PDA

View Full Version : where does the tongue go?

cogg
11-07-2002, 07:18 AM
ive been pondering on this today, so thought id try and get some answers. during chi-kung and kungfu practice i am told that the tongue should be touching the soft pallette at the back of the roof of the mouth, however i have read a few books and they say that the tongue sould be held behind the top front teeth. is this a contradicting theory or is just different styles, different methods?:confused:

SaMantis
11-07-2002, 07:22 AM
Different methods. I've seen both recommended at different places in the same book! With no explanation as to why.

I would say, do it the way your sifu tells you to do it, but ask him/her why (or research why) the methods are different.

Chang Style Novice
11-07-2002, 07:28 AM
I thought it was just to keep your tongue out of the way of your teeth, so if you take one to the jaw you don't bite yourself. In other words, it doesn't matter, it's just a mnemonic or sorts for keeping your tongue away from your incisors. This is also why you want to keep teeth lightly clenched.

But what do I know? That sounds awfully down to earth and practical for a board where people think you should hold your f@rts in to live longer and hit harder (or something.)

Repulsive Monkey
11-07-2002, 07:38 AM
they are not different methods they are just approximations to a finer detail. Tucking the tongue in behind the front teeth alone is insufficient, the reason why one does this is to connect the Du and Ren Channel so as to allow circulated Qi from the Du channel (which has come up the spine and over the head down to Du 28 on the frenulum on the front of the upper gum) down through dehind the teeth but vis the palate through the tongue to connect the the Ren channel (Ren 24 which directs down the frenulum of under the tongue to that specific point) and thus connects the qi to descend down the Ren channel where is crosses over the orifice of the anus. For this jioning to occur one slight pulls the anus upwards and inwards because on either side of the orifice you have Ren 1 and Du 1 and one must makt the connect there too. Hence the Microcosmic orbit is made.

Ford Prefect
11-07-2002, 07:44 AM
I don't know the chi kung reason, but physiologically, pressing your tongue to the roof of your mouth allows you contract your core muscles a lot harder. It's a trick a lot of powerlifters use to keep stable while handling heavy weight. Try it while you are sitting down reading this. Contract your abs as hard as you can. Then push your tongue hard against the roof of your mouth and contract your abs as hard as you can. You should feel a very noticeable difference.

GeneChing
11-07-2002, 10:53 AM
Placing your tongue in different positions during qigong can also increase saliva production. Swallowing your saliva is a big part of many qigong practices.

guohuen
11-07-2002, 11:14 AM
I'm going to rename Gene <Ockham's Razor>. He doesn't miss a trick and always cuts right to the heart of the matter. It's amazing.:D

fa_jing
11-07-2002, 11:18 AM
I thought the tongue was not supposed to go all the way back to the soft palette, but rather was to touch the "roof" of the mouth - the highest point of the hard part of your mouth before it dips down again heading back.

Correct or incorrect???

Water Dragon
11-07-2002, 11:52 AM
The tongue should be move around the whole area, just keep coming back to the little man in the boat.

So Gene admits it, he swallows :D

Yes Gene, I just had to run with it. This thread has been hijacked. Everyone just sit down and cooperate and nobody gets hurt.

Felipe Bido
11-07-2002, 01:32 PM
Man, Waterdragon, I found that very funny! :D

Uhmmm...maybe it was the rum

Water Dragon
11-07-2002, 01:36 PM
Which part? The Gene comment, the hijack comment, o el hombrecito en el barquito?

Felipe Bido
11-07-2002, 02:23 PM
The hijacking part

TjD
11-07-2002, 02:43 PM
the best thing you can do is ask your girlfriend. i'm sure she'll direct you to the proper spot :)

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 03:04 PM
lol @ TjD. :D

The placement of the tongue toward the front of the mouth is a lot easier than toward the rear. FOr this reason a lot of practitioners do it that way (at least at the beginning).

In Qigong, the reason is the Qi connection as RM mentioned and saliva production as Gene mentioned. In fighting, it os both these reasons and to keep your tongue safe (i.e. not between your teeth). It also stops you jawing off in a bad situation. ;)

GeneChing
11-07-2002, 05:57 PM
guohuen: Thank you! I'm very honored by that comment. Although I'd prefer to be called Steppin' Razor ('tis a rasta ting!)

fa_jing: I've heard both.

water drag: I swallow and inhale. It's why I'll never be president ;)

felipe bido: That was sideways hijacking, set out the bait ans see who bites (or who swallows as the case may be.) Kill with a borrowed knife, I always say.

TjD: You're assuming they know where the right spot is. The quest is the thing.

taoboy: I'd also add that placement can be a meditation point.

neptunesfall
11-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
But what do I know? That sounds awfully down to earth and practical for a board where people think you should hold your f@rts in to live longer and hit harder (or something.)

LMFAO!

Serpent
11-07-2002, 07:08 PM
Gene should be called Gene-ious Steppin' Razor.

He manages in a single post to sideways hijack the post and provide concise and correct information on the topic at hand. Then, at the top of the very next page, he steps in and takes his credit.

Gene owns this firum! ;)

On topic, I always heard that writing the alphabet repeatedly with your tongue on the little man in the boat is the best way to continue a seemingly random and ongoing stimulation. Combine that with intermittent all round coverage and Bob's your Auntie's live-in lover.

I've never had any complaints yet at least!

:)

GeneChing
11-08-2002, 10:58 AM
You all keep me kung forum fu sharp!

And if you think the alphbet is cool, let me let you in on an ancient Chinese secret. Try Chinese calligraphy. :p :o

fa_jing
11-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Nothing beats the LOGARITHMIC SPIRAL