

yeah qi does smell bad sometimes, especially after a bottle of Yakult and some curry lentils.

edit : just give a thought for the got qi girls

Serpent
11-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Classic thread! :D

First off, in no way am I going to stop ****ing. It's natural and I enjoy it! ;) It's just that I'd never heard it suggested before that to do so would deplete qi.

Interesting all round. Thanks for your contributions everyone.

And keep it up. How often can we get a thread about ****ing that is on-topic, with improper menstruation thrown in for good measure!

Dhal and naan bread anyone?

:)

David Jamieson
11-04-2002, 05:31 PM
I think that I commented that the Taoists of old would avoid the five grains because they "caused" gas. It is a causality that can be avoided.

causality not casualty.

If you are overworking your spleen and causing it to produce a lot of gas and subsequently passing that gas you are in fact "losing" Chi. (breath/wind/air)

If you eat properly according to your natural needs for nutrition (and we are all different in this way) then yes, the gas that is passed is clearly getting rid of stale Chi, or extraneous and unneeded wind.

Amazing that something as natural as a f@rt is so complex.
Anything in moderation...hmmmn, i wonder how many bullets is too many?

peace

Repulsive Monkey
11-05-2002, 04:50 AM
Hiya long time no hear, what you've said is partially correct. A women always ought to mentruate until menopause, even if she has cultivated her energy to a high level. However as yuo added she will be with irregularity, clots, the colouration will neither show pathogenic cold or heat, the amount will be consistent and Qi stagnation will be almost non existent so pain will probably never feature in her cycle.
In Chinese Medicine, gynaecology is a massive area and Women have a tough lot in life just with the unctions of Gentio-Urinary system, a hell of a lot more than men. So all men present, pay utmost respect!!!.
Menstruation will still continue because balanced function of the Uterus will still cause ovulation build up of endometrium in the lining of the walls of the Uterus and final expulsion of the blood, endometrium and the ovum, and inablilty to do this would most probably inhibit fecundicity, and fertility in general plus would cause Qi stagnation, and further blood stagnation in the uterus.

SaMantis
11-05-2002, 06:46 AM
Right. NOT menstruating is bad -- it's part of a cycle. Women who overexert themselves or whose body fat level drops too low (12% is considered as low as a woman should go) will begin to skip cycles. I've read that menstruation is one way of cleansing the system of impurities, so while it's inconvenient it's also a good thing.

It's true, however, that higher energy levels ease cramping, etc. -- even Western science has shown that women who exercise regularly have an easier time of it.

GeneChing
11-05-2002, 11:58 AM
You got to check out the discussion we had on this in our TCM forum - http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=8594

neptunesfall
11-05-2002, 05:46 PM
kung lek -
not sure exactly what you mean, but methane gas is formed in the intestines as a product of digestion, it's not made by the spleen.
****ing is good for you. it's a natural product of digestion.

David Jamieson
11-05-2002, 05:55 PM
neptune-

from another source...

The spleen is responsible for the intake, processing, and shipping out of food and fluid. From the food and fluid, the spleen derives key components of making qi and blood and is thus the primary organ looked at when these two essential substances are not balanced. The spleen extracts the qi of the food (gu qi), and sends it up to the heart and lungs. In the heart, it combines with the pre-natal qi to form blood. In the lungs, it combines with the qi of the air (kong qi) and the original qi (yuan qi) to form the True or Upright Qi (zhen qi). It is this final type of qi that will be sent through the blood and channels of the rest of the body. When functioning properly: qi is strong, digestion goes smoothly, body is kept moist. When malfunctioning: qi is weak (lassitude), appetite is poor, digestion is sluggish, stools may be loose, phlegm and damp may accumulate.

yes, gas has to get somewhere but it starts at the spleen.

peace

prana
11-05-2002, 10:02 PM
one very important matter to take into account is that "spleen" that reffered to in the article is refers to a region as opposed to specific organ (Western Bio understanding of spleen etc).

