PDA

View Full Version : How do you train at home?

cha kuen
11-04-2002, 11:23 PM
Hey everyone,

How do you guys train at home? Or do you train at home? I know it's pretty tough to push yourself and get some good training in when you're not in class. For those who do, what type of stuff do you do? Forms? Hit the bag? And for those that don't, perhaps this post can help you guys get ideas.

I'm just interested in hearing how you guys train at home. =]

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Jabb
11-05-2002, 09:11 AM
First, I do warmups, then I practise forms, usualy the one which we practised at class day or 2 ago. I practice them until I feel that the moves went good and then, maybe have a break, and continue training till I feel it's time to stop.

TaoBoy
11-05-2002, 08:51 PM
I don't train much at home anymore - due entirely to lack of time. I spend a whole heap of time going through my MA training in my head, figuring things out, working on new ideas. I also do a lot of reading and watching. Then I use this stuff when I next train.

Firebird
11-06-2002, 06:35 AM
after wake up i start with 6 tone chi kung.
in the evening i do Chi Kung exercises from the Dao Ahn Pai System and forms ( hand and weapons),
if the weather is fine, i train outside on weekends; sometimes with classmates.
but sometimes it's hard to train regulary.

Dale Dugas
11-08-2002, 08:18 AM
Qi gong in the morning after some light stretching. Then its time to do my pai da gung, where I hit myself with my hands and some funky sticks. Then jow and then breakfast.

I work long days and train my horse and other stances as well as work on heel to toe stepping while I work(I work for a local supermarket and walk around all day).

After work I come home and stretch more while I catch the news(it helps to watch tv and zone out from the slight burn from stretching my hamstrings)

this is the core of my training and I work forms on certain nights and others I do strength training. I alternate from handstand pushups to using heavy dumbells to increase muscle mass.

Drink some protein and get ready for bed.

Dale Dugas

fiercest tiger
11-08-2002, 03:10 PM
I flog myself stupid, then eat, flog somemore andthen wash my self. eat some more and then have a big turd!

yeah i do practise at home and i teach 3 classes a day.

cya
FT

nospam
11-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Train at home...I wonder how many people are merely MA exercising as opposed to training. It's my opinion that too many folk simply perform patterns over-and-over until they're exhausted and sweaty...is that training MAs?

As I see it there are three distinctions 1) practise 2) training 3) using.

1) practise does incorporate the above, where you are solo and drilling movements 100 to 500 times repetitively. This is a necessity to become familiar with your style and your body. But as I see it, a lot of folk get caught at thsi stage, even when they think they're "training".

2) training incorporates 2-person application of what has been practised. This is where all of your practise is put on the line to enable imporvement and thorough understanding through application or experience of utilizing the practised movement and the philosophy of your style. Trial by fire fits here.

3) performance, if you will. Here you put all your cookies and your opponent's in one basket..your basket. It is no longer individually composite, you will either do your MA or you will not. There isn't an inbetween. You can perform your MA badly and get whooped - which isn't always a bad thing if it happens in the kwoon or a tournament - or you abandon your style and fall back on what nature gave you. I see the trick as a nice blending of the two..nature and nurture, so to speak. Yin and Yang. Not one or the other, but an assimilation of both into an action of one.

So as I practise at home on the suspended heavy bag or practise my patterns until I'm breathless, is what I am doing progressing my MAs? Or am I repeatedly focusing on one aspect in the guise of one darn good cardio workout.

Does practising my patterns at home help my application? One measure is how you incorporate your pattern movements into your 2-person practise? Remember though, 2-person drills would constitute practise of application, not training thereof. 2-person drills are simply another pattern.

So, how do we "train" @ home? heck, how do we "train" @ the kwoon? Is what we're doing making us better practitioners? And if so...of whay exactly?

nospam.
:cool: