PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Southern Style....

Snake_Fist
04-13-2000, 06:36 PM
If you please could you state your favorite Southern Style and why it best fits you.

HuangKaiVun
04-16-2000, 07:56 AM
Bak Siu Lum for me. I've dabbled in Southern Tiger, 7-Star Mantis, Hung Ga, Bak Mei, Wing Chun, and Lama.

I like circular motion, I like flowing movements, I like the mobility in the footwork, I like the way the weapons philosophy reflects that of the empty hand sets, I like the versatility of the techniques, and I'm learning the style from a reputable (but to be unnamed) source.

rocklion
04-16-2000, 08:43 AM
My fav style is Yau Kung Mun. It suits my body size and i think the hand work is awesome. I also enjoy the emphasis on lion and dragon dancing.

Lau
04-16-2000, 01:58 PM
Hi Speckle

Welcome to this board. It's good to see someone of the Yau Kung Moon style. I practice Pak Mei myself. A lot of people on this board are trying to find out the history of Dragon Style, Southern Praying Mantis and Pak Mei. And I heard Yau Kung Moon and Pak Mei have a lot of common history. So I hope you are willing to shed some light on a few things from a Yau Kung Moon perspective. Like
- What's the history of Yau Kung Moon and how does it relate to Pak Mei?
- What are the fist forms in Yau Kung Moon?
- Are there any Yau Kung Moon websites?
If you're interested in the shared histories of Dragon Style, Southern Mantis and Pak Mei, please check out the shared Hakka History thread.
Regards, Lau.

Jimbo
04-17-2000, 12:35 AM
My system is Choy Lee Fut.
I like the versatility of long and close-in fighting, circular, straight, and angular strikes, weapons, applications, sparring, Qi Gong, etc. It keeps me interested.
Jim

mantis108
04-17-2000, 04:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

I will have to say Lung Ying and Bak Mei. So hard to choose. Lung Ying's footwork and its bold and powerful strikes are second to non to other southern styles. Bak Mei is just plain direct and fierce to the point that it's "nasty". It's the polar bear against the wolverine. How to pick?

Peace
Mantis

illusionfist
04-17-2000, 12:26 PM
HUNG GAR!!!!!! I like the no nonense applications. I dabbled in wing chun for a bit but i felt that it didn't suit me.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kristoffer
04-17-2000, 03:35 PM
O Shin Ti Tan

cause its the best, thats why. : )

04-18-2000, 02:34 AM
Lau
Yau Kung Moon was supposed to be found by Har Horn Hung who trained under Tit Yan Sim Si (Third Generation Yau Gong Moon Master). And later on trained under Guy Ban Mook (3rd generation Yau Gong Moon Master).
But in the Hakka world, there is a saying that Har Horn Hung trained under Cheung Lai Chung, but Cheung and him had a agrument, so Har change the name to Yau Gong Moon....etc

Wilson
http://www.southernmantis.co.uk

J
04-18-2000, 03:18 AM
What is Yau Kung Moon?

Thanks

rocklion
04-18-2000, 05:31 AM
Lau,

thanks for the welcome, i will gladly share what i know..firstly i practice in sydney australia, the Australian Yau Kung Mun Association has a website you can check out
http://www.yaukungmun.mkswap.com

my sifu teaches 20 hand forms but he has said that its possible for there to be more in hong kong. My chinese is quite poor so the only form name i could attempt to type is
"Tung Chi Kuen"

The history as i know it is that the style was passed down from a monk to a man from the public who taught my Si-Gung who migrated to sydney in the 70's

hope this helped

Wilson,

Do you practice Yau Kung Mun? If so i would hope you can answer a few questions for me.

Just out of interest, Har Hon Hung was indeed taught by the monk Tit Yan. Grandmaster Ha Hong Hung was told by Tit Yan to name the style Yau Kung Mun.

04-18-2000, 07:00 PM
Speckle

Hi there. To answer your questions
1, I've never trained in Yau Gong Moon.
2, I've visit Sifu Har Duk Kin in HK before. And also Yau Gong Moon is a popular kung fu system in HK, they do demos very often, esp excel in lion dancing.

regards
Wilson http://www.southernmantis.co.uk

Lau
04-19-2000, 04:53 PM
Hi Again,
Thanks for the answers. Perhaps we can check the simularities between Yau Kung Mun and Pak Mei Pai to see is the are from the same source. On a Pak Mei website I found a list of Pak Mei hand forms which are listed below. I don't think they are all Pak Mei. In the nine step push book by H.B. Un only 3 'original' pak mei forms are mentioned:
- Gau Bo Tui (9 Step Push )
- Sup Bart More Kiu (18 Arms Contact)
- Mount Foo Chui Lum (Fierce Tiger Comes Out From Forest Set)

Speckle, Perhaps you can take a look at the list below and see if you recognize some of the names. It would be interesting to see if you have forms by the same names. I looked at the Yau Kung Mun website and saw a picture of a trident (tiger fork). We also have a tiger fork form. I just started training a little piece of it. I also once saw a Yau Kung Mun form on video an it looked a lot like our Sam Mun Chuen form.