SifuAbel
11-06-2002, 02:36 AM
uh, Isn't gas produced by fecal matter?

And a few words about loss, not really.

David Jamieson
11-06-2002, 05:29 AM
prana-

the quote i put up is directly related to tcm and directly related to the organ the spleen itself. It also maps across to the western medical understanding of the function of the spleen.

guys, the minutia of things is only the minutia. in any given thing or event, there are multiple contributing factors and multiple effects.

SA- everything produces vapour, including living matter. When it is trapped within a system it will fill up to the point where it will finally be released.

by avoiding the 5 grains as the taoists taught, you wouldn't produce the vapour that would build up and escape and in the doing, take essence (qi) with.

Anyway, f@rts are interesting little things aren't they?

peace

GeneChing
11-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Alright, Iv'e been saving this one for just the right occasion - http://www.heptune.com/poop.html .

Ahh, I feel so relieved.:D

sticky fingers
11-06-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Alright, Iv'e been saving this one for just the right occasion - http://www.heptune.com/poop.html .

Ahh, I feel so relieved.:D

Cool
Now I know the medical term for SCAT:eek:

SifuAbel
11-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Why does poop stink?
Poop stinks as a result of the products of bacterial action. Bacteria produce smelly, sulfur- or nitrogen-rich organic compounds such as indole, skatole, and mercaptans, and the inorganic gas hydrogen sulfide. These are the same compounds that give ****s their odor.

Frankly, this whole issue of losing chi through excremental functions is, in a word, silly.

Don't sweat either, you'll lose chi. Don't sneeze, don't pee, don't poo, don't clip hair or nails , don'y cry, don't remove your earwax, don't lose any skin cells if you can.

TaoBoy
11-06-2002, 02:08 PM
It's all about excess. If you have too much of something, it puts you out of balance and then things start to go wrong...

David Jamieson
11-06-2002, 03:40 PM
taoboy, that is true. THere is also deficiency that unrests balance.

balance is restored when the porridge of the human body is juuuuusssst right :D

peace

firepalm
11-06-2002, 03:48 PM
Flatuence is simply a crap honking for the right of way!:cool:

Serpent
11-06-2002, 04:17 PM
:D

So all this basically begs the question:

How much ****ing is too much?

TaoBoy
11-06-2002, 04:21 PM
I knew it would come to this. :D

Everything in moderation, my boy. moderation!! ;)

Serpent
11-06-2002, 04:34 PM
That's not good enough! What's moderation in f@rting?

Three times an hour?

Once an hour?

Once a day?

:confused: :D

David Jamieson
11-06-2002, 07:32 PM
7-35 times a day for the average male in north american society.

peace

Serpent
11-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Good gawd!? Where did you actually find stats for that!?

:confused: :D

GeneChing
11-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Qi can be translated several different ways. Conventionally we CMAers think of power, but it can also be breath, air and/or gas. In fact the character for gasoline (qi you) uses the same character as internal qi, combined with the character for oil. So passing gas can very literally be considered a loss of qi.

But then you must realize that within qigong, there is good qi and bad qi. It's just like witches over the rainbow. A lot of qigong is specifically designed to dispel bad, evil or dirty qi. This is why you may well 'poot' during practice. It's good for you. As Ben Franklin said "**** proudly."

prana
11-08-2002, 02:56 PM
well said Gene ! well said ;)

ewallace
11-08-2002, 03:36 PM
So, essentially everytime you get a case of open-ass it just goes to prove further that qi does exist.

GeneChing
11-12-2002, 11:07 AM
The kind of qi that you wouldn't want to get trapped in an elevator with, yeah, that's about as real as it gets.

Godzilla
11-12-2002, 11:55 AM
>>>Tiger balm and flatulence
>>>You got to check out the discussion we had on this in our TCM forum - http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/for...p?threadid=8594

I was proud to have participated in that discussion.

After all these years, i still think it's funny when someone ****s while doing situps.

Peace.
Godzilla