PDA

View Full Version : Terrifica?? Or just wierd-a?

SaMantis
11-06-2002, 09:16 AM
OK, found this on fark.com:

Superhero for Single Girls (http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/terrifica021105.html)

The more I read, the more I kept hoping The Tick would show up ...

Budokan
11-06-2002, 09:23 AM
What a stupid b*tch. I'd like to f*ck her in the mouth with Rolls' tool just on general principle.

Hai_To
11-06-2002, 11:12 AM
I think I'm going to start calling myself Fantastico.

guohuen
11-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Vini vidi vomitus.

rubthebuddha
11-06-2002, 11:30 AM
my best friend sent me that link a few minutes after i saw it here, but his words:

"If this is a real-world super-hero, all I can think of is that it cries out for a super villain!"

:D :D :D :D

KC Elbows
11-06-2002, 11:59 AM
TERRIFICA: I've got you now!
DR. BEERGOGGLES: Fruity drink?
TERRIFICA: Well, just one, I can't get too out of hand.
DR. BEERGOGGLES: That's a beautiful tiarra thingy.
TERRIFICA[giggling]: Thanks.

SaMantis
11-06-2002, 12:19 PM
That vacant, man-hating stare ... I had to do it. I made Terrifica my avatar.

My only worry is that Terrifica is Stacey's alter ego...

Budokan
11-06-2002, 01:11 PM
LOL @ everybody who has posted thus far...! And the avatar is definitely a keeper!

Terrifica (to Budokan): Get your paws off that sweet, helpless young thing, you big smelly brute!

Budokan: Aw, what's the problem, baby? (Slaps Terrifica on the bottom) Budo's got enough going on to take care of you, too.

Terrifica: Vile villain! Cad! Yard snake! (drops her eyes to Budo's massive package) Say, you really have got it going on, don't you? *giggles* Is that a ray gun in your pants or are you glad to see me?

Budokan: I'm Budokan, baby. I'm your arch villain, he who will destroy your Fortress of Solitude with his Kryptonite Turtlehead.

Terrifica: Will you buy me a drink first?

Budokan (laughs): You gotta be kidding me. Let's go.

Terrifica: Will you tell me you love me, even if you don't? And will you cuddle with me afterwards?

Budokan: Sure, sure, just so long as I pop a nut first.

Terrifica: Who are you, masked man?

Budokan: I'm Budokan, baby. I'm Budokan.

Ryu
11-06-2002, 03:55 PM
Silly both ways. The article, and the responses here.

As if the issue about dangers to women aren't serious ones.

Oh well.

I've got a question though. Is parading around in a costume like a superhero a legal thing to do? As you're actually technically being a "vigilante?" (going to bars, looking for trouble, etc.)

Ryu

SaMantis
11-07-2002, 07:13 AM
IMO it's not full-blown vigilantism, Dirty-Harry style; she's just steering women away from potentially dangerous situations.

The issue for women is a serious one, but I think "Terrifica" is putting herself in harm's way by putting on the costume. She's way too visible, and if some guy takes offense at losing a shot at a drunk girl, he might follow her out of the bar, catch her alone and really hurt her.

Stranger
11-07-2002, 10:23 AM
True, the basic issue of predatory dating is serious, but this lady is a joke. She is working out her own issues with men under the guise of a concerned citizen. I wouldn't call her a vigilante in the legal sense, although she does fit the literal definition of the term. Since she doesn't take the law in her own hands, I doubt she'll have any legal problems. Her greatest threat is from the people she interacts with while doing her thing. If she has any friends or family in her life, they should realize that Terrifica needs serious help and that she should not be encouraged to continue.

I think her opinion of women being weak and easily manipulated is the same kind of twisted logic that produced the Salem Witch Trials ( isn't that how the Devil seduces them?). Talk like that does not empower women, it merely inflates this moron's sense of purpose.

I also think it is amazingly arrogant of her to believe that her perceptions are accurate and her input valid, as I doubt she has any formal training.

