PDA

View Full Version : New Moy Yat school in London?

jameshogg1971
11-06-2002, 03:08 AM
I noticed fliers for a school near Kings Cross. Unfortunately I know nothing about Moy Yat - Can anyone tell me what characterises the style? Also, anyone have first-hand knowledge of the class I am referring to ?

Thanks
James

Vyvial
11-06-2002, 08:31 AM
I've been to the London Moy Yat school about 7 years ago. If it's the same sifu, it's one of my kung fu uncles from NY. It might be one of his students teaching though. I remember them having very good chi sao.

You should go and check them out...

Moy Yat Kung Fu is known for being very traditional with a very high level of chi sao based on the Tsui Ma (Push Horse) energy and never relenting the centerline once taken. We don't perform tricks or feints in chi sao in order to take the centerline, we use structure and horse movement while always demonstrating faan sao (replacing hands) with repeated strikes showing centerline control. We don't play "gunslinger" chi sao, which is used in a lot of WT school (this is not an insult, it just means we have very different concepts in chi sao). "Gunslinger" Chi Sao, is guys who hit just for the sake of hitting without actually showing centerline control, they speed up and lose rythym for each move... It's just very different.

For more about traditional Moy Yat Ving Tsun go to:

http://www.kungfu-videos.com/

or

http://www.moyyat.com/

Any other questions, feel free to ask. But I'm sure the other Moy Yat guys will have their two cents.

jameshogg1971
11-06-2002, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

From what I gather, the chap who teaches is called Roger - surname is Moylon, though I may have misheard this (I certainly couldn't find him on the Web). I phoned him up to try and ascertain how much training he had, who he trained under etc. I got the impression he was a bit suspicious, and didn't wish to answer too many questions. He did say he had trained in the US under Moy Yat ( "and various others").

The main trouble is that the classes are 'closed' which worries me slightly, - I prefer to watch students, as it gives a good indication of teaching standards - although he did suggest I attend one class, pay £8 and join in. Classes are twice weekly at the Peel centre. Does this sound like your class/Sifu?

Thanks,
James

Mizong_Kid
11-06-2002, 09:17 AM
a genuine sifu wud have nothing to hide........nothing to boast and nothing to fear in my opinion......

when i researched about the different sifu's i ended up reading a lot of stories and political issues......rumours....this that and the other.....

i guess it whether u r lucky enough to find one......there are many teachers out there who "claim" to be know this and be taught by .......when really the truth is they are far from genuine......

Vyvial
11-06-2002, 09:19 AM
No, my Sifu is Moy Tung, but I visited the London school. It never had a permanent building, they would rent spaces in different sport centres. The kung fu was there though and my Si Suk (the Sifu of the school) let me stay at his house and drove us around London, it was a good experience.

I honestly wish I could remember his name. It's been so long though, that I can't think of it right now, but if you don't feel comfortable, don't go.

It sounds like this might be the same class I attended, the sifu being a direct student of Moy Yat. If he does have a given name, then he knows his kung fu.

A alot of our family's schools are "closed", we don't let people watch but we do expect them to work out or take a demo class or whatever. I don't like people to watch my class because it makes my students feel uncomfortable, it's better to join in.

I would at least give it a try, it's pretty rare these days to be able to learn from one of Moy Yat's direct students but if you don't feel comfortable then it may not be worth it. I wouldn't make judgement on a phone call alone.

Also Talk to William Moy or Tom Kagen and they could tell you more about ths instructor. Go to the Moy Yat website and contact them, they should know.

hakka mui
11-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Hi James

if possible could you post the contact details of this school please?

Thanks

cha kuen
11-07-2002, 01:12 AM
I met a guy who was from the moy yat -sunny tang- his sifu- lineage

Seems like good stuff.

Wing Chun Books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&)

bougeac
11-07-2002, 06:20 AM
hello mate, i trained with "roger" for a few months about 10 years ago...

it was my first wing chun tuition and at the time i thought it was ok... but being more experienced now and with the benefit of hindsight i would say that he is quite skillfull but not a good teacher, the classes i attended were a bit patchy to say the least and i remember one night to enhance sensitivity he turned the lights out in the kwoon and got everyone to try and fight in the dark.. hmmmmm....

the only grading i did there had some great bits in it, including the question : if you are sitting in a train reading a paper and someone attacks you : how fight??? !! frankly a bit strange really!!

the last time i saw him, he was training in a really rough part of london and was offering one week courses where you learnt the 3 empty hand forms and the dummy form and chi sau!!! draw your own conclusions!!

personnaly if i was going to do wing chun in london i would probably consider victor kan or kamon.

hope its been of help

PQS
11-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Couldn't he have taught the weapons at the weekend (lol)?
regards
Peter

jameshogg1971
11-08-2002, 05:14 AM
They train at the Peel Centre, Percy Circus, Off Vernon Road, Kings Cross, on a Tuesday and Thursday, between 6.30 and 8.30.

jameshogg1971
11-08-2002, 05:18 AM
Yeah, that does sound dodgy - Though I suppose he may have improved given you last saw him ten years ago. I take it he isn't 'Roger' then?

I'd love to go and have a look, but feel a bit uncomfortable about having to join in the class... I'd much prefer silently watching, then walking if I didn't like what I saw!

PQS
11-08-2002, 05:26 AM
I don't know if it's Moy Yat Ving Tsun you want especially but you can normally watch a Wing Tsun class before taking part and your first lesson is free.
they can be contacted at www.wtdefence.com
regards
Peter

Vyvial
11-08-2002, 07:17 AM
10 years is a long time to improve your teaching ability.

Considering a lot of my students came from WT my opinion would go to the traditional stuff first then maybe check out WT's modified system.

I know Jeff Webb here in Austin, I guess him and Keith arepretty much in charge of WT in America since the Emin split, and they don't let you watch classes either.

PQS
11-08-2002, 02:49 PM
R.E. WING TSUN
In the U.K. you may watch a class, if you want to try a class the first one is free.
There are a lot of Different classes in London, namely Clive Potter (wsl) Kamon, Victor Kan (direct IP MAN ) I'ts up to you what you want, maybe have a look in Combat adverts
there is also Austin Goh, Simon Lau, Wai Po Tang, to name but a few.
try a few classes, see what you want, and if its what you want you will enjoy.
One question why Moy Yat? (no disrespect) above others.
regards
Peter

taltos
11-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Hi there!

I'll be crossing the pond in February, and I'd really like to check out the Moy Yat school as well. I've been studying the Moy Yat WC lineage through the VT Museum for 5 years now, and I can definately say that it is a wonderful and deep system. I was lucky enough to meet Grandmaster Moy Yat on two occasions, and he was such a joyful man with a great sense of humor and a genuine love for life. He was very keen on "Kung Fu Life" and applying the lessons of WC to your daily living. In many ways, it straightened me out, or gave me the tools to straighten myself out.

Any info your could provide on the location of the school would be greatly appreciated.

-Levi

jameshogg1971
11-09-2002, 02:07 PM
No reason why really.... I'm just trying to find the best for me: There are a lot of clubs in London. I was about to start one of the others mentioned when i saw a flyer for the Moy Yat school. Thought I'd find out about it before choosing for definite!

PQS
11-10-2002, 03:38 PM
enjoy, and good luck
regards
Peter

Tom Kagan
11-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Any other questions, feel free to ask. But I'm sure the other Moy Yat guys will have their two cents.

Perhaps. However, I think there are those who might prefer my SiHings' current practice of not concerning themselves on whether to spend their saved pennies on England or even on Texas. ;)

Perhaps some here wish they would? What do I know? I can't speak for them, either.