PDA

View Full Version : How many times per day do you hit the wallbag?

IronFist
11-05-2002, 06:19 PM
Just wondering. After some mad slacking off, a few weeks ago I started with 50 per day (each hand) and each week add 10. I'm up to 80 now. Except for this one day where I got to 20 and the neighbor started banging on the wall. Then I stopped to be nice. Haha. My bag is full of some kind of beans, I forgot which kind. It's not mung beans, though. I can't find those anywhere. Like some white beans or something.

What do you do? 100? 500?

Is there a point of diminishing returns?

IronFist

Grendel
11-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
My bag is full of some kind of beans, I forgot which kind. It's not mung beans, though. I can't find those anywhere. Like some white beans or something.
Do you have a "Whole Foods" market or "Bread of Life" store in your town. They or an oriental grocery should carry mung beans.

300 to 1000 daily is about right. Concentrate on the elbow energy and lightly punch from the heart while standing in your proper stance, in my case YGKYM. (Your power will build slowly over time without you realizing it if you concentrate on form and structure---the point is to link your hands to your horse.)

Is there a point of diminishing returns?

Definitely. Stop before you break the skin. It takes a long time for skin on the knuckles to heal.

Regards,

IronFist
11-06-2002, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I try not to rip the skin on the knuckle. By diminishing returns I meant like if you won't get any more benefit from doing 600 than you will from 200 or something like that.

Thanks for the reply :)

IronFist

philly
11-06-2002, 03:36 AM
well my sihing said that he hits his wallbag couple of times everytime he passes it (it's in his home).

He also said it has come so much of a habit that he punches it even if he has guests. Which has got him some strange looks from his guests :D

yuanfen
11-06-2002, 08:26 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Usually zero!

taltos
11-06-2002, 09:49 AM
While in direct application this may not be always possible, we have an informal saying at our school...

Practice DOES NOT make perfect...

PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect.

In the context of this thread, I would advise that if you are doing wallbag training (for endurance, power, whatever), do it as many times as you can do PERFECTLY each day.

As I try to increase upper body strength through push-ups, I go until I can't hold perfect form anymore. Then I just hold the position for as long as I can perfectly. I would say do the same thing with punches... As many on the bag as you can execute with perfect form. When that suffers, lower the energy a little and do it in the air until that is no longer perfect. Then you're done.

A few other points to consider... Don't cut/bruise/sprain anything (as was said earlier, and proper form can take care of most of those), and make sure you are not neglecting proper stance and stepping as well. WC is about the whole body acting toward a common goal.

Happy training!

-Levi

Martial Joe
11-06-2002, 06:51 PM
Practice makes better.

gnugear
11-06-2002, 09:25 PM
100 – 200

Grendel
11-06-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by taltos
While in direct application this may not be always possible, we have an informal saying at our school...

Practice DOES NOT make perfect...

PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect.

In the context of this thread, I would advise that if you are doing wallbag training (for endurance, power, whatever), do it as many times as you can do PERFECTLY each day.

I would agree with all you've written above. It is important to get proper direction from your teacher on the proper technique.

Regards,

45degree fist
11-09-2002, 02:01 PM
I hit the bag 100 on each side and try it with pak da and tan da as well as bui da i find that helps timing as well as precision. as for my self I use rice in my bag to absorb the strike I am curious to what kind of benefits beans give to the training

IronFist
11-09-2002, 07:02 PM
45degree fist, welcome to KFO.

IronFist