PDA

View Full Version : ATT: Waterdragon, Zhan Zhuang folks

scotty1
11-04-2002, 06:10 AM
Hi

Just a quick question. Before I started my zhan zhuang posture training I did an hour of wuxi (?) stance (just standing, relaxed) and then 100 days of the same, but for 10/15 minutes.

The idea being that by the end of the 100 days you can stand for 15 minutes completely relaxed, not feeling the urge to move, and this is an indicator that you may start the posture training.

I did this, and my posture training is going well. From 3 minutes I can now reach 15, without the use of muscle tension.

My girlfriend wishes to start doing this chikung with me, and she has stood for one hour. Now, where I found it difficult to stay in one place for 20 minutes, let alone one hour, she finds it easy, and relaxing.

Waterdragon, you said to me at the end of the 100 days something like if you can stand and feel relaxed, and not feel the urge to move, you're probably ready to start the posture.

Well, she can do that already, after 4 or 5 15 minute sessions, so do you think it may be a waste of time for her to do this?

Thanks. All opinions welcome!

Dan from Wahnam, maybe you have an opinion? Any thoughts on the use of wuxi stance with Xhan Zhuang in general would be interesting, I know that Sifu Wong Kiew Kit advocates at least 5 minutes at the end of a Zhan Zhuang session.

Water Dragon
11-04-2002, 07:39 AM
I have absolutely no idea. Sorry :(

TaiChiBob
11-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Greetings..

Not to distract from the subject.. but, my teacher also has us stand on one leg with our eyes closed for 1 minute each leg (be honest and keep the eyes closed).. he says that will help you find your "true" center.. (its not easy)..

Any similar training?

Be well.. be real..

scotty1
11-11-2002, 06:54 AM
waterdragon: thanks man, its cool, sorry to keep bothering you over this.

Guohen:

"she is already soong"

What you saying about my girl man?!:D

You think she can push on with the posture?

Periodically, I do an hour of wuxi stance, to check that I'm still relaxed enough to do the posture work. It gets easier every time, so I must be doing something right.

Your advice about using wuxi as a finishing gong is interesting, Sifu Wong Kiew Kit has advice on his website that states that unless a session of Zhan Zhuang is finished with at least 5 minutes of Wuxi stance over 50% of the benefit is lost.

I have certainly noticed that over the course of that 5 minutes
my muscles relax fully, which (presumably) they would not do if I went straight into doing another activity. Obviously they must be relaxed during the ZZ, but there still seems to be a certain amount of tension or energy that 'lets go' during the wuxi.

Thanks everyone.

:)

woliveri
11-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Tai Chi Bob,
So you're learning from the Wu teacher now? I used to do this standing posture (one legged, Golden Chicken) many years ago for Kung Fu training but also added the bai fut sow breathing to it. At that time I more or less made it up or discovered it myself. Later I found that Yang Jiang Ming had written in one of his Taiji books about standing on a red brick for the same function. This is a very good exercise.

Posture is very important in Wuji Qi Gong. From GB21 (Jianjing) to K1 (Yong Chuan) needs to be a straight line. Then from Bai Hui through Hui Yin down to the point between Yong Chuan also needs to be straight. The feet are in parallel and are the same distance apart as Jianjing are. With proper posture standing can be held longer and more relaxed. My friend would stand for 40 min to an hour and then remark afterwards that it was not enough.

hth

TaiChiBob
11-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Hi Bill,

No, i have pushed with him a bit.. he's quite good, but unwilling to receive, he stays forward and forces others around or under to get to his center.. (he's tall for an Oriental, a couple of inches taller than me).. but, once you find a way in, he gets easily flustered/manipulated..

I agree with you on posture relevance, i teach my students to position the hip points over the ankle points regardless of the depth of knee bending.. then compress (coil) the dantien, pulling the pelvis forward and up.. the difficulty is getting them to use the psoas muscles rather their abdominals..

One legged stances give most people trouble, they tend to curve their backs to the side to compensate rather than shift weight.. oh well, it takes time..

I hope things are going well for you.. Troy Provenzano and i have opened our own school.. he is "Extreme Harmony" and i am "Three Harmony (body, mind & spirit)".. things are going well.. I will be going to a weekend seminar with Dr. Yang Jwing Ming in January, the last one was very good..

BE well.. keep in touch..