Suntzu
11-07-2002, 10:44 AM
I can see some chick kickin her azz for messin up her booty action… a broad at the bar mackin some dude might wanna get laid too… just cuz she got played by some dude buyin her drinks don’t mean every other chick is… if she really wanna help… she can let dudes know which chick dude is wastin $$$ on and which chick he might can go home wit...

rubthebuddha
11-07-2002, 11:52 AM
aye. can't remember the psychological term for it, but she's trying to solve her own problems through helping other people -- or what she thinks is helping other people.

her goal is noble, and her intentions seem decent enough on the surface, but i think she's just off her rocker to believe that dressing up in a pink outfit and saving damsels in distress is actually a reasonable thing to do. and the fantastico or whatever guy she's hatin? he's just as fired as she is.

Budokan
11-07-2002, 12:41 PM
I think the psychological term you're looking for is "projecting"? She's projecting her own f*cked up world-view onto others in a effort to ground herself in her own skewed reality.

Anyway, never, and I mean NEVER trust anyone who dresses up like a superhero, no matter what their intentions may be. That's rule #1.

Secondly, I, too, was initially astonished at her claim that she thought women were weak and easily manipulated. Then I took another look at her and wasn't so astonished anymore. There's a lot of self hate and low self-esteem churning in that face, which manifests itself in that cartoonish get-up she's wearing.

This f*cked-up-in-the-head broad is dealing with a lot of inner turmoil and emotional issues and she's obviously blaming men as the causal force that's brought her life to this point of dissolution. In another words, she's one dumb b*tch who hates men and hates herself. She doesn't need a Saturday morning costume, she needs a psychiatrist.

And she'd better get one before her overblown importance coupled with that La-La Land mentality that she's "providing a valuabe service" for women gets her killed -- instead of merely laughed at.

rubthebuddha
11-07-2002, 02:13 PM
not projection, as far as i remember. projection is where you push responsbility and anger on others who are not responsible. stupid case: jim's day sucked, boss yelled at him, girlfriend ****ed him off, car stalled twice on the way home, etc., so he beats the crap out of the dog when he sees a sock chewed up at home. dog might have deserved a yell or a light swat on the bum for that, but instead, gets smacked around badly.

what terrifca is doing is trying to deal with her own problems by helping others through similar problems. it's partially avoidance, because she's not actually dealing with her own **** directly, and it's partially projection, because she's blaming the men of new york for her own problems back home, but there's something bigger going on here.

it's like someone who's a failure in his or her marriage becoming a marriage counselor instead of seeking counseling for themselves.

fits right up there with that "if you can't do, teach" adage.*

or like those martial arts instructors who can't fight for **** and open up their own school. :D

*the whole adage goes "if you can't do, teach. if you can't teach, coach. and if you can't coach, become general manager."

Cipher
11-07-2002, 02:37 PM
Haha, that is the most retarded thing I have seen on the news.

Of course, I hate to see women be taken advantage of but this chickd!ck is crazy.

wufupaul
11-07-2002, 03:36 PM
It's altruism, dude.

rubthebuddha
11-07-2002, 04:16 PM
wufu,

perhaps, but i'd have a hard time buying that as the main reason. i guess i'm just a cynic when it comes to people's motives toward strangers, particulary when they give themselves a moronic nickname and dress up in hot pink super-heroine outfits before they roam the streets, searching for evildoers. sounds like the belfry is missing a few bats to me. especially if she's in love with budokan.

on a side note, i'm still waiting on my robe. any ideas where we can get ours?

wufupaul
11-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Well, I think altruism is what is causing her to act out in that manner, she's just taking it a bit further than most people do. I could think of several other defense mechanisms that she might be suffering from, but, that seems to be the main one that's influencing her behavior. Besides, I'm not getting paid for it, so why should I bother to figure out her problems? haha. Man, I haven't heard anything back about the robes yet. We might have to have someone design our specially made pimp robes. :D

NorthernMantis
11-07-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
I can see some chick kickin her azz for messin up her booty action… a broad at the bar mackin some dude might wanna get laid too… just cuz she got played by some dude buyin her drinks don’t mean every other chick is…

lol that's so true.

Serpent
11-07-2002, 07:20 PM
RTB - Vicarious self-validation? Something like that?

I might become the male equivalent and go around bars protecting guys from really ugly fat chicks taking advantage of their drunkeness.

BeerGoggle Defender: *whispers* Hey buddy, it's beer goggles man! Lose this chick quick, she at least 200lbs and looks like Saddam Hussein's armpit.

Drunken Man: Dayum! Thanks BeerGoggle Defender! I'd have regretted that in the morning!

Fat Chick: Oh blubber! Foiled again! How will I ever get laid?

BeerGoggle Defender: Try laying off the cheeseburgers and running home tonight, barge-arse!

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 07:37 PM
Aren't superhereos supposed to wear their underwear on the outside? I thought there was some rule to that effect. :)

rogue
11-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Here's the villian (http://www.ronjeremy-themovie.com/images/rontopright.jpg)

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
I can see some chick kickin her azz for messin up her booty action… a broad at the bar mackin some dude might wanna get laid too… just cuz she got played by some dude buyin her drinks don’t mean every other chick is… if she really wanna help… she can let dudes know which chick dude is wastin $$$ on and which chick he might can go home wit...

I'd kick her ass if she messed up my free drink action. Get all purdied up to go out and find some sponsers only to have this chick show up? I don't think so.

Serpent
11-07-2002, 08:08 PM
I'm going to arrange a caged NHB match:

Eulerfan vs Terrifica

Who's gonna help sponsor the event?

Serpent
11-07-2002, 08:09 PM
BTW, my money is so on Eulerfan! ;)

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 08:25 PM
I would kick her ass. "Men are always trying to manipulate women."

Yes. And women are always trying to manipulate men and men are always trying to manipulate men and women are always trying to manipulate women. Everybody is trying to get what they want. Quit b!tching and come up with a better strategy.

Let me introduce myself, Terrifica. I'm planet earth. I don't think we've met.

Serpent
11-07-2002, 08:30 PM
You know, I really am in love with eulerfan!

*swoon*

:cool:

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by eulerfan
I would kick her ass. "Men are always trying to manipulate women."

Yes. And women are always trying to manipulate men and men are always trying to manipulate men and women are always trying to manipulate women. Everybody is trying to get what they want. Quit b!tching and come up with a better strategy.

Let me introduce myself, Terrifica. I'm planet earth. I don't think we've met.

Now, if I had said this the world would've come down on me.
eulerfan, we could grow to become life long friends! :D

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 08:42 PM
You know, my first love was an aussie. I got his ass kicked because I convinced him we should cross dress for the Sadie Hawkins dance. I really just suggested it and he thought it would be hilarious. But I still feel that was my fault those three jocks jumped him.

We kept forgetting we were in High School.

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy

Now, if I had said this the world would've come down on me.
eulerfan, we could grow to become life long friends! :D

And the sad thing is, I said that because I have nothing but the deepest respect for and faith in my fellow woman. Don't be afraid to expect us to take care of our sh!t. PLEASE!

Serpent
11-07-2002, 08:50 PM
That's only one side of the coin though, eulerfan. You've also got to convince a good number of women to stop relying on guys because society seems to think they should!

Women and men are responsible for changing those attitudes.

(Taoboy, just friends, ok! ;) )

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 08:54 PM
He shoulda known better. I'm sure he's seen Priscilla. :D

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 09:15 PM
I think it was Aristotle who said we will do whatever we can get away with. It's hard not to. If you can rely on somebody, why not do it.

If a guy is sexist, I don't try and convince him that I'm strong and capable. Why would I even care? I use it to my advantage. I am not above that.

Then again, you have seen my personality. You'd have to be pretty dimwitted to let me convince you that I'm a lost little girl. But lots of guys have let me do it to them. You can tell when a guy is going to underestimate you because you're female and that just has opportunity written all over it.

Like I said, we're all manipulating each other.

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 09:20 PM
Being manipulated is fun. :eek:

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
He shoulda known better. I'm sure he's seen Priscilla. :D

Ugh. Don't get me started on Guy Pearce. He keeps making these Australian movies that aren't being release in the states. I need my fix!

Serpent
11-07-2002, 10:00 PM
Of course, manipulating each other is inevitable. But, if we are going to get anywhere close to utopia, the manipulation has to stop somewhere. But it's like the Shaolin Monks in the old days; if they couldn't kick arse they'd be overrun and not left alone to practice pacifism! Where do you draw the lines? Or do you just accept and make the best of your place in it all? I think Eulerfan goes for the second option right?

As for Guy Pearce, Memento was superb, Count of Monte Cristo was pants. What's he up to now?

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 10:15 PM
I do go for the second option. But having my outlook cuts both ways. I have to take full responsibility for anything that goes wrong in my life. That part sucks.

The Australian movies I spoke of were The Hard Word and Til Human Voices Wake Us.

As amazing as Memento was, Ravenous is my favorite of his movies. I don't know why. Something about that movie just wraps its fingers around my medula oblongata.

Serpent
11-07-2002, 10:22 PM
Aha! Living with the consequences of our actions! Now there's something everybody really needs to get a grip of. Today's litigious society is a perfect example of how people seem to think that someone else can be blamed for anything they don't like, even if it was a direct result of their actions.

Glad you take the rough with the smooth, eulerfan (although I wouldn't have imagined it any other way).

I haven't seen Ravenous. I'll have to look out for it. I was in the city (Sydney) when Guy Pearce was in town for the premiere of The Hard Word. I walked straight into him on the street. Nice guy, he didn't mind at all! ;)

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
:)

Definitely see Ravenous and tell me what you think. I can't figure out what the hell it is about that movie. It's just enthralling.

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Yeah I liked Memento a lot. Haven't seen Ravenous - Robert Carlisle is great too - so it's on my list. What about Time Machine? Anyone seen it? I love that story but haven't seen the adaptation yet.

Serpent
11-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Eulerfan, I'll let you know when I've seen Ravenous.

Toaboy, Time Machine got dodgy reviews, but I didn't see it. Let us know if it's any good.

rubthebuddha
11-07-2002, 10:58 PM
time machine didn't even deserve dodgy. plot was bunk, acting was either overdone or non-existent, and the special effects ... well, they forgot the special part. just go rent "kentucky fried movie" and sit back with some popcorn.

eulerfan
11-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Yeah, gotta agree Time Machine was tripe. Even Guy kinda sucked in it. But I have this little fantasy that he made two such god awful movies to fund those other two that still haven't been released here, maybe because they're like cinematic history or something.

I like him that much. I have to rationalize his mistakes for him.

rubthebuddha
11-08-2002, 12:25 AM
eulerfan, i think that's called a crush. only love could be so blind. ;)

wufupaul
11-08-2002, 03:26 AM
Rub, don't forget Amazon Women On the Moon, too! Fistful of Yen is great, the whole movie gets a thumbs up!

SaMantis
11-08-2002, 07:39 AM
Holy crap, I go away for 24 hours and this thread blows wide open.

eulerfan, I accept your challenge!! Ha HA!! [swooshes cape]

And yeah, Amazon Women on the Moon rocks.
[BB King]"Every seven minutes, a black man is born with no soul."
[Dan "No Soul" Simmons] "Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree..."
[BB King] "Please help Dan and others like him." :D

p.s. - Fistful of Yen, wasn't that in "Kentucky Fried Movie"?

FatherDog
11-08-2002, 09:48 AM
Ravenous was awesome. The banjo chase music had me in tears.

As for Terrifica... sigh. I'm sure lots of women get taken advantage of by men buying them free drinks. I'm sure lots of people get taken advantage of by people buying them free drinks. I'm also sure that a Masked Nanny isn't going to solve much.

Even aside from the general unwiseness of the practice, the interview bits with 'Sarah' give me the impression that she has some serious issues to work out. And this doesn't seem like all that healthy a way to do so.

And eulerfan is rapidly becoming one of my favorite posters ;)

eulerfan
11-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
eulerfan, i think that's called a crush. only love could be so blind. ;)

What can I say? I read an interview with him and he was talking about loving Jeff Buckley.

At that point I was like, "Uncle! Uncle!"

wufupaul
11-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Yeah, SA, it was late at night and I merged them into the same movie, I think. :p

SaMantis
11-08-2002, 12:51 PM
LOL, I do that too. :)

I also get lines from "Fistful of Yen" confused with lines from "Enter the Dragon."

"Yew need towtal concentwation."

wufupaul
11-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Haha, of course. My favorite part in Fistful of Yen is when he turns around and mouths "What the ****?" hahaha.

rubthebuddha
11-08-2002, 02:03 PM
fistful of yen was grand -- i loved the answering machine announcement. so good. spent too much time last night looking for the text for it online, but no dice. :(

and one CANNOT forget catholic high school girls in trouble. ;)