PDA

View Full Version : Sek Koh Sam seated postures

cogg
11-05-2002, 10:05 AM
A while ago my teacher gave me some pictures of Venerable Sek Koh Sam doing seated postures, accompanied by various facial expressions. Does anyone practice this or know more about it?

atari
11-05-2002, 10:32 PM
I think they are the 18 Lohan techniques. I do not practise those techniques but do know that the some martial artist in Indonesia still talk about Sik Ko Sim. I believe Sik Ko Sim's kung fu is as close to Fujian Shaolin as you can get.

Shaolin Master
11-07-2002, 12:01 AM
My grandmaster Shi Gao Cen (Sek Gok Sum is in Hokkien dialect) was practising "Xi Nu Luohan Quan". In Fujian Fo Jia Luohan Chan Quan it is one of the highest levels of art ...it includes attributes of emotions and sounds (thus the facial expressions).

This art is practised by only 4 of the original 18 disciples (of LianHua ShuangLinSi in Poa Toya Singapore), common students such as those in indonesia or malaysia did not learn it. At the moment only 4 people know the entire 108 techniques/postures of the Xi Nu Luohan (Angry-Happy Arhat).

In fact it is unfortunate that most students/disciples did not learnt he entire Luohan tradition because grandmaster taught different skills to different students...that is why over 30 schools of the Shi Gao Cen tradition appeared in Singapore and Malaysia over the years. To have a taste of the arts of grandmaster I suggest learning "Yi Zhi Mei" which is the only set that "all" students learnt.

With regard to practice, yes but not taught (only to inheritors).

He was a well respected abbott/monk, not just for his martial skills but his medical skills and most importantly his compassion.

Cheers,
Shi Chan Long (Sek Jan Leng in Hokkien)