PDA

View Full Version : Can a Wing Chun stylist be more efficient than a Hung Gar Stylist?

alpha03
04-15-2000, 12:54 PM
Can Wing Chun fighting be more effective than the low stances and powerful blocking of Hung Gar? Ahhhh....things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...!!!!

------------------
-A fighter with no foundation is an inefficient fighter

Paul Skrypichayko
04-15-2000, 01:00 PM
Sure, why not?

It all depends on the practicioner, how hard they train, and how well they train.

But if you are talking in a general, controlled test, like say 2 identical twins with the same hours spend in training, I would say the wing chun practicioner would win in the first few years of training. This is simply because there is less for WC people to learn and train. Therefore, they get better at a few things faster than a hung gar person gets better at a lot of things. In 5 years time though, I believe the hung gar person would usually win though.

dooder
04-16-2000, 10:01 PM
I had a sifu who taught fut gar( which was similar to hung gar) and wing chun. I never got to see him fight himself though so I'm not sure which was more efficient and effective . He said which ever style you stick with was best.

04-17-2000, 12:40 AM
i'm just curious but i've heard some people say that wing chun is an "incomplete" system, and i figured this would be a good time to ask why? what is a complete system? is hung gar? thanks

Clint

HuangKaiVun
04-17-2000, 02:04 AM
Can a Wing Chun stylist be more efficient than a Hung Ga stylist? Yes.

Can a Hung Ga stylist be more efficient than a Wing Chun stylist? Yes.

MoQ
04-21-2000, 02:10 PM
Wing Chun is designed to be more efficient than Hung Ga...

The answer is Y-E-S

Sihing73
04-21-2000, 05:47 PM
I have to go along with HuangKaiVun on this one. Either one can be more effective than the other. Of course, since I practice Wing Chun I know Wing Chun is really better /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Seriously though, Wing Chun was designed to reach a fairly good level of fighting ability rather quickly and thus is an excellent choice for learning to fight and being effective. Wing Chun also takes into account many prinicples of combat and some would argue that is was designed to defeat other arts so that could also add to its effectiveness.

But, there are many factors; you could have been taught some crappy Wing Chun and then you could get you butt kicked. The Hung Gar could train five days a week while the Wing Chun guy trains one. IN this case I would lean towards the Hung Gar guy /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The bottom line is that either art can be effective. Choose which one you like and give it your heart you won't be sorry.

As to Wing Chun being incomplete that depends on who you ask /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Some will claim so because they never completed the system. Wing Chun is not a "technique" art but is comprised of principles and concepts which when understood make this a very "complete" system. True Wing Chun contains Chin Na and groundfighting it just is not well known. I once explored the Kali arts thinking it would be anice supplement to my Wing Chun. However, the deeper into Wing Chun I got the more I realized what I was seeking was already there.

I think if one takes the time to explore any art one will be surprised by the depth of knowledge contained within. The problem is too many of us start looking elsewhere instead of working harder on understanding our own art more fully.

Peace,

Dave

Laine Nakachi
10-18-2001, 11:47 AM
I had a sifu who taught fut gar
( which was similar to Hung Gar ) and Wing Chun .

I never got to see him fight himself though ,so I'm not sure which was more efficient and effective .
He said which ever style you stick with was the best.

< Dooder ,

What was the name of the fut gar

sifu ?

Did the fut gar art contain touch / go

movements ? Was the art based on velocity

,instead of brute strenght ? Did the sifu

,emphasize that you work on your ma bu

( horse stance ) , to generate the power ,

in conjunction with velocity in your

blocks and strikes ?

Were you taught to strike as you changed

to the proper stances simultaneusly ?

Just Curious .

Take Care ,

Fe luk

sui-fuw
10-18-2001, 01:10 PM
it doesn't matter,pak-mei stylist would kick both @sses.so your trying to be 2nd of course :D
then it would be wing chun stylist,but not by far. :D :D :D

dooder
10-18-2001, 01:32 PM
The style was a rare family style. The full name is Bak Mei Fut Gar. My teacher was Sifu Peter Nosler of Portland OR. Unfortunatly I didn't get to study that long before he had to change locations and then I moved back to phoenix so i can't answer your specific questions. It was a horse stance style (although fairly relaxed high horse stances) and did involve simultanious blocking striking. It wasn't particularly brute strength oriented from what I could tell. hope that answers somewhat.