1. The Forms of Pak Mei (taken from Hong Kong Dragon and Pak Mei website)

1) Elementary Stage:
1. Chik Bo (Straight Steps)
2. Shek Sze Sap Gee (Cross Set)
3. Chuk Sup Yee Day Shat (72 Earth Ghost Set)
4. Sam Mun Chuen (3 Gates Punch/Group Fighting Set)
5. Siu Sham Mun (Little 3 Gates)

2) Intermediate Stage
1. Gau Bo Tui (9 Step Push )
2. Sam Mun Ba Gua (Three Gates Eight Diagrams)
3. Ying Jow Nim Kiu (Eagle Claw Linking Arms)

3) Higher Stage
1. Say Mun Ba Gua (Four Gates Eight Diagrams)
2. Dan Jin (Single Power)
3. Sup Bart More Kiu (18 Arms Contact)

4) Master Stage

1. Mount Foo Chui Lum (Fierce Tiger Comes Out From Forest Set)
2. Ng Hong More (Five Elements Contact)

Regards, Lau

wisdom mind
04-19-2000, 07:17 PM
Pak Mei all the way.

EXPLOSIVE! SUPERFAST! BURNING!

MoQ
04-21-2000, 02:25 PM
HuangKaiVun-
Bak Siu Lam? Bak Shil Lum? Ummm... "White Temple Boxing"??? "Bak Shaolin" IS North Shaolin(long, flowing movements, fluid footwork)...beware Mandarin/Cantonese and dialect mixes in terminology...QUESTION the Shi Fu... AGAIN...

[This message has been edited by MoQ (edited 04-22-2000).]

wedgie
04-24-2000, 08:13 PM
hello all

I'm in Perth Western Australia and i would have to say that my personal favorite southern style would be Chowka (Jow Ga. It fits my personality and body to a "T". It's an aggressive style but reasonably agile which is a bonus as I prefer to avoid direct confrontation and come in from the side or behind. I prefer the southern styles moreso as they seem to be more direct with minimal but this is my personal belief. I am interested in other styles though and I am not biased in my thinking.

I would be very happy to talk with anybody re chowka or just martial arts in general.

have a good one!

rocklion
04-25-2000, 05:00 AM
Lau,

There is a form called

Sup Jee Kuen (cross fist,i think)It may be something like your Shek Sze Sap Gee (Cross Set) but im not sure (havent seen the pak mei one)

Also i think our tiger fork forms
are similar.

Hope this helps

04-27-2000, 09:23 PM
Hey, all!

I practice wing chun myself, though I'm fortunate to have access to a sifu who teaches a style direct from mainland China, so it's pretty different from Yip Man style wing chun. No forms at all.

Here's a link to an article that somebody wrote about our school:
http://www.wingchunkuen.com/features/roselando_gulaopiensan.shtml

------------------
-----
Peace.
Reverend Tim

Kung Lek
04-27-2000, 10:38 PM
Hey Tim-
Long time no see on the board.
Where have you been?
Have you been seeing that other board out there?

My favourite southern style is the style I practice of course!
I also like the Northern system I practice and am looking forward to gaining yet another southern style in due time.
The style I practice is Sil Lum Hak Fu or Hak Fu pai.
Its a great style. if you want a little more infor about the style, My Teacher has written a goos articl about Hak Fu pai (Black Tiger System) and it is available for reading at www.mts.net/~jamieson (http://www.mts.net/~jamieson)

enter the site and choose Black tiger Article on the site links page.

Peace

------------------
Kung Lek

Kung Lek
04-27-2000, 10:43 PM
MoQ

Bak Sil Lum = Bei Shaolin = Bak Siu Lum = North Shaolin.
You are correct that this is a northern style however Bak Sil Lum is the Cantonese name (southern) for the system.

It is definitely not even close in flavour to southern styles.

Bak also means "North" by the way as Pak is the cantonese way of saying "White"
The "p" is pronounced as a "B" as in "Pak Mei"
Blame it on the scholars who derived multiple ways to romanize the spelling of chinese words using the arabic alphabet.

**** Scholars! -kidding haha.

Peace

------------------
Kung Lek

RFM
04-27-2000, 11:34 PM
Jingang Quan (Diamond Fist). I haven't run into anyone else who practices it (outside of my fellow classmates) yet. I saw a video on the Jingang Quan form, while the movements are consistent with what I practice (in regards to speed and technique) I was not familiar with the form, which may very well be taught at levels higher than my own.

I study this art because, it seem like a good thing at the time and now I'm hooked.

Bob

------------------
From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

mantis108
04-28-2000, 02:23 AM
Hi RFM,

Saw you posting in the "Endurance ..." thread. I'm impressed. Martial arts in China was and still is military arts. My grand master Lam Yui kwai (Dragon Sign) was a chief instructor of a militia in the Canton province back in the late Ching dynasty and early Republic period. I'm very glad to hear that you find Chinese martial arts complementary to you professional training. The respect and discipline you've show for the arts are simply inspiring and good example to many. My salut to you. Hope to see more of your good work.

Best regard,

